Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Mathew Goodwin now putting Trump in the fascist rather than US populist category . The contrarians seem to be split amongst those thinking Twitter banning Trumps account as the real attack on democracy to those equating the attempts to thwart Brexit as the same as yesterday’s scenes and others blaming liberals for Trump . Bad times at El Royal .

As much as I can see parallels, I'm glad the remainers never eroded faith in the actual ballot process.

Loads of talk about it but I’m not clear on what the point would be, what could he do really in the 13 days that are left.
Woman on radio 4 early morning news saying he might start a war with Iran just to fuck things for Biden. Apart from that haven’t heard anything concrete as to what they are imagining they’d prevent by 25thing him now.
He's working hard on his grand finale /scorched earth project.

I have been following all this and looked at the litigation filed in Georgia by Powell. I have also been reading some of the more balanced/thoughtful commentary on it, both from Republicans and Democrats. In the interests of full disclosure/transparency, I am British, but of the two presidential candidates, I would personally lean more towards Trump - if I had to vote for one or the other.

I don't agree with the apparent general view here that the Trump claims are entirely a 'joke'. If the Powell filings are taken at face value, there is evidence to back up some of the more moderate claims being made by the Trump camp and also emanating independently from Powell, however it looks like they don't - so far - have before the court any evidence of actual specific acts of fraud. Rather, the allegations concern electoral irregularities and procedural lapses, and these seem to be an exceptional trend on a county-to-county basis in Georgia and not found across-the-board.

In Pennsylvania, the Republican-controlled state legislature (both House and Senate) has put a spanner in the works, but it appears the federal judiciary has knocked Trump back. The crucial issue there is whether state certification is solely for the state executive (under Democratic control) or for the legislature to override if the elections are 'contested elections', having issued Section 13, Article VII resolutions (as required under the Pennsylvania state constitution). One would need to look at Pennsylvania statutes and maybe common law on the question, as the constitution is silent on this specific point.

So far (my view may change with further developments), it does seem, at least to me, rather unlikely that Trump can upturn the whole election, due to the lack of specific evidence of fraud; but, one point that bears repeating is that Trump does not technically have to upturn the popular ballot. All he needs to do is cast doubt on the result in maybe two or three states that have sufficient Electoral College votes to drag Biden below the 270 threshold, as this would then (probably) force a contingent election in Congress.

Probably this rather extreme eventuality will not happen, but I am not dismissing the possibility altogether. It could happen. In any event, I think the whole thing will culminate in a showdown in the Supreme Court over the electoral methodologies of a handful of critical states, and that judgment will in effect decide whether the United States has to resort to contingent ballots in the legislature.

Guess who's back, yes he's back...

The Dark Knight!

mist descends

unmasked twerps + cctv & social media + some serious detective work* = id'ing the vandals and seditionists

* that should keep the FBI busy for a while !
and maybe, just maybe make things look a bit better from the outside of the usa ...

e2a - and maybe a good few of them will need treatment for covid.

Joe Scarborough is not happy. He has a point.
Not this Joe Scarborough I presume

5944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom