Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where were you when you heard the Queen died?

Bingoman

Just seen some clips on YouTube one of a pilot telling passengers the the queen died which got me thinking about where people were when they heard the news?

I was walking my dog its ,only ten minutes and back but when I did come back as I dont take my phone with me as I'm about enter the front door I see my neighbours who are chatting and its then they tell that she has died

Which was bit shock to be told that so as I am getting in the front door it took a few moments to get my head around what they said

I was sat in Honest Burger in Brixton Market listening to the 6 o’clock news on my earplugs. Heard the news just as the waitress brought me my bill so I told her and she said she it made her sad. Then I walked through the market and out to the high street wondering who knew as I passed.

It reminded me of being at Glastonbury when Michael Jackson died. I was wandering about, as you do, and I seemed to be walking at the exact same speed as the news was rippling through the site. Every place I stopped (stalls and tea tents, random groups of people) the news was just landing.

I was at home with my sons. I told my 12 year old and being a nice kid, he said oh no. But I soon put him right by telling him that we don't like the queen and one less royal is always a plus.

Also Sept 8th is my late dad's birthday, so she can't have it.

I was cooking tea round my mum's and she kept waffling on about something for long enough that I had to do more than make vaguely interested noises, so I asked what she was talking about and she was like the queen died the other day wtf how did you not know this?

My phone is semi-broken so I've not been online much 🤷 Other than that one conversation, urban is still the only place I've seen it mentioned despite people here supposedly not caring. Would be nice to have a dead queen subforum to make it easy to stick the whole lot on ignore.

I was at work and got a text from my late dad's only surviving sibling, a man now dying of complications from prostate cancer, who experienced what it was like to be working class and gay in the 1960s and 70s (and have a fucking whale of a time in the face of it.) A lifelong Labour voter who grew up in poverty, but, in the loose sense, a royalist nonetheless, who is genuinely sad about it in a way probably exacerbated by his own impending death. Probably why he felt the need to text people at work in the middle of the afternoon. My reaction was ffs, until I considered his situation.

The TV had been on all afternoon, with reports of her ill health. I was watching out of fascination.
I felt a rumbling in my lower abdomen and knew the signs (which might have been preceded by a rainbow, if I'd had time to look out of the window) that I needed a crap - and a potentially large one at that.
I wasn't in the loo long, but it was a massive relief, I emerged refreshed - only to hear the recap, not the initial announcement, that she had died.

So when it was announced that she died, I was actually curling one out.
Sorry if that is tmi for anyone. I think it is a great "where were you" story for this particular event. I am proud of my bowels for upholding the expected standard of behaviour.

The TV had been on all afternoon, with reports of her ill health. I was watching out of fascination.
I felt a rumbling in my lower abdomen and knew the signs (which might have been preceded by a rainbow, if I'd had time to look out of the window) that I needed a crap - and a potentially large one at that.
I wasn't in the loo long, but it was a massive relief, I emerged refreshed - only to hear the recap, not the initial announcement, that she had died.

So when it was announced that she died, I was actually curling one out.
Sorry if that is tmi for anyone. I think it is a great "where were you" story for this particular event. I am proud of my bowels for upholding the expected standard of behaviour.
Shit happens mate.

I was watching the sky and saw a cloud in the sky. It looked just like a crown... but then it all broke apart. Then I saw a crow in the Morrisons car park, a real portent of something amiss. Then I found a fiver, the queen's face was all crumpled. I saw a single magpie... one for sorrow, then a second one... two for joy.

It was then that I realised our gracious queen had gone to the big palace in the sky.

Honestly can’t remember. I still vividly remember where i was when Thatcher died though (train from Liverpool to London).

Honestly can’t remember. I still vividly remember where i was when Thatcher died though (train from Liverpool to London).

I don't remember much about Thatcher's death.

All I remember is "Ding, dong the witch is dead" theme.

I bet when people read this, they will go all "yeah, good times".

I don't remember much about Thatcher's death.

All I remember is "Ding, dong the witch is dead" theme.

I bet when people read this, they will go all "yeah, good times".
The queen’s death means nothing to me. Pretty much all celebrity deaths don’t (OK Lemmy and Bill Hicks). But Thatcher…(end of thread derail).

The queen’s death means nothing to me. Pretty much all celebrity deaths don’t (OK Lemmy and Bill Hicks). But Thatcher…(end of thread derail).

The only feelings have for her is that she seemed like a nice woman who has lived to see all our technical advancements.
I hope I'm that well when I hit my 90's.

The only feelings have for her is that she seemed like a nice woman who has lived to see all our technical advancements.
I hope I'm that well when I hit my 90's.
I don’t hate her but i didn’t know her. The institution she was the head of and what it represents i do hate though. And all these public displays of grief are really annoying. I’ve removed mention of the situation from any news feeds i read. OK I’m in Canada now but i do hope everyone in the UK gets a day off work and the strikes get back into full swing As soon as possible. And the pubs serve cheap beer for the funeral. Actually now i think about it i might come back for that.

eta: The person who put a head of broccoli in the centre of the floral displays at Buckingham palace is a genius though (like the A.L.F someone put at Bucks when Diana said Goodnight Vienna).

eta: The person who put a head of broccoli in the centre of the floral displays at Buckingham palace is a genius though (like the A.L.F someone put at Bucks when Diana said Goodnight Vienna).

Tbf, broc has gone up loads in the last couple of months, I could have made a meal with that!

(Still funny though)

I was in bed, between sleeps, in the early hours of Friday morning, posting on the Wordle thread. Someone mentioned they'd tried QUEEN as their starting guess, which prompted me to google, as someone at work had used the same starter on Thursday. I'd missed all news of her being ill while at work, and was busy watching zombie apocalypse drama all evening.

Back
Top Bottom