Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

He’ll use this Paris head-chopping in a crass and clumsy attempt to get support from more racists, won’t he?

um ... this is ... good ...

It's good that Trump supporters aren't allowed to actually bring their assault rifles along on election day in at least one of 50 states - in most countries where armed supporters of the ruling party are expected to intimidate voters at polling places, there'd be a good case for calling in United Nations observers, but it seems like this might be counterproductive in the US.

the republicans may have unwittingly done democracy a favour by their blatant attempts at voter suppression - its highlighted the issue and seemingly caused a huge rise in early voting.
Yeah, many factors for the perfect storm I guess. Obvs the pandemic has encouraged a lot of people to vote remotely and there's been a slow rise in all-mail ballots - either entirely remotely or at least everyone being posted a ballot and then given different options to return it. It's widely seen as the most important election in US history as well.

Anyway, at least 24.3m votes have been cast now - 17.5% of the 2016 total - meaning around 6m voted yesterday. Not all states have started reporting, notably NY which will bump the total up considerably when it starts reporting. WA, OR & HI not reporting yet either and they're all entirely mail-in so should have high turn out

Dem internal poll has Doug Jones 1 point up in the defence of his Alabama Senate seat; LeanTossUp here pointing out that while he's probably still losing - he's a Dem in Alabama who only squeaked home previously because he was running against an actual paedophile - the fact that this poll even exists illustrates how badly the GOP are struggling

Dem internal poll has Doug Jones 1 point up in the defence of his Alabama Senate seat; LeanTossUp here pointing out that while he's probably still losing - he's a Dem in Alabama who only squeaked home previously because he was running against an actual paedophile - the fact that this poll even exists illustrates how badly the GOP are struggling
If Jones somehow hangs on that will be a stunning result, irrespective of what happens elsewhere

If Jones somehow hangs on that will be a stunning result, irrespective of what happens elsewhere
Yeah, the article sets out how it's POSSIBLE - maximise turnout in the heavily black 7th district, do well in the Birmingham & Montgomery suburbs and don't get completely obliterated in rural districts - but it's a lot of ducks to get in a row

Yeah, the article sets out how it's POSSIBLE - maximise turnout in the heavily black 7th district, do well in the Birmingham & Montgomery suburbs and don't get completely obliterated in rural districts - but it's a lot of ducks to get in a row
True, and I really wouldn't rate his chances. Still...

Still, expect them to be queuing round the block and settling in for the long haul in Selma on the day
If that happens (and yes, I agreee it probably will), that will be a quite amazing image.
It seems to me all this voter suppression, USPS shenanigans, Trump's endless twitter campaign against mail-in ballots and generally undermining the whoole process has been massively counter-productive. All across the country, people seem fired up to vote, totally different to 2016.

I looked at NC's figures (every state reports differently so not always possible to compare them all) and 18% of their vote so far has come from people who didn't vote in 2016. Now obvs that's going to include young people etc who couldn't vote four years ago but it still seems high? idk, someone tell me I'm wrong

I looked at NC's figures (every state reports differently so not always possible to compare them all) and 18% of their vote so far has come from people who didn't vote in 2016. Now obvs that's going to include young people etc who couldn't vote four years ago but it still seems high? idk, someone tell me I'm wrong
No, uou're right, especially since the GOP in NC are very prone to voter suppression, and have form for practically every trick in the book.

Last edited:
I've seen comments about the mail in return rate being comparatively low in heavily black counties in NC - and a possible explanation being that they were waiting for early voting to open so they could drop off in person to be sure. The system is not trusted there

increasingly confident that trump is going to get flattened.
Last time, his base, significant lack of enthusiasm for hillary clinton and a wish to disrupt the status quo for won it for him.
This time there seems to be big motivation to kick him out, a corresponding lack of enthusiasm from "soft" republican voters who may stay home and - I would guess - a wider wish for someone less demented cos of fears around the economy and covid.
That only leaves him his base and those who vote republican come what may - so 45% vs 55% sounds about right. Hopefully it will be a big enough result to stymie any plans he has of trying to dispute the result (although he will try that no matter what - and then we might actually see the republican party push him out before inauguration).

increasingly confident that trump is going to get flattened.
Last time, his base, significant lack of enthusiasm for hillary clinton and a wish to disrupt the status quo for won it for him.
This time there seems to be big motivation to kick him out, a corresponding lack of enthusiasm from "soft" republican voters who may stay home and - I would guess - a wider wish for someone less demented cos of fears around the economy and covid.
That only leaves him his base and those who vote republican come what may - so 45% vs 55% sounds about right. Hopefully it will be a big enough result to stymie any plans he has of trying to dispute the result (although he will try that no matter what - and then we might actually see the republican party push him out before inauguration).
It also leaves the hardcore racists still on his side - but even so, that's still not enough to get him over the line. I just hope the result is emphatic enough to preclude any chance of he and his nutjob ultra supporterstaking to the streets. if they do, things could turn very nasty indeed.

Last edited:
Reporting slows down over the weekend but 3.4m Texans have now cast their votes, taking the state to nearly 38% of its total 2016 turn out with two weeks of early voting left

There’s got to be an element of just exhaustion this time as well, after four years of this loon at the wheel I think a lot of people who maybe wanted the entertainment and disruption last time might find the idea of a normal boring president who doesn’t create crazy news every day quite appealing.
I think that's quite a lot of the appeal. People have had enough of all the crazy, scary shit. Suddenly, bland and boring becomes attractive.

Reporting slows down over the weekend but 3.4m Texans have now cast their votes, taking the state to nearly 38% of its total 2016 turn out with two weeks of early voting left
I believe just under 17m Texans are registered to vote, up from 15m in 2016

Back
Top Bottom