Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

We all get these things wrong from time to time: thankfully there are no penalties for being wrong on urban.
True!
In fact, Biden is almost certain to win, simply because if he wins CO, MI, PA and WI - he's there. 272. And that's even if he loses in NC, FL, AZ and GA (he's ahead in all of those, and the sheer fury felt by most Arizonans over the insults Trump flung at John McCain has to be heard to be believed. Word reaches me that McSally is now reduced to throwing things at the TV and whimpering pitifully, every time trump opens his gob:D)

“This is a warning to anyone reading this letter if you are a Biden/Harris supporter you will be targeted.

We have a list of homes and addresses by your election signs.

We are the ones with those scary guns, We are the ones your children have nightmares about…

When We capture Grandpa Biden We will all severely beat him to the point of death as for Mrs. Harris she will be bent over and Anally raped by my rifle barrel.

Then for the Grand end the [sic] both will be executed on National Television.”

True!
In fact, Biden is almost certain to win, simply because if he wins CO, MI, PA and WI - he's there. 272. And that's even if he loses in NC, FL, AZ and GA (he's ahead in all of those, and the sheer fury felt by most Arizonans over the insults Trump flung at John McCain has to be heard to be believed. Word reaches me that McSally is now reduced to throwing things at the TV and whimpering pitifully, every time trump opens his gob:D)
Colorado is safe for him. Only doubts are over PA imo where the Trump campaign is focusing particularly heavily on trying to turn out even more white working class voters in the west of the state than last time to try and shore up his tiny margins there. PA also vulnerable to shenanigans as it has a GOP House and will likely be counting early votes for days after the election as they don't do early counting. All the data says Biden's leading there however.

True!

You and JTG are clearly following this a lot more attentively than me.
Any thoughts on Trump's gambit once the figures come out?

How 2020 has been is one of the reasons I reckon it's in the bag for Biden tbh. The pandemic has been a disaster for the populist right, and I'm fairly confident the result is going to be a global swing away from them, at least in the short term.
Go on. where else are you seeing this, the signs that the pandemic has made right wing populism less attractive more broadly ? Really want that to be true, and think it makes sense logically, just wonder where are you seeing it. India for instance far as I know the Foreign Virus is still being pressed into service to shore up the current pm’s hindu nationalist appeal.

Last edited:
You and JTG are clearly following this a lot more attentively than me.
Any thoughts on Trump's gambit once the figures come out?
By 'figures', do you mean, 'as the votes are tallied up in each state'? JTG probably knows more about the processes governing that in each state, but my guess is that Trump and his people will query and question them in each state, and throw as much mud as they can at the mail-in ballots amongst them, in particular.

Go on. where else are you seeing this, the signs that the pandemic has made right wing populism less attractive more broadly ? Really want that to be true, and think it makes sense logically, just wonder where are you seeing it. India for instance far as I know the Foreign Virus is still being pressed into service to shore up the current pm’s hindu nationalist appeal.
Well, the polls here are dreadful for Johnson, it's been a skip fire for Bolsonaro. There's been two general elections in the last week which have both shown a decisive leftward shift. It's mostly just a hunch though tbf.

By 'figures', do you mean, 'as the votes are tallied up in each state'? JTG probably knows more about the processes governing that in each state, but my guess is that Trump and his people will query and question them in each state, and throw as much mud as they can at the mail-in ballots amongst them, in particular.
My guess is they'll suck it up and go quietly.
Bit of both tbh. If it looks close then they'll argue the toss over everything and the local legislatures (the GOP have the state House in both NC & PA for eg) but if FL or NC get called earlyish for Biden then they'll go quietly

My guess is they'll suck it up and go quietly.
depends on how big Biden's win is in the swing states (and in the once-safe-GOP-now-very-much-swingy places like NC, GA. TX, AZ).
If it's huge, even a man with no embarrassment threshold like Trump should see there's no point in throwing his toys around

Have we had this beeb piece on voter suppression, yet ?

it makes difficult reading in some ways.
Sure, but It's old hat. We've all known about this for a long time. More relevantly, so have all the dem activists, civil liberties activists and voter registration activists. They've had time to prepare, and implement, counter-strategies.
FWIW, my money is on a significant increase in turnout from 2016, and also from 2018.

As I say, FL should be able to declare on the night (it starts counting early votes early so no backlog). If Biden wins it, it's over whatever happens in PA

Sure, but It's old hat. We've all known about this for a long time. More relevantly, so have all the dem activists, civil liberties activists and voter registration activists. They've had time to prepare, and implement, counter-strategies.
FWIW, my money is on a significant increase in turnout from 2016, and also from 2018.
Black churches all over the US will have buses outside ready to head to the polls this weekend

So, Giuliani has just issued a denial of this story about him laying down on a hotel bed with his hands down his pants in front of a girl he's been told is fifteen. Says he was 'tucking his shirt in', Sacha Baron Cohen is a liar and that they are going to release more Biden dirt.

I did not have this development on my radar tbh

Anyway, Harris County has today surpassed the 2018 midterms early vote turnout and heading towards the 2016 total of just over 900,000

Back
Top Bottom