Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How Has The Queen Dying Personally Affected You?

Do you think this thread is mostly about Dave the taxi driver, or is it about things being cancelled?

The post you were replying to was on the topic of people's emotional responses, I'm not sure it matters what the thread is mostly about.

But if the queen dying has only personally affected Urbanites to the extent of things being cancelled it's probably a good thing.

do they really? I've not encountered anyone yet who's feelings on the matter go beyond mild sadness. There's a really weird separation between the media / establishment reaction to this and how normal folk are actually reacting.

In my personal experience, yes. Clearly yours is different 🤷‍♂️

I can see no difference between making an emotional commitment to a football team and making an emotional commitment to a monarch.
I'm not emotionally attached to any team. I follow some out of interest, I watch the sport because I enjoy watching the game. I do not get attached to any player. The teams I follow I follow because I've lived in the towns from which they come. I have been known to cheer and celebrate good play for both teams in a game.

I don't know if my work are closing on the monday bank holiday. I think they probably will close but i haven't heard anything yet.

If they don't then i probably won't book a days holiday and save it for something else.
Had an email from my boss now saying we are closing on monday.

I love it as a broadcast media nerd. All those years of rehearsals for 'London Bridge' finally happening. Huw Edwards with some olympic standard filler before the official announcement, black ties at the ready, interviews with randoms off their nut outside the palace at 3am. Hopefully more still to come.

It's bonkers and fascinating.

The ongoing roadworks at the KGVI Bridge that have been forcing me to take a convoluted route through the city centre to work were completed in two days flat so they could get the cortege through. So that's a plus - they were scheduled to go-on till the eighteenth! :)
Strange that, eh?
I managed to get to and from Fife yesterday without being caught up in any cortege nonsense in Dundee so apart from laughing at many of the comments on here and being mildy disappointed at a handful of FB friends posting about it it hasn't affected me at all, nor do I expect it to. Time for them all to feck off though.

Had an injection at the GP booked for Monday and it’s now cancelled, they’ve put me down for Friday in the middle of the day rather than after work but I’ll have to cancel that as it’s shopping day that day and I’m not cancelling that.

Comedic moment “why are you closing?” “It’s the funeral” “yeah? And?” stoney silence

what kind of unhinged things have people you've personally experienced been doing? Other than posting that weird Paddington meme on facebook?
There’s quite a few people at my work who seem to have dived right into the deep end, with one fella walking around wearing a black armband and a Union Jack like a cape being a notable highlight. But then I work in an institution that has over 8000 staff, so you’d expect a fairly broad range of reactions…

I love it as a broadcast media nerd. All those years of rehearsals for 'London Bridge' finally happening. Huw Edwards with some olympic standard filler before the official announcement, black ties at the ready, interviews with randoms off their nut outside the palace at 3am. Hopefully more still to come.

It's bonkers and fascinating.
You’d enjoy chatting with a freelance colleague of mine - he’s going to be one of the cameraman in Westminster Abbey.

Just fortunate not to be in England presently where many folk appear genuinely unhinged about it.

When I took the kids to the funfair on Saturday it did occur to me that there might be some impact of all this nonsense.

We walked past a shoe shop and on the electronic screen that usually shows hyperactive teenagers dressed in primary colours wearing SHOES there was a black screen with the message We pay our respects blah blah blah.

We walked past a church with a sign outside saying We are open for you to pay your respects blah blah blah. There was a bored woman sat outside staring at her phone. As we approached she looked at us hopefully, which turned to resignation as we passed by. It obviously wasn't busy.

The funfair was heaving. The park was full of people doing what they do in parks. The shops in the town centre were the usual Saturday afternoon packed. There was no sign of a nation gone wild with mourning.

The idea that England has become unhinged with grief is purely a media creation. I'm sure if you head down to Buckingham Palace it'll be easy to find royalists crying into their thermos flasks; if you look for it on Twitter there'll be all manner of extreme reactions, same as there always is on Twitter about any topic. But at the supermarket, outside the school gates, at work, it's just not something I see having an impact on people. The only glimmer of excitement is the bonus day off work.

Very true. Nothing like Brexit and the streets packed with flag waving zombies to make you realise what a minority camp you are in.

Tbf, when you consider the number of people not there, you are in the majority!

And for a lot of people out for this it will be for the sense of having Been There or to put on their social media rather than because they actually care about the monarchy.

When I took the kids to the funfair on Saturday it did occur to me that there might be some impact of all this nonsense.

We walked past a shoe shop and on the electronic screen that usually shows hyperactive teenagers dressed in primary colours wearing SHOES there was a black screen with the message We pay our respects blah blah blah.

We walked past a church with a sign outside saying We are open for you to pay your respects blah blah blah. There was a bored woman sat outside staring at her phone. As we approached she looked at us hopefully, which turned to resignation as we passed by. It obviously wasn't busy.

The funfair was heaving. The park was full of people doing what they do in parks. The shops in the town centre were the usual Saturday afternoon packed. There was no sign of a nation gone wild with mourning.

The idea that England has become unhinged with grief is purely a media creation. I'm sure if you head down to Buckingham Palace it'll be easy to find royalists crying into their thermos flasks; if you look for it on Twitter there'll be all manner of extreme reactions, same as there always is on Twitter about any topic. But at the supermarket, outside the school gates, at work, it's just not something I see having an impact on people. The only glimmer of excitement is the bonus day off work.
The institutional and commercial reaction to it is genuinely a bit unhinged - though I think a lot of that is just people not knowing what they should do cause it's essentially not happened in living memory, and overcompensating massively. I think maybe for many orgs and institutions that cancelled things (Hackney Carnival, the football etc) there's also the disciplining effect of the tabloid newspapers poised ready to screech about any disrespect shown.

The institutional and commercial reaction to it is genuinely a bit unhinged - though I think a lot of that is just people not knowing what they should do cause it's essentially not happened in living memory, and overcompensating massively. I think maybe for many orgs and institutions that cancelled things (Hackney Carnival, the football etc) there's also the disciplining effect of the tabloid newspapers poised ready to screech about any disrespect shown.
The media coverage of it does create an impression of a nation moved to tears, and that can create a feedback loop where people, or more specifically institutions and organisations, feel obliged to play along. But out there in the real world amongst real people I'm not seeing it.

I had a date arranged for the weekend, but it didn't happen after she reacted frostily to me referring to the national mourning as 'this queen shite' :D
It was never meant to be

Brenda popping her clogs was briefly discussed in the weekly standup meeting this morning after a slightly embarrassed manager informed us that the word had come down from on high to see how we were all bearing up even lowly freelance contractor scum like me. The general response is shoulder shrugging no-one is gloating about it but no-one is upset either. An old woman has died it's what they do, if people want to grieve for her fine but why is everyone else being forced to grieve as well.
More people are annoyed the footie is cancelled than upset that Brenda is dead.
But we've got Dead Queens Day on Monday off so there is that though probably everywhere fun will be shut.

Back
Top Bottom