Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How Has The Queen Dying Personally Affected You?

the street fair/jumble sale that was meant to be on today is a washout with less than 10 stalls cos so many assumed it was cancelled. Swizz. All they had in the way of books are kids ones and those 4-in-1 readers digest condensed hardback books that always turn up in boot sales. Those are shelf ornaments mostly.

I had to go find my mourning hat.

Also, all the telly times have gone wonky.
However, 2 bank hols is not to be sniffed at.

On the 19th TFL Will be running a a different tube timetable. One that's an hour longer than normal.

Today we received a note warn of warning about this and some other instructions that I'm not at liberty to disclose.

My shift will change. I suspect I'll be starting and finishing an hour later than previous planned.

As yet not a lot, it's main effects on me so far are it has been the main subject of conversation on Urban (displacing the CoL crisis) and I have been forced to give up watching live TV for the moment. I don't know if I will get Dead Queen's Day off as a BH yet (probably) but if I do it will cost me money (or rather my incarnation as a company) since I am freelance. It will probably have further minor effects on me that I don't know about yet. Still missing out on feeling any sort of grief over it though.

CoL crisis?

Edit: oh yeah, cost of living. I’m used to seeing “City Of London” written down like that.

Fuck me, just turned on telly and Sky News are determined to out-lickspittle everyone else - there’s nothing else on all day! :eek:

Last edited:
I’ve been telling friends in London that I can’t come to their gig cos I’m too sad about the Queen. I don’t think I’ve convinced them that’s the case though.

i had already booked monday 19th off as holiday - need to see if that gets changed to bank holiday and i get a day's holiday back

i'm also going to have to sort out some bus services for the bank holiday - whether things are going to be sunday service or saturday service or what. somewhere between the two / special timetable means more work...
I don't know if my work are closing on the monday bank holiday. I think they probably will close but i haven't heard anything yet.

If they don't then i probably won't book a days holiday and save it for something else.

Triggered a lot of people on twitter.

I don't think I've been this low level (ie I'm screaming my head off) in my life, also a bit scared of how 'normal' people can become so massively indoctrinated in a matter of days.

Also, wrote a complaint letter, because at 35, I have entered my "IMPOTENT RAGE" phase of my life.

Millwall was just turning a corner of bad form and we had two very tasty games up, one cancelled the other in doubt.

Cancelled 2 local festivals (Newham Unlocked in Central Park yesterday, and Turning Tides on the Greenwich Peninsula which was supposed to be the whole weekend) that I'd have liked to go to - well maybe both would have been a bit much, but I'd have been up for one or the other.

It feels like summer has been ended prematurely (and not just in the sense of the weather!)

Triggered a lot of people on twitter.

I don't think I've been this low level (ie I'm screaming my head off) in my life, also a bit scared of how 'normal' people can become so massively indoctrinated in a matter of days.

Also, wrote a complaint letter, because at 35, I have entered my "IMPOTENT RAGE" phase of my life.
I think that they've not been recently indoctrinated. If you'd talked to them hypothetically some time ago to find out what they'd do/ how they'd react, I think it would have been similar. It always has been: the parade, the spectacle, the something that acts as a lightening rod for personal grief and worries. This is how come we've had a monarchy for so long - the parliamentarians can't invoke that level of "loyalty" and "respect".

It's cost me a day's pay.

On the other hand, we went to a nice pub down by the river last night that would usually be packed on a Saturday evening and it was pleasantly quiet.

It's emphasised to me how far back to the right the corporate media has swung.
It's made me feel that folk care more for the royal family than people far more deserving of their care and attention, but I recognise it's more complicated than that really
Hard to tell what else is at play with this gloominess though, sliding into a colder time of year doesn't help.
I'm a total anti-monarchist, but (no, not but wasn't she wonderful) for those of us who just about remember the queen as middle-aged (or young, for many) there's perhaps a sense of our getting older, the world changing, what next (and fucking hell, the thought of even more Charles and bloody William pushed onto us).

Last edited:
You won't get far telling people that they oughtn't to be emotional about something.

Such deaths typically remind people of the deaths or impending deaths of friends or family, or of their own mortality.

If you chose a particular moment to be emotional about something private, perhaps something that reminded you of a loved one, you probably wouldn't look kindly on people telling you to "just stop this now please".
Not totally sure that holds up. People can be emotional about whatever they want, and as you say, I, like everyone else, have taken particular moments to be emotional about things that reminded me of a loved one. I didn't ask, or expect, all the strikes and football games in the country to be cancelled last time I felt a bit sad though.

Not totally sure that holds up. People can be emotional about whatever they want, and as you say, I, like everyone else, have taken particular moments to be emotional about things that reminded me of a loved one. I didn't ask, or expect, all the strikes and football games in the country to be cancelled last time I felt a bit sad though.

Those are two totally different things though. Members of the public being emotional at the moment aren't asking for such cancellations. Rather, the cancellations were long-planned and would have happened regardless of whether Dave the taxi driver shed a tear on the tellybox. Telling him to stop being silly isn't going to make your footie match go ahead, or make him or anyone else who is upset feel better.

Last edited:
Those are tow totally different things though. Members of the public being emotional at the moment aren't asking for such cancellations. Rather, the cancellations were long-planned and would have happened regardless of whether Dave the taxi driver shed a tear on the tellybox. Telling him to stop being silly isn't going to make your footie match go ahead, or make him or anyone else who is upset feel better.
Do you think this thread is mostly about Dave the taxi driver, or is it about things being cancelled?

Back
Top Bottom