Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Snooker Championship 2022

stavros

With due respect to the regular snooker thread, the WCs need their own. 17 days of very little but 22 balls, 2 cues and 72 square feet of green baize. And we have two bank holiday Mondays for it this year too.

The bookies have Robertson as the favourite, followed by Trump, O'Sullivan, Selby and Higgins, in that order. Of those who haven't won it before Wilson has the shortest odds, followed by a Chinese trio of Zhao, Yan and surprisingly Ding, who's been shite for a couple of years.

Anyway, televised coverage starts on Saturday, all over the BBC.

While the start of the cricket season is usually greeted by a freak snow storm, the snooker world champs invariably occurs during the first heat wave of the year. Tradition seems to be continuing.

Every shot live. That's a lot of pots.

So who are you backing? I'm not gambling anything, but I'll tip Selby. He and O'Sullivan are the only ones since Hendry to successfully defend the title.

So who are you backing? I'm not gambling anything, but I'll tip Selby. He and O'Sullivan are the only ones since Hendry to successfully defend the title.

I'd go for Ronnie over Selby.

I reckon Zhao could make the final the way he is playing today. Early days though.

With due respect to the regular snooker thread, the WCs need their own. 17 days of very little but 22 balls, 2 cues and 72 square feet of green baize. And we have two bank holiday Mondays for it this year too.

The bookies have Robertson as the favourite, followed by Trump, O'Sullivan, Selby and Higgins, in that order. Of those who haven't won it before Wilson has the shortest odds, followed by a Chinese trio of Zhao, Yan and surprisingly Ding, who's been shite for a couple of years.

Anyway, televised coverage starts on Saturday, all over the BBC.
On Eurosport 1 at the moment.

Zhao does look very good, although is he mature enough yet to do the long matches in the latter stages? Would a Higgins or a Selby test his patience?

Selby was poor yesterday, and would've lost to a more clinical opponent.

It struck me yesterday how confusing some snooker terminology must be to those new to the sport. The left and right corners are on the left and right, and "top side of the blue" is as it describes on our screens. However the top cushion is in fact at the bottom of what we see.

Zhao does look very good, although is he mature enough yet to do the long matches in the latter stages? Would a Higgins or a Selby test his patience?

Selby was poor yesterday, and would've lost to a more clinical opponent.
Yeah, that's why I made the distinction between making and winning the final. He's clearly good enough but his maturity or lack of experience may let him down. It's a bloody long tournament and that suits the older players rather than the adrenalin fuelled potting junkies.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's why I made the distinction between making and winning the final. He's clearly good enough but his maturity of lack of experience may let him down. It's a body long tournament and that suits the older players rather than the adrenalin fuelled potting junkies.

It is a long tournament, the energy of youth may prevail. :)

How often are the players' nicknames actually used? E.g. angry farmer, thunder from down under??

I assume it's just a thing for TV? I don't watch loads of snooker fwiw.

How often are the players' nicknames actually used? E.g. angry farmer, thunder from down under??

I assume it's just a thing for TV? I don't watch loads of snooker fwiw.
Usually as they make their way to the table.

Occasionally during commentators bantz.

A lot of them have their nicknames as part of their social media usernames too.

Reactions: MBV
Lisowski: "A keen reader, he lists The Times as his favourite newspaper and The Economist as his favourite magazine. "
:(

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh looks an interesting player
Yao Bingtao another new face for me - both playing well

Yao Bingtao another new face for me - both playing well
Yan Bingtao did win the Masters last year, so he's not an unknown. Before Xhao appeared Yan was probably the second most well known Chinese player, after Ding.

I didn't see the morning session, but it's interesting that Ding has a narrow lead on Wilson going into tonight's session.

really enjoying this tournament - havent watched it during covid times - great to see fresh faces in amongst the pool - new to me anyway...Zhao Xintong v Stephen Maguire had some great shots in it - Zhao did this one tricks shot off the blue to get a snooker that was something else.
anyway, theres nothing like snooker when you're in the mood for it!!

Back
Top Bottom