Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where were you when you heard the Queen died?

The telly was on but I was chatting to my grandchildren, about the Queen and how this was historic moment etc. etc (they weren't terribly interested). BBC telly was still refusing to acknowledge that she was dead, but my daughter sent me a text (from the other room) with an announcement from BBC News website that the Queen was dead. A couple of minutes later, a banner announcement came across the telly, which was Huw Edwards being mournful and clearly personally distressed, saying that they were interrupting this programme to bring a newsflash. The newsflash was Huw Edwards being mournful and clearly personally distressed but actually telling us the Queen was dead.

We told the children they would remember this moment. because it is a historic moment. I wonder if they will.

I remember Churchill's state funeral being on telly from when i was about 7. Didn't really know who he was, but I knew it was significant. Not sure if this is similar or not, since there was not the opportunity for the same blanket media coverage back in those days. I reckon the grandkids will remember.
I remember Churchill's funeral. Lots of my friends in primary school went with their parents from Croydon up to London. At the time I felt I was missing out, but I soon got over it.

I remember Churchill's funeral. Lots of my friends in primary school went with their parents from Croydon up to London. At the time I felt I was missing out, but I soon got over it.
I lived in the North East of England, so no-one considered watching it, but my parents must have been solemn or something for me to take note of what was on the telly and ask them about it, I guess.

Diversity of saying that our scumbag royals are alright really? Nah, we have all the media doing that. That's not diverse, that's just arse-licking.
You’re the arse-licker. You’re playing up to your pals here on this silly no-mark forum that the rest of the world ignores.

Honestly, who uses forums these days anyway? Where’s the Reddit sub? Can’t do that, I suppose because some people would have to start again from zero.

Aye, apart from this and the nazi salute, she was lovely! View attachment 342194
Swings and roundabouts. Yes, she was present when one of the last tigers was pointless killed, but the Guardian's fashion editor has praised her for donning khaki trousers, creating a uniform of her own based on the clean lines of an A-line skirt, and demonstrating her keen eye for a clear silhouette.

Trouser Ambassador of the Year

Last edited:
In the days or even weeks leading up I was unaware she was poorly then in the day a friend What’s App group was lit up. I don’t know that time we were informed but I found out around 6pm via BBC news. I spotted that Huw was on repeat so later wasn’t sure if I was hearing a repeat of the announcement when I turned the telly.

I then had a bit of a cry, it had been a happy sad for other reasons & the solemnity got to me.

Watching Pointless thinking she better not die before the end, then the pair I didn't like won. Think I was getting my tea afterwards and my ex said she'd died.

You’re the arse-licker. You’re playing up to your pals here on this silly no-mark forum that the rest of the world ignores.

Honestly, who uses forums these days anyway? Where’s the Reddit sub? Can’t do that, I suppose because some people would have to start again from zero.
Ha ha. . . oooooh, get you.

I don't remember Churchill's funeral I was 7 at the time, I am therefore hopeful that my grandsons (the elder is a little over five and a half) will thus not remember this Mandatory Grief Fest but will be able to look forward to Chucky's
Mrs Q was talking to her Dad at the weekend and whilst as always she had be to be careful to avoid giving him the opening to start talking about his time in the RN she did ask him about Brenda coming to the Golden Seat.
He recalled that since Brenda was only 25 when she became Queen and WW2 was not long over, that there was lots of talk about bright new futures for the country and a new era with a new Queen on the thone, he reckons it would be hard sell trying to convince people it's a new era with a King who's a pensioner.

Swings and roundabouts. Yes, she was present when one of the last tigers was pointless killed, but the Guardian's fashion editor has praised her for donning khaki trousers, creating a uniform of her own based on the clean lines of an A-line skirt, and demonstrating her keen eye for a clear silhouette.

Every one of those outfits is fucking awful. Who are they actually trying to kid with this bullshit?

To be fair, it’s the least worst outfit.

I was in the greenhouse sowing fava beans and the wife came to tell me. Then I set some winter lettuce. I'm only jotting it down here as I doubt it'll be one of those "everyone remembers where they were when..." events.

Back
Top Bottom