• Opening up for Christmas 2021

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Never

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I've made my masks into a saucy mankini

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, was being lazy, should totally have just Googled that!

If there's any doubt and things are in the balance whether to open or not, then maybe the very least that could happen should be a delay until then, and then any other opening might be slightly offset by schools then being closed for the summer?
I think the government has repeatedly - and inadvisedly - seen schools opening as a hill they want to die on. Hence the late and abrupt U-turn in January.

Sorry, was being lazy, should totally have just Googled that!

If there's any doubt and things are in the balance whether to open or not, then maybe the very least that could happen should be a delay until then, and then any other opening might be slightly offset by schools then being closed for the summer?

You're coming at this like a sensible person. Sensible people are not making these decisions.

I think it will go ahead on 21st June because hubris + capitalism. Then there will be another wave. Then, somehow that Tory shit will be more popular than ever, then eventually something will happen that will mean we go back into lockdown but it will definitely be someone else's fault, and, quick! Look over there! It's a scientist's fault. For some reason.

It's on a knife edge IMO, the data over the last week isn't good, but it could level off over this & next week, although I don't expect that to happen, in which case the argument for delaying the June unlocking becomes so much clearer.

It does seem like pressure is growing to delay, with several experts, some of which are government advisers, suggesting or pushing for a delay, which will make it difficult for the government to say they are following the science, if the data goes the way I expect. The media attention to these calls does give the impression that we are being made ready to expect there's likely to be a delay too.

As they have always said they want each stage of unlocking to be irreversible, and depending on the data getting worst, it would be totally logical to delay until at least the schools break-up for summer, in the hope of avoiding having to reverse it, or even having to reverse on the May unlocking. By that time all adults wanting a jab would have their first jab, and somewhere around 75% would probably have had their second one.

Plus they have an excuse/cover for a delay, in the form of the Indian variant, which wasn't around when the roadmap was published, and therefore isn't reflected in the plan.

Finally, the NHS is already under extreme pressure, as they start to tackle the backlog of non-covid cases, so even a fairly small increase in covid cases will cause major problems, something they will want to avoid.

I think this week will see the chances of a delay tipping over the 50% mark, my gut feeling is they will delay for those few weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised it they don't.

The bigger question is, would a delay be enough, or could we face going back to the stage before the May unlocking.

Things are a bit shitty but nothing like the second wave.

Issue is that removing restrictions on 21/06 then having to reimpose them will go down worse than extending them. Businesses and people have had to change their set up around this shit, if things are shuffled about again there will be grief and cost.

And the economic costs will be greater the longer they delay any changes.

I've only just checked the covid news for today, and as per my post above, you can see the pressure growing even more...

The UK remains vulnerable despite the success of its vaccination programme, a leading scientist says, as he warns that easing all curbs on 21 June, as planned in England, could lead to a U-turn.

Prof Adam Finn, who sits on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation
, tells BBC Radio 4’s Today programme that “the idea the job is done is wrong” with large numbers still unvaccinated.

"There's vulnerability across the country. The idea that somehow the job is done, is wrong," he says.

"We've still got a lot of people out there who've neither had this virus... nor yet been immunized, and that's why we're in a vulnerable position right now.”

BBC live coverage at 8:30.
The UK’s freedom day must be delayed by ‘a few weeks’ to avoid an even faster spreading mutant virus emerging, a leading Government scientific adviser has warned.

Professor Ravi Gupta, a member of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag), has become the latest in a growing line of experts to strongly advise against the lifting of all restrictions on June 21.

While the nation’s vaccination programme has performed ‘amazingly well’, it is still too early ‘to put the vaccine straight up against the virus’, he cautioned today.

The easing on May 17 could already lead to ‘quite a lot’ of hospital admissions and a month delay could have a significant impact on the country’s battle against Covid, he added.

Metro

The scientists, particularly whose involved in advising the government, do seem to have decided they are going to speak out more, and pile on the pressure, than I remember them doing before.

End of June or early July, the people have had enough of it so the Govt (which wants restrictions to end) is not going to extend restrictions one second longer than it has to and certainly isn't going to want to impose new ones.

I've only just checked the covid news for today, and as per my post above, you can see the pressure growing even more...

BBC live coverage at 8:30.

Metro

The scientists, particularly whose involved in advising the government, do seem to have decided they are going to speak out more, and pile on the pressure, than I remember them doing before.
They remember what happened last time they got ignored...

Exactly.

You had to be following it very closely to know they ignored SAGE advice back in September, the last few days there seems to have been endless reports of an ever increasing number of experts speaking out, that makes it very difficult for the government.
yet they will overcome this hurdle :thumbs:

Very small sample of two, but my parents are now about 6 weeks past their second jab, and still very reticent to go anywhere, see my kids properly (i.e. still masked up at their window). I wonder if fear may hold down infections in the elderly, even once things open up?

Very small sample of two, but my parents are now about 6 weeks past their second jab, and still very reticent to go anywhere, see my kids properly (i.e. still masked up at their window). I wonder if fear may hold down infections in the elderly, even once things open up?

Hmm I don't know, my equivalent sample of two are very much not reticent. I think you'll see different attitudes across all age groups not a young/old divide.

Which is probably a drop in an already full ocean.

People dying or economy...
Without wishing to appear cynical, for most people an acceptable death rate is one at which they or their loved ones are at miminal risk of becoming a statistic. We're now down to a death rate of single figures per day and I think most people are probably going to be willing to accept that.
People die all the time and its going to get ever harder to convince millions of people that they should accept an ever greater risk of losing jobs, businesses, homes, educations, relationships etc in order to try and save ten strangers a day.

Without wishing to appear cynical, for most people an acceptable death rate is one at which they or their loved ones are at miminal risk of becoming a statistic. We're now down to a death rate of single figures per day and I think most people are probably going to be willing to accept that.
People die all the time and its going to get ever harder to convince millions of people that they should accept an ever greater risk of losing jobs, businesses, homes, educations, relationships etc in order to try and save ten strangers a day.
Like we did in December/January?

I don't think that is cynical, so much as realistic.

Minds don't do risk or probability well at the best of times, but factor in things like death, and the whole thing goes all runny. That's why clear and consistent messaging is so important, and one of the major reasons why so many countries have completely botched their responses, while others have managed rather better.

It seems self-evident to me that the worse outcome for everyone would be to go ahead with the June magic day of freedom and then have to reimpose rules later, maybe even stricter rules than we have now. As such I am fairly confident this will be what the government will do.

Even if they postpone 21/6, we'll still, presumably, remain at the current level of restrictions. So, assuming a third wave is actually happening, it's going to continue unless they roll back or even lockdown anew.

Of course all this is 'if' and 'maybe', but it's clear, IMO, we've opened too much too quickly. Again.

I guess that MickiQ has not lost anyone or any work. Stats...
Yes you're right I have worked through out and everyone I care about has made it through the pandemic alive, I realise I have been very fortunate in that regard. Indeed I personally would be quite willing to carry on like this for a while yet.
However lots of people will have lost their jobs, endured broken relationships, lost contact with their families and starting today will start to lose their homes. There are people who have spent years building businesses that they are probably not going to be able to rebuild. They are the people who will want things back to 'normal' as soon as possible and I can't say I blame them.

Back
Top Bottom