Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How Has The Queen Dying Personally Affected You?

The media coverage of it does create an impression of a nation moved to tears, and that can create a feedback loop where people, or more specifically institutions and organisations, feel obliged to play along. But out there in the real world amongst real people I'm not seeing it.
I was joking on facebook yesterday that there's never been a better time to talk to your children about Antonio Gramsci's theory of cultural hegemony, but then I did talk to them about it later in the evening and they totally got it

The train strikes being postponed make a difference to what I’ll be doing over the next couple of weeks. Mostly positive because it’ll make various things possible again, but at this moment the change is slightly stressful.

We've got the day off on Sept 22nd. We also should still have Oct 3rd off for her birthday.. which seems a bit weird and I suppose will be sorted out next year sometime.

I was joking on facebook yesterday that there's never been a better time to talk to your children about Antonio Gramsci's theory of cultural hegemony, but then I did talk to them about it later in the evening and they totally got it
It's a struggle to get the boy to talk about anything other than Splatoon 3 at the moment.

Over here the news keeps showing the clips of Queen Elizabeth shaking hands with McGuinness and then speaking Irish whilst Mary McAleese big mouths "wow"...

I am more pissed off with the clip of Mary McAleese and her ignorant "wow" than coverage of the queen tbh...

Judging by the way the queens life and work is being shown on bbc...Charlie has a lot to live up to...
Probably shitting himself...

As for brass necked Andrew hogging the limelight at Balmoral ...going round hugging his daughters...reading all the messages and up front with the crowds.....urgh... what a patheric prick. No doubt his shit hastened his mother's denise.

All a load of hangers on...milking the people for all their worth.

Very surprised at how many people are fooled by the whole thing.

As for brass necked Andrew hogging the limelight at Balmoral ...going round hugging his daughters...reading all the messages and up front with the crowds.....urgh... what a patheric prick. No doubt his shit hastened his mother's denise.
There’s clip of him “comforting” one of his daughters by feeling her arse. Thoroughly disturbing.

I can see no difference between making an emotional commitment to a football team and making an emotional commitment to a monarch.

I don't like sportsball either, but that's a totally bogus comparison.

A bit annoyed as we'll have a day off but presumably will be shut so we can't do anything. Country walk may be in order, but hoping pub will be open somewhere!

Why would the pubs close? I guess there'll be the occasional mad flag-shagger landlord, but very few boozers are in the position to close on a bank holiday right now unless they're compelled to

Just had pages of info through on local GMB WhatsApp group and work (NHS) group telling us all the things to do for this, including cancelling some appointments, making space for flowers and books of remembrance, etc.

So very tempted to ask how so many people are dying needlessly due to underfunding, poverty, etc. and none of them get this treatment, yet this old women that just died 'ruled over' that all happening without a murmur of a complaint.

I'm on hols this week so it's a bonus day for me personally. Bit of a nightmare for the planning team at work though who will have to reschedule everyfuckingthing as we are all on carefully tetris-ed schedules for different clients.

Taking BB1 to uni on Saturday, two of us in the car with all her crap, the other two plus dog on train, only the RMT was going to be on strike, that's now called off 'out of respect' and we're good to go :)

Taking BB1 to uni on Saturday, two of us in the car with all her crap, the other two plus dog on train, only the RMT was going to be on strike, that's now called off 'out of respect' and we're good to go :)
We're shipping Youngest Q back on Sunday along with all her crap. This is her second year so it's crap that she had in student accomodation that is being moved (via my garage and spare room) to a rented house she will share with 6 others.
When we moved Son's crap at the end of his degree I needed to hire a van.

Only in a slightly vexed way cus it's difficult to escape on the radio and TV.
Also one of my cousins in the USA who loves the royals sent a message, which I've ignored because she knows I'm an anti monarchist.....

Other then that happy to either have a bank holiday or get paid time and 2/3.

I don't get people who have been crying or been upset at the death of the Queen. The only time I have welled up since she died was when someone I follow on twitter told us that her 13 year old dog had died.

I am appalled how many Americans are fawning over the death of this old woman.

To me, the concept of royalty is completely un_american

I don't see why people think she was so great.

How much territory did Ghengis Khan or Alexander the Great capture?

How much did she capture?

I think you'll find we're actually in deficit during her reign and we in fact lost territory.

I'm trying to get home to Somerset from London, and there are no available advanced tickets on my line. None.

I have never seen a sniff of the concept of a 'sold out' train on my (Waterloo to Yeovil Junction) route, but there are now zero available advanced tickets all week :hmm:

Shirly this is a glitch in the matrix, right, and not the actual outcome of the (return of the) flood of people in London this weekend?

Back
Top Bottom