Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where were you when you heard the Queen died?

Driving my wife home from work, we had been having a discussion about whether the BBC would show Masterchef, which we were looking forward to watching. "She's only ill," I said. "They won't cancel Masterchef for that."

Parked the car, my wife went into Lidl. Got an alert on my phone, "Queen dies aged 96"

Wife came back with her groceries, opened the passenger door. "Well, that's Masterchef fucked," she said.

I was at work, making subtitles for her obituary.
I am at ITN at the moment and the edit hub/technical drives bit went into meltdown yesterday due to the sudden volume of royal news/docs being cut.
When I upload voice over I pick it up from the ITN drive, it's usually easy to find as it's the only one. . . . but the last few days there have been endless bins of VO called 'Charles' . Unless someone called Charles has been super productive recently.

I wasn't watching tv but my phone alerted me about 6.30pm. I would still have been at work at 3.30pm and was definately home when i saw it. They said she was ill about lunchtime.
Not here it wasn't, it was actually 6.30pm, the 6 o'clock news on the BBC started with "the queen is unwell, doctors in attendance" story, it wasn't announced until half past.

She may of died around that time possibly earlier or a slightly later but not announced til 6.30
You are probably right, it just seemed a lot earlier. :(

We had just come back home after attending the wake/ celebration of the life of a dear old friend. We were about the first to leave the bar where the do was, and I would imagine it was still pretty busy when the news broke.

My mate was an ardent antimonarchist, and it comforted me to know that he would have been highly amused to find out The Queen pegged it on the day of his funeral & wake.

You are probably right, it just seemed a lot earlier. :(
The official version of timing that I believe we've been given if we piece together the various bits of info the press have acknowledged so far was:

Government informed that she was in dire straits at about 12 (can be seen in live parliamentary coverage via Zahawi turning up and talking to Truss while Starmer was responding to her energy bills plan), public statement about doctors concern at about 12.30.
Government informed at about 4.30pm that she had died, public told at 6.30.

Decoding that further requires some speculation. The behind the scenes version of the news the day before, that the privy council meeting was postponed, may have included the expectation that this was the end for her. Princess Anne has said that she got to spend the last 24 hours of the Queens life with her. Dont know how far the info conveyed to government at 12 noon actually went, but probably quite far. And the likes of the BBC weren't really in much doubt about her death having happened or being imminet by early afternoon - they really treated the 12.30 statement as significant enough to activate their death coverage plans properly, and people on this forum were already commenting about news presenters wearing black by 1.29pm. There was speculation of a statement to be made at 3pm, which didnt happen, but even the likes of Witchell then started referring to those rumours about statement timing on air.

Last edited:
I was on the 101 bus, just passing the Black Lion leisure centre. I punched the air, let out an exultant "Ave it!" then got off 3 stops later and promptly stood in a turd.
I've got 4 more pages to read in this thread, but you win tony! :thumbs:

I was in my counting house, counting out my money. Whilst my wife was in the parlour eating bread and honey.

Fucking blackbirds…

At the office watching a producer from BBC Frozen Planet talk about it as part of an event organised by environmental interest group at work

The official version of timing that I believe we've been given if we piece together the various bits of info the press have acknowledged so far was:

Government informed that she was in dire straits at about 12 (can be seen in live parliamentary coverage via Zahawi turning up and talking to Truss while Starmer was responding to her energy bills plan), public statement about doctors concern at about 12.30.
Government informed at about 4.30pm that she had died, public told at 6.30.

Decoding that further requires some speculation. The behind the scenes version of the news the day before, that the privy council meeting was postponed, may have included the expectation that this was the end for her. Princess Anne has said that she got to spend the last 24 hours of the Queens life with her. Dont know how far the info conveyed to government at 12 noon actually went, but probably quite far. And the likes of the BBC weren't really in much doubt about her death having happened or being imminet by early afternoon - they really treated the 12.30 statement as significant enough to activate their death coverage plans properly, and people on this forum were already commenting about news presenters wearing black by 1.29pm. There was speculation of a statement to be made at 3pm, which didnt happen, but even the likes of Witchell then started referring to those rumours about statement timing on air.

Just another little snippet to add to that picture:

She told the News Agents podcast, presented by Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel, on Wednesday that the note was written in “plain English” and said: “The Queen is unwell and Keir needs to leave the chamber as soon as possible to be briefed.”

Rayner told the podcast: “I read between the lines on that, because you don’t get a note saying the Queen is unwell if she’s got a bit of a cough or a cold.”

The MP for Ashton-under-Lyne added: “I was trying to get the note to [Starmer] without being too dramatic, but also not knowing exactly what was going on, but I needed to get him out of the chamber.

Rayner said when the note was passed, she looked over and caught the eye of Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Commons Speaker, who indicated that she needed to speak to Sir Keir immediately.

“He’s giving me the nod of ‘this is actually quite urgent’,” she said. “So I kind of knew that it was quite an important moment.”

At work settijg up a soundcheck for a gig. Started getting messages about whether or not it was going ahead. Well it was a left wing band in an Irish owned venue so err yeah.

Back
Top Bottom