Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. Norman has been taken to task and given a proper slap

1. 12h Laurie Penny@PennyRed
      For instance: after my talk today, online speculation about whether @paulmasonnews or @OwenJones84 had actually done the research for me.
      Expand
    2. 13m Spiney Norman@spineynorman78
      @PennyRed At it again. Disgraceful. Context? Requests 4 videos/lectures on commune 2 days b4 = asking others 2 do research. Grow up.
      Expand
    4m Laurie Penny@PennyRed
    @spineynorman78 um- I just wanted something nice to watch while I cleaned my room. Your assumption that I hadn't done the reading says a lot

Hide conversation

fuckin' lol.

Haha she was definitely trying to wing it at the last minute, her defensive reaction gives it away. I can tell, you can't bullshit a bullshitter :D

If someone has said online threats, and said that they made them worried about physical threats, I think it's well off to suggest that it's just trolling, or compare it to our pisstaking.

And I think, to give LP due credit, she hasn't made that comparison afaik. I think she signed on here because she felt we had some common ground and/or was fascinated by our withering critiques. I doubt she signed up as a poster on Don't Start Me Off.

Haha she was definitely trying to wing it at the last minute, her defensive reaction gives it away. I can tell, you can't bullshit a bullshitter :D
I can't tell, tbh. Although I'd guess that doing the reading would also tell you which nice videos on the Commune there were.

oh shit I remember Don't Start Me Off that was a horrible website

Stewart Lee does a bit in his most recent stand up show where he reads off online abuse he has received on websites like DSMO. It's so vicious.

"I hate Stewart Lee with a passion. He's like Ian Huntley to me." Wharto15, Twitter

"Stewart Lee, I will shove my thick cock in your throat you gay lord." Hiewy, Youtube

"Lee spastic cunt." Anon, dontstartmeoff.com

oh shit I remember Don't Start Me Off that was a horrible website

UKIPers:

Rachel Bull 0.88
Bonnie Chebs1.24
Anti-Spack Friday1.55
Laurel and Hardy1.57
What song are you listening to?1.58
Kenneth Williams.1.59
Burt Kwouk1.59
Patrick Moore1.60

AnnoyanceRating
James Corden11.00
Burglars10.96
Smack Heads10.96
Joey Essex10.95
Joyce Thacker10.89
Rotherham Borough Council 10.85

It's not an internet problem it's a right wing internet problem.

http://www.dont-start-me-off.com/OrigIndex.php

Josie Long was on twitter earlier saying she'd been subject to "threats of violence and sexual violence" over a period of years on DSMO, but had been too intimidated to do anything about it.

I can't tell, tbh. Although I'd guess that doing the reading would also tell you which nice videos on the Commune there were.

I don't care that much either either way, if she's tried to blag it by reading wikipedia or something then I can't help but admire the sheer gall of it, I wouldn't dare. But then again just blagging your way through life is what the best schools train you in. They always get away with it :D

Allow me to be devils advocate, maybe she was simply trying to get her legions of followers to read On the Paris Commune by Marx or something? Just earnestly trying to stimulate a bit of interest in the topic before her talk? And we, because of the way every word Penny ever puts onto social media is poured over and deconstructed, have incorrectly read into it something that wasn't there? And then Laurie will victoriously deliver a highly original and barnstorming talk on the Paris Commune, and make everyone here look like fools for doubting her upmost professionalism? We shall see.

Still think calling misogyny on pointing out the crowd-sourcing research is out of line. This thread even at it's worst doesn't deserve to be lumped in with Don't Start Me Off and the like that's ridiculous.

Josie Long was on twitter earlier saying she'd been subject to "threats of violence and sexual violence" over a period of years on DSMO, but had been too intimidated to do anything about it.

It's a site for rightwing people who think they are better than everyone else.

http://www.dont-start-me-off.com/CelebInfo.php?celeb_id=445&SHOW_OLD_COMMENTS=true

80% of people are stupid. As long as you always bear this in mind, most things make sense.
- Ricardo (22/12/12 12:12, 13:12 HGT) Report as offensive

Bendy face is on QI sneering at Christianity. I look forward to him ridiculing Islam during Eid. Or I would if he wasn't a cowardly fucking worm.
- Ricardo (21/12/12 22:38, 23:38 HGT) Reply Report as offensive

Fry's entire life has been, as evidenced in his autobiography and in the Media, a wearying series of self-centred & cowardly acts, interspersed with utterly unconvincing suicide bids and gasp-inducing pomposity. Given that Christianity is just about the last line of defence against a Muslim state in the UK, one might have thought Fry would be a mite more supportive of it. Or is he looking forward to Islam's unique take on homosexuality?
- bismark (25/12/12 23:59, 00:59 HGT) Report as offensive

Gervais is also one for this. Very keen to mock Christians and Buddhists but will never directly slag off Muslims. Hmmm, I wonder why.
- Filippo (26/12/12 00:08, 01:08 HGT) Report as offensive

Sihhi is on the money here i think (and i'd never heard of this site before today) - are people like Beard, long etc criticising it for being right-wing or for being 'the internet'? Why was it shut down, on what grounds?

I agree that it's right wing, but I think that might not be the aspect I focussed on if people were posting stuff threatening to rape me.

From the Guardian piece it looks like the site owners decided to close it:

"After much thought we have decided to close the site. It's been great fun but our job is now done. We wish to thank everyone who we've had the privilege to know and to banter with. We wish you all the best for the future,"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/23/mary-beard-website-abusive-closes

Sihhi is on the money here i think (and i'd never heard of this site before today) - are people like Beard, long etc criticising it for being right-wing or for being 'the internet'? Why was it shut down, on what grounds?

I wouldn't say it was explicitly right-wing. Some of its "twats of the week" included Nick Clegg for being a "judas", Chris Moyles, Cameron ("If it wasn't for the fact that the British public have become some apathetic, and the unions so useless, we'd have hung him from a lamp-post by now") etc.

The "twat of the week" list really doesn't seem too dissimilar to one that this site would likely produce.

I agree that it's right wing, but I think that might not be the aspect I focussed on if people were posting stuff threatening to rape me.

From the Guardian piece it looks like the site owners decided to close it:

"After much thought we have decided to close the site. It's been great fun but our job is now done. We wish to thank everyone who we've had the privilege to know and to banter with. We wish you all the best for the future,"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/23/mary-beard-website-abusive-closes
Absolutely, there's no moral condemnation aimed at them from for responding in that individual manner (if they did).

I wouldn't say it was explicitly right-wing. Some of its "twats of the week" included Nick Clegg for being a "judas", Chris Moyles, Cameron ("If it wasn't for the fact that the British public have become some apathetic, and the unions so useless, we'd have hung him from a lamp-post by now") etc.

The "twat of the week" list really doesn't seem too dissimilar to one that this site would likely produce.

I think it's that petit-bourgeois "small man syndrome" that rubs up against outright fascism.

I'd not heard of the site before today either, but the things that were quoted about Mary Beard reek of deep-seated problems with female bodies.

Anyone else noticed that when Laurie's getting ready to do some Oxbridgesplaining she always starts it off with an 'um'?

Spiney Norman@spineynorman78
@PennyRed At it again. Disgraceful. Context? Requests 4 videos/lectures on commune 2 days b4 = asking others 2 do research. Grow up.

Laurie Penny@PennyRed
@spineynorman78 um- I just wanted something nice to watch while I cleaned my room. Your assumption that I hadn't done the reading says a lot

Brogan Pinko@pinkobrogan
@PennyRed @spineynorman78 why not put the radio on like most people or is it because you are lying?

Brogan Pinko@pinkobrogan
@PennyRed @spineynorman78 "Hey Twitter, help me out. I'm looking for lectures and documentaries on the Paris Commune" - thats not cleaning

@PennyRed Of course u did. Agree it says a lot. Just not what u think it says. It's possible 2 think you're shit without reference 2 gender.

bunnyrabble@bunnyrabble
@PennyRed that guy is a _dick_. you don't owe him an explanation! fucking angry fappers

@bunnyrabble Great how the Laurie Penny sycophants dive in and defend her without a clue what's going on. You're like a cult.

Sounds like bunnyrabble thinks that all men are wankers. I mean, she's right in my case but it's the principle innit :mad:

You have a point Spiney:
from a couple of weeks ago...
Um, I've written loads of articles and a book and given umpteen talks about precisely this topic, the erasure of class consciousness in modern feminism.

On research, you can gauge the masses of research done for Discordia by the whole bibliography AND further reading coming to a single page.

1 recent article from an academia journal

1 blog

1 short NPR item

AK Press's 2 books - (just the one order?, 1 one of which is mostly based on the blog)

1 blog post about ancient literature classic

2 articles from major US publications

1 crappy Dan Hind book about the media

1 crappy compilation by Tom (American workers are so rich class doesn't matter to them anymore, the 70s are the Me Decade everyone is selfish ha ha!) Wolfe

2 classics in literature (one ancient, one modern)

lp2j.png

#@spineynorman78 yeah, I saw. yr problem with LP's identitarian feminism predates that, though, no?#

"Identitarian"....fuck me, that's one for the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom