Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It kind of makes sense within Penny's own fantasy land. She's pretty much perfect - she knows what's going down at all times. So why would anyone criticise her unless it was because she's a woman?

She's basically the essence of all women congealed into one person so if you criticise her you're having a go at all women.

I think she's genuinely so self-absorbed that she really doesn't think there's any reason, other than misogyny, to criticise her.

:confused:

Laurie Penny @PennyRed

Like, seriously. We need a campaign. A real one. What should it look like? #takebackthenet it's beyond time for women to Take Back The Net. Cyberspace is real space and it's ours, too. Who's up for it?

Like, seriously.

The logic, presumably is that by suggesting Jones or whatsisname did her research (two men) were implying that she isn't able to do it herself cause she's a woman. Tenuous.

I'm suggesting that reading a few essays is not research at all.

c'mon now Butchers, you know that even if Laurie had invented a time machine, gone back to the paris commune (or rather a few years before, for the neccessary context of course), and then come back to regale us with her tales of life as a parisian genderqueer woman surviving in the Paris Commune, scraping by on elephant steaks and zebra burgers (yeah, vegan I know but when times are tough and the zoo is the only supermarket around...), and keeping warm by burning revolutionary handbills whilst singing the inernationale, you'd still be criticising her for not having read some boring essay by some stuff old white man telling us what stuffy old white men did in the Paris commune, and you know it, you massive misogynst you! In fact, such is your misogyny that you'd probably go so far as to suggest that she made it all up, because only a man could invent something as awesome as a time travel machine.

The logic, presumably is that by suggesting Jones or whatsisname did her research (two men) were implying that she isn't able to do it herself cause she's a woman. Tenuous.

That is what she is saying:

Laurie Penny @PennyRed

No, I don't get men to research or write my talks and articles for me. Yes, I'm a serious journalist. I know, with these tits and everything

A serious journalist.

Did she join the union as a serious journalist?

Such threats do happen. There's no need to think that it's always us being talked about, when someone says the word Internet.
Hence the 'hmm'. But I sense she was also a bit afraid of someone turning up and 'trolling', ie, asking her hard questions and making her look shit.

Hence the 'hmm'. But I sense she was also a bit afraid of someone turning up and 'trolling', ie, asking her hard questions and making her look shit.
If someone has said online threats, and said that they made them worried about physical threats, I think it's well off to suggest that it's just trolling, or compare it to our pisstaking.

If someone has said online threats, and said that they made them worried about physical threats, I think it's well off to suggest that it's just trolling, or compare it to our pisstaking.
But that may well be precisely the stuff that is being put around by the other side. I'm not saying that it is, but given what we've seen with our own eyes i would not be surprised if this is what took place (which doesn't mean that there were not other proper threats as well). A sort of useful amalgam.

Oh no. Norman has been taken to task and given a proper slap

1. 12h Laurie Penny@PennyRed
      For instance: after my talk today, online speculation about whether @paulmasonnews or @OwenJones84 had actually done the research for me.
      Expand
    2. 13m Spiney Norman@spineynorman78
      @PennyRed At it again. Disgraceful. Context? Requests 4 videos/lectures on commune 2 days b4 = asking others 2 do research. Grow up.
      Expand
    4m Laurie Penny@PennyRed
    @spineynorman78 um- I just wanted something nice to watch while I cleaned my room. Your assumption that I hadn't done the reading says a lot

Hide conversation

Suzanne Moore has had online threats from certain 'MTF' transsexuals see further up and this was apparently her response to LP, I can't vouch for its accuracy:

http://members5.boardhost.com/medialens/msg/1358510890.html

Posted by Tony S on January 18, 2013, 12:08 pm

Via Facebook:

"Well thanks a bunch for doing "little me I am so outside the mainstream media " act for the zillionth time. Its totally dishonest. I have never been anything but supportive to you but that support can never be returned cos its always the poor little girl schtick. Which more than anything else is boring.
Suzanne !"

Reactions: ymu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom