Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

it keeps coming

"Eduard Florea, 40, was arrested at his home in Queens, New York, by the FBI on Tuesday night. There, authorities said they found more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition despite Florea previously having been convicted in 2013 of a firearms-related felony.

"Here in New York we are target rich ... Dead men can't pass shit laws ... I will fight so help me god." "

Can't see embedded tweets so sorry if we've had this but :D
1KNZ0

This is concerning and needs some further investigation:

Rep. Ayanna Pressley's (D-Mass.) chief of staff, Sarah Groh, said in a recent interview that panic buttons she had previously used in the congresswoman's office had been taken out before the violent riot at the U.S. Capitol last week.

Groh revealed the information in a new interview with The Boston Globe published Wednesday, in which she recounted her experience the day of the riot.

Groh said that she, Pressley and her husband, Conan Harris, had arrived at Capitol Hill early that day after the House sergeant-at-arms urged lawmakers to do so to avoid large crowds as hundreds of the president's supporters had flocked to D.C. to oppose the November election results.

"I was deeply concerned. It felt like the heat was being turned up in terms of the rhetoric and Trump's aims to incite violence," she told the Globe.

It wasn't long after, however, that a pro-Trump mob overtook the U.S. Capitol as Congress was gearing up to certify votes by the Electoral College that affirmed his defeat in the presidential race.

Around that time, Groh said, she discovered the office's panic buttons had been removed while she and the other staffers were working to secure the office's entrance using available furniture and water jugs.

"Every panic button in my office had been torn out - the whole unit," Groh said, despite noting she had previously used the buttons in that same office. Groh said in the interview that she did not know why the buttons had been removed.

In a statement to The Hill later on Wednesday, a spokesperson for Pressley said "the matter has been raised with the relevant agencies and is currently under investigation." The representative said the "duress buttons" had previously been "installed throughout the Congresswoman's office suite."

Pressley's chief of staff said her office's panic buttons 'had been torn out' before Capitol riot (msn.com)

That would imply that there's a larger conspiracy and people with access to the offices removed the panic buttons sometime before the riot.

...I think after today my money is on the Senate voting to convict. I heard just one person today actually defend Trump and what he said. The rest who say they are worried about division, more violence, etc, aren't making arguments that would be relevant in the 'trial'. The senators who vote against conviction will need to come up with better arguments than that.
The senators don't need to come up with any arguments at all, they can (and many of them will) simply vote for or against conviction based on crude political calculation.

For all the understandable glee with which many are anticipating the ignominious end of Trump, let's not make the mistake of thinking that this is all some sort of objective legal process which will be decided simply by facts and legal arguments.

Whether or not Trump is convicted will depend, ultimately, on whether a sufficient number of senators decide it's in their political interests for him to be convicted, nothing more than that.

I've been too busy with personal stuff and work to really keep up, so can someone give me some solid reasons as to why the impeachment process was even bothered with if the following are (still) true (a) he won't be removed before his term is up and (b) it doesn't prevent him running again

Sure, principles* etc, but it doesn't seem like it's actually going to achieve anything even if he is found guilty

*LOL

This is concerning and needs some further investigation:

Around that time, Groh said, she discovered the office's panic buttons had been removed while she and the other staffers were working to secure the office's entrance using available furniture and water jugs.

Pressley's chief of staff said her office's panic buttons 'had been torn out' before Capitol riot (msn.com)

That would imply that there's a larger conspiracy and people with access to the offices removed the panic buttons sometime before the riot.

What's even more alarming is that they were trying to secure the entrance using, er... water jugs.

1610609666528.png

:eek:

I've been too busy with personal stuff and work to really keep up, so can someone give me some solid reasons as to why the impeachment process was even bothered with if the following are (still) true (a) he won't be removed before his term is up and (b) it doesn't prevent him running again

Sure, principles* etc, but it doesn't seem like it's actually going to achieve anything even if he is found guilty

*LOL
They can hold an additional vote after conviction which bars him from holding office again. That only needs a simple majority to pass.

*LOL
It won't remove him before his term ends but it would prevent him running again in 2024 as once he is convicted they can then vote on barring him.

If they fail to do it and he runs in 2024 and is elected he could only do 1 more 4 year term though as 2 terms is the max allowed.

Back
Top Bottom