Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading about it now. That's utterly mental. Did he deny the holocaust because he thought he was countering propaganda against all germans etc then?

seriously, wtf???
He was just a broken loon basically from what i could tell. And just to fill out the bio - he was in Buchenwald for resistance activity against the nazis. But here's the thing, he was accepted pretty much across the left-spectrum in the post-war years.

He was just a broken loon basically from what i could tell. And just to fill out the bio - he was in Buchenwald for resistance activity against the nazis. But here's the thing, he was accepted pretty much across the left-spectrum in the post-war years.

Bloody hell. Holocaust denial was never widespread on the left though following the war was it? Or was it?

No, never. Such a thing didn't really exist then to be honest. Which might go some way to explaining why rassinier was tolerated - that and his being involved in pacifist groups who are largely freaks themselves.

No, never. Such a thing didn't really exist then to be honest. Which might go some way to explaining why rassinier was tolerated - that and his being involved in pacifist groups who are largely freaks themselves.

Fair enough. :D

that faurisson looks like a cunt.

New statesman - got an analysis here of what seats which party will be targeting next election here. Only problem is that it uses the target seats for 2010 as taken from the uk polling report overview and thinks they're the 2015 target list. Not something that i would be caught out spending ages doing at some point last year. No sir.

Camila Vallejo is at the NUS do in the University of East London. How unfortunate that the voice of global youth rebellion is swanning about new york for no apparent reason and whining about being broke. We could've had a proper new left vs old left smackdown.

New statesman - got an analysis here of what seats which party will be targeting next election here. Only problem is that it uses the target seats for 2010 as taken from the uk polling report overview and thinks they're the 2015 target list. Not something that i would be caught out spending ages doing at some point last year. No sir.
And there are plans to gerrymander 'redraw and simplify' the constituency boundaries anyway.

Yeah I know...you don't think it's gonna disappear though do you? The Tories need it to stand any chance in the next election...
The Tories are not finished yet - sadly. It is not just about how people vote but how little choice they have. Given a meltdown of the LibDems, and that seems inevitable, the Tories are likely to pick up a lot of current LibDem seats where they are a close second in areas where there is little Labour presence. That is the West Country and Devon and Cornwall in particular.

Camila Vallejo is at the NUS do in the University of East London. How unfortunate that the voice of global youth rebellion is swanning about new york for no apparent reason and whining about being broke. We could've had a proper new left vs old left smackdown.

It's called the 'Global Student Leadership Summit'

what a strange title, its as if the NUS head honcho's have chosen such a corporate name so they can put it on their CV's,

It's called the 'Global Student Leadership Summit'

what a strange title, its as if the NUS head honcho's have chosen such a corporate name so they can put it on their CV's,
Interestingly, she was followed by "Luis Juste, Director, Santander Universities UK".
His career at Santander began in 1989 and, since then, he has held various managerial positions within the banking group in areas such as trade finance, corporate banking and SME, working in UK, Spain, Portugal and Latin-America.

In the year 2000 he joined the Santander Universities Global Division and was initially responsible for the development of the activity in Latin America. In July 2007, he moved to the UK following his appointment as the Director, Santander Universities UK, the position which he has held ever since.

Why did her Communist parents send her to an elite private school?
It was a subsidised one I think, vouchers and that. The secondary school system is something like 40% public, 50% subsidised and 10% elite private.

I read somewhere it's a school where anti-Pinochet parents tend to send their kids. I can check at some point.

Why did her Communist parents send her to an elite private school?

86796388_883a5dcf22.jpg

Does the church have much influence in Chilean schools, does anyone know? Maybe that was a factor.

It was a subsidised one I think, vouchers and that. The secondary school system is something like 40% public, 50% subsidised and 10% elite private.

I read somewhere it's a school where anti-Pinochet parents tend to send their kids. I can check at some point.
86796388_883a5dcf22.jpg

Does the church have much influence in Chilean schools, does anyone know? Maybe that was a factor.

Don't know. Just struck me as but like the PLO leaderships kids all going to private euro schools.

Looks like the school is more like a hippy alternative co-op sort of thing, rather than a traditional elite private school. For the alternative elite.

Don't know. Just struck me as but like the PLO leaderships kids all going to private euro schools.
It's just a consequence of the policies enacted during the dictatorship. What exists of the public education system is deliberately run down and starved of funds in order to force people to send their kids to fee paying schools.

You may file this away.
I caught up with her father, Reinaldo, on a street lined with auto-mechanic shops and hardware stores — he owns a small air-conditioning and heating business with his wife — and we stopped in a cafe to talk. Reinaldo, a lumbering man with fair hair and melancholy blue eyes, once starred, around 1982, in a popular Chilean soap opera. He is also a veteran Communist Party member and belonged to a political theater group that traveled the country, putting on shows for copper-mine workers. Camila, as a little girl, accompanied him.

For most of Camila’s childhood, the family lived in La Florida, a working- and middle-class neighborhood, where she attended an alternative school called Colegio Raimapu, which educated the children of anti-Pinochet parents (neither Reinaldo nor his wife was ever imprisoned). He told me that she liked art and drawing and was originally going to apply to the University of Chile to study theater design. As a teenager, she joined the Communist Youth. He said he missed having her at home.
This bit is very Barry Mainwaring.
Then the conversation turned to the elections, and he said: “We Communists are used to losing. I tell Camila that she won’t really become a leader until she learns what it is to lose.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom