Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

County Championship 2023

Not followed County Cricket for years because I've not seen (not really looked for, admittedly) good cricket feeds.

One thing that confuses me on coming back to it is that the counties with most players in last test Durham and Yorks are in League 2, and Yorks are bottom :eek: Are there so many internationals that they never get to play county?
That's part of the explanation. In Yorks and Durham's case, this season's teams have lacked players due to the IPL rather than England. Root, Brook, Stokes and Wood were all at the IPL. Don't think any of those have turned out for their county even once this season. Mark Wood turns out for Durham perhaps once every two years. Ben Stokes not much more than that.

Also Durham were financially horse-whipped by the ECB a few years ago over a debt they had to ask for help with. Ian Botham was flown in to become chairman and make sure they were fucked over properly. A whole raft of senior players left. They've languished in Div 2 ever since.

Just watched it, ta :)

I see cricket's gone to the silly numbers on their backs too :rolleyes;

It's tricky to find on youtube what do you normally search?
Oh - actually I don't mind the numbers on shirts..
Long overdue in my opinion...
I would suggest first going to the particular County website for a link..
Even better - try going along to a ground if possible :)

View attachment 379147

the skill required in losing that match was quite high...
Or maybe the skill and determination of winning was even higher..:)
Anyway - we are all cricket fans here..
I know Surrey are not the most popular team in some quarters here..
Citing that one hates a particular County is rather sad..(not you by the way..)
We have enough vitriol and hatred in football threads on here..
Today was a great day of cricket...
If it had been the other way around I would have clapped the Kent team off....

Or maybe the skill and determination of winning was even higher..:)
Anyway - we are all cricket fans here..
We have enough vitriol and hatred in football threads on here..
Today was a great day of cricket...
If it had been the other way around I would have clapped the Kent team off....
This is fair enough. I also applaud the crowd for enduring five sessions of Dom Sibley. :D

No you mean me. Name me.

FWIW, it's done more (though not absolute) in jest. Though with reason, which you wouldn't want to hear. It's nothing like hating Arsenal/whoever. But you don't want to hear why because you are so upset someone could dislike your entitled club. And that's cool. Ish.

And you're right, I am sad. Though again, not for reasons you think, or have any idea of (because you obviously don't read forum-wide. Again, not a criticism.)

If it's any help I hate (ooh, such a strong word - if you're too illiterate to read context) Middlesex more. For similar reasons but associated with age.

But I've never slagged off a fellow cricket follower in Urban threads. Or called them sad.

not sure i'm allowed to mention the cricket based entertainment form that is T20 on this thread, but seriously, wtf?

kent are complete crap for 4 or 5 games then suddenly remember what to do, middlesex lose 10 games on the trot then chase 252 down with 4 balls to spare.

:confused:

Don't see many triple hundreds.

Was highly rated as a teenager, never quite came through. Muyeye is another who's very highly rated and made a big hundred yesterday. Ben Compton was a late starter, but has piled on the runs in the last couple of years. There is a case to be made that Zak Crawley is the third-best opener at Kent and the fourth-best batter.

In proper cricket news Sussex staved off defeat today by closing out the last 21 overs (and 2 balls) with their last pair at the crease against Glamorgan.

In astonishing (to me) news, they got all 96 overs in. I live an hour down the road and you wouldn't have had any play at all here today.

Anyway, undefeated all year in proper cricket. (One win, seven draws).

Now it's nearly Christmas and the county championship is allowed back; Sussex (unbelievably) managed to set Leicestershire a mere 499 to win.

Sussex won by 15 runs. They got 483 of them. That almost feels like a defeat. We were only saved by signing Unadkat for the last couple of games. He got 6 of the second innings wickets. Our bowlers are shit. And now I hear Robinson is in trouble not just with England but with Sussex too.

kent have drawn

nottinghamshire really not doing very well...

hidesbehindsofa.gif

And....Middlesex down, good stuff.

Sussex got 3rd in Div 2 and have decided they now have the money to bring in some players older than 12. Some of the youngsters are coming on (and some aren't) so maybe we'll be properly challenging next year. If we stop being so sweary and getting docked points. Our game against Leicestershire, referenced a few posts above, led to 14 points lost in penalties and 4 players unavailable for the next game.

Back
Top Bottom