Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How Has The Queen Dying Personally Affected You?

Seriously?
I feel neither but
The train strikes being postponed make a difference to what I’ll be doing over the next couple of weeks. Mostly positive because it’ll make various things possible again, but at this moment the change is slightly stressful.
Realised my view of the train strikes might be ambiguous there. I’m 100% in support of the rail workers who are taking strike action (and postal workers, and barristers..) the rail disruption has a huge impact on my day to day life but basically that just reinforces how important I feel their struggle is.

I understand why they called the planned strikes off, it’s a fucking sad state of affairs, but in the interests of winning their campaign it makes sense to postpone them imo.

I'm trying to get home to Somerset from London, and there are no available advanced tickets on my line. None.

I have never seen a sniff of the concept of a 'sold out' train on my (Waterloo to Yeovil Junction) route, but there are now zero available advanced tickets all week :hmm:

Shirly this is a glitch in the matrix, right, and not the actual outcome of the (return of the) flood of people in London this weekend?

When the strikes were planned they pulled advance tickets, SWR may not have got round to reinstating them yet. Just bunk it and tell the guard you didn’t buy a ticket ‘out of respect for the Queen’.

I’ve just realised that the called off rail strike is the day I’m getting the train up to empty my mums house. I’d booked a week off work and arranged someone to stay and look after the dog, but had omitted to be aware that there was due to be a rail strike on Thursday. So it’s actually affected me rather well. On the other hand the tip run, charity shop collection and exchange contracts in the local office, all planned for 19th, are not looking so promising.

Not sure why but I became quite anxious over whether post boxes would be replaced. Once I'd read in a couple of places that they wouldn't be, I calmed down.

It's particularly odd because I haven't posted anything for many years.
post-box-victoria-vr-ken.jpg

Victorian VR post box, still in use.

The institutional and commercial reaction to it is genuinely a bit unhinged - though I think a lot of that is just people not knowing what they should do cause it's essentially not happened in living memory, and overcompensating massively. I think maybe for many orgs and institutions that cancelled things (Hackney Carnival, the football etc) there's also the disciplining effect of the tabloid newspapers poised ready to screech about any disrespect shown.
Unexpectedly, my local council is going ahead with a large event this weekend - I'll keep an eye on things and see if there's any fallout.

Preston Council said:
Under the current sad circumstances, we have conducted lengthy conversations around what would be fitting in this time of national mourning.

"However, the Lancashire Encounter Festival has been planned for months with a lot of hard work behind the scenes to make the three-day event a worthy attraction for the people of Preston and wider Lancashire.

"The Council also feels that the economic benefit to the businesses in and around the city centre, is very much warranted during the recovery period following the Covid pandemic.

"We have also ensured that we respect the current period of mourning by paying our respects to Her Late Majesty within the Torchlight Procession and within the speeches that will open the event on Friday.

On Saturday 17th September I was due to get the train to London to witness the Chart Music Podcast Live, in Kings Cross.

It was looking like owing to the train strikes I was going to have to give that a miss.

However, Brenda's done me a favour, dying when she did, such that now the strikes have been postponed.

So thanks to her timely death I will get to enjoy the profane joy of the Chart Music Podcast Live.

Plus, a three day weekend.

I think overall I would have to say it has proved to be quite good for a laugh. but obviously I was sad about the football being cancelled.

Walked into an ambush set by the head of my daughter's school today. Award ceremony for kids' achievements over the past year, one of which she was going to be the recipient of. All the usual faffing and flanneling and the the main man took to the stage, the screen flipped to Brenda and he exhorted us to stand for a minute's silence after a fairly standard mini orgy of toadying. Of course, everyone did and, reluctantly, so did I. I felt really. fucking. angry about it. Absolute fucking setup. Wish I'd had the guts to stay seated but for various reasons I'm a coward in those situations so just went with it :mad::(

Walked into an ambush set by the head of my daughter's school today. Award ceremony for kids' achievements over the past year, one of which she was going to be the recipient of. All the usual faffing and flanneling and the the main man took to the stage, the screen flipped to Brenda and he exhorted us to stand for a minute's silence after a fairly standard mini orgy of toadying. Of course, everyone did and, reluctantly, so did I. I felt really. fucking. angry about it. Absolute fucking setup. Wish I'd had the guts to stay seated but for various reasons I'm a coward in those situations so just went with it :mad::(

Liked for understanding that it can be really fucking hard and sometimes impossible to be the only person rocking the boat.

I bet there were others there who felt like you did, but the sense of condemnation would have been too strong.

Don't dwell on it too much.

Liked for understanding that it can be really fucking hard and sometimes impossible to be the only person rocking the boat.

I bet there were others there who felt like you did, but the sense of condemnation would have been too strong.

Don't dwell on it too much.
Agreed. As we all slavishly rose to our feet I found myself wondering how many of us actually gave a fuck. Still, chalk it up as a win for them as all our kids got to see us toeing the line like good obedient citizens. FWIW my daughter, bless her, said she made sure she was the last to her feet and the first back into her chair 🙂

I usually just work bank holidays as normal days, but I'm going to have to do an extra day's work this Thursday now there isn't a rail strike :mad:

Back
Top Bottom