Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you know the ins and outs (personal and political) of a tiny set of people spread across Europe, the history of their interactions and so on, then you are just not going to get what is going on and what actually happened. And frankly, I spent too long on this this time last year, today I'm on a train off on my hols and really reluctant to get back into it all, esp typing on a phone. Maybe wheni get back.

Leninism by the sea.

Unless you know the ins and outs (personal and political) of a tiny set of people spread across Europe, the history of their interactions and so on, then you are just not going to get what is going on and what actually happened.

This is the thing though, anyone who doesn't know the ints & outs of a tiny set of people across europe and the history of their interactions, would be entitled to raise a few eyebrows (at the minimum) when given the surface level facts of the involvement that J has had in relation to all this

At the very least it shows the contradictions inherent in being a 'radical academic'

My opinion is that his academic work brought him far too close to things that contradicted his politics - now this is not something that is specific to academics, we all have contradictions between what we have to do at work and what our 'pure' politics would be. But this case just seemed to stink to someone looking at it from a neutral/non biased viewpoint. Particularly compounded by the rearguard action that was fought on his behalf by various libcom admins (in a manner which reminded me of the way they defended Duave on his pedophilia type outpourings). To be honest i've forgot a lot of the stuff that made me think it was dodgy at the time, and I suspect a lot of the stuff has, like the Duave stuff, been airbrushed out of history. My memory of it though was that the 'prosecution' went far too over the top on their side, almost to the extent of making themselves look like idiots, but the 'defence' wasn't particularly convincing either.

Also noticed she had her Kindle nicked by a 'hipster boy'. That's her phone, her laptop and her Kindle all gone in a few months. Careless.

What's a "hipster" boy?
This, I guess...
dickheads.jpg.638x999_q85.jpg

Also noticed she had her Kindle nicked by a 'hipster boy'. That's her phone, her laptop and her Kindle all gone in a few months. Careless.

Yeah... because someone 'offered to watch her bag' while she went to the toilet in a coffee shop in a strange city. How stupid can you get? The kind of stupidity that only comes from having grown up in a house where expensive things are easily replaced

was reading his book and in it he claimes Hope not Hate as being solely behind the collapse of the Dagenham and Barking BNP vote.

sounds like a big hairy bollock to me, but then what do I know....

Conference season, or the govt wont dare announce anything in the flurry of media so we can all sod off for a bit.

was reading his book and in it he claimes Hope not Hate as being solely behind the collapse of the Dagenham and Barking BNP vote.

sounds like a big hairy bollock to me, but then what do I know....

B & D was about just about every leftist who could manage to, mobilising to canvass for Labour in a sustained manner in the run-up to the election, and even then the BNP gained on previous results.

he is probably a senior lecturer now on on the board of the 'adaptive personnel reconfiguration panel', eg, sacking people...

Herbert Read is back as Cornetto; i am not sacking people on any management panel. In fact i am a UCU organiser and usually on the other end defending members at panels. Still fighting the strutting nazis and dabbling in nihilism when appropriate.

Herbert Read is back as Cornetto; i am not sacking people on any management panel. In fact i am a UCU organiser and usually on the other end defending members at panels. Still fighting the strutting nazis and dabbling in nihilism when appropriate.
| bureaucrat on a bean bag.

All that stuff and you're just a union full-timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom