Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where were you when you heard the Queen died?

I was at work when i received a bbc news app alert about lunchtime telling me she was a bit peaky. Of course i instantly went to urban hoping to be first to post it but of course there were already about 20 posts :D

I was at home on pc (viewing urban in a tab amongst other things) about 6.30pm ish and got another beeb alert saying she'd actually snuffed it. Again i was beat to it on urban :D

My mum said that when george the (whatever number it was) died she was at school and a policeman came to the school to tell everyone :D

With phil the greek it was yet another beeb alert but i was in a shop that time.

I view the nazi salute as a child being a child -testing out something she sees.
I never considered the royal family supporting the nazis.

As for the tiger image....she lived a long time.
That is what was acceptable at the time. The world has evolved.
I doubt this was accepted today.

I never understood why you attack her on period photos.
Do you think the child's mother was simply trying out something her b-i-l showed her? At this point her ma was in her 30s and her uncle, who took the shot, heir to the throne.

Kitchen, about to start cooking dinner, listening to the radio, as I often do at that time of day. This is when it was officially announced.

Earlier I had been at the supermarket, and the woman at the till was talking to everyone about the Queen being very ill. When I got out I saw a double rainbow and idly wondered if the Queen had died at that moment. It must have been around 4, 4:15? I still don't know exactly what time she died, but - I mean, that double rainbow was very symbolic! (I live in London, so the double rainbow was in London).

What a magical coincidence, if that was around the time she actually died...

Last edited:
it's cute how all the kids are like 'yess! get it up you!' over this. It gives me a warm glow of hope.
I only have my daughter to go on, but she for sure isn't tugging her forelock over it.
More than anything she is finding the media coverage hilariously overblown. . . . and yeah, she also seemed oddly happy delivering the 'sad' news.
She has been the queen for whole lives of three and a bit generations, with most other members of the royal family (bar diana) remaining largely unpopular. It's going to take a huge media campaign to save them and if other kids are like my daughter then they will be incredibly cynical of the media spin and laugh it off.

I've cringed today. The whole pomp and ceremony for a family of parasites. Long live the fucking king. I'm so embarrassed to be a part of this shitty island.
Yes, such a contrast with those nice chain-smoking cycling Scandinavian Monarchs.

I was cooking tea, following updates on here and the BBC. Saw the news alert come in so switched the telly from "Wall-E" to the news so we could see the announcement for the "where were you when" reminiscences, watched for a couple of minutes then switched "Wall-E" back on!

It had been obvious for some hours that she had died and I was watching the BBC with my mother so we could observe just how close they were getting to saying she was dead without actually being able to officially say that she was dead. Very close indeed, they werent leaving much room for doubt by then and had become increasingly desperate for things to say that fell short of her death. Then I noticed that a flag appeared to be at half mast in their footage, and while discussing this with my mother, within seconds Huw Edwards voice went into maximum mourning mode and the announcement was made.

It had been obvious for some hours that she had died and I was watching the BBC with my mother so we could observe just how close they were getting to saying she was dead without actually being able to officially say that she was dead. Then I noticed that a flag appeared to be at half mast in their footage, and while discussing this with my mother, within seconds Huw Edwards voice went into maximum mourning mode and the announcement was made.
I wasn't watching telly at the time but my mum said same thing about the half mast flag.

I wasn't watching telly at the time but my mum said same thing about the half mast flag.
Apparently some people were instead directing their observational skills at people taking photos in the BBC newsroom as Huw made the announcement:

In a bar on Ferrerias roundabout .Out of respect I immediately canceled my plan to leave there and go home.
Ah, like the time I nipped into a pub for a swift half at lunchtime on 22.11.90, caught the start of the 1 o'clock news - "this resignation will have great repercussions for British politics" - asked the barman who's resigned, thatcher - stop the half, make it a pint and stopped for several more

The telly was on but I was chatting to my grandchildren, about the Queen and how this was historic moment etc. etc (they weren't terribly interested). BBC telly was still refusing to acknowledge that she was dead, but my daughter sent me a text (from the other room) with an announcement from BBC News website that the Queen was dead. A couple of minutes later, a banner announcement came across the telly, which was Huw Edwards being mournful and clearly personally distressed, saying that they were interrupting this programme to bring a newsflash. The newsflash was Huw Edwards being mournful and clearly personally distressed but actually telling us the Queen was dead.

We told the children they would remember this moment. because it is a historic moment. I wonder if they will.

I remember Churchill's state funeral being on telly from when i was about 7. Didn't really know who he was, but I knew it was significant. Not sure if this is similar or not, since there was not the opportunity for the same blanket media coverage back in those days. I reckon the grandkids will remember.

I was, shamefully, sitting on a sofa with a Union Jack print in a pub in Liverpool Street with my boss.

I was a bit nonplussed, as there were young Essex men and women tearing up all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom