Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

What does it mean that this poll reckons 45% of Republican voters ‘approve of’ the storming of the capitol building yesterday? I mean how do you interpret that.
Small poll numbers caveat etc.
I'd say that's you hard floor of diehard trumpists. they're the dominant current in the party now.

If the 25th was successful, wouldn't that prevent him from running in 2024? Even with such a short time left of his term, I would have thought it would be politically advantageous for this to happen.
Nope, it’s just about being incapacitated right now, not anything else. I really don’t think he’ll run for president again.

Hmmnnn. Couldn't access second link as it says I am in Europe. Thought that ended on 31st December

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation.

In the video by Republican Del. Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach in after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

“We’re in! Keep it moving, baby!” he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic’s founding, and yelled “no vandalizing.”

Lawmakers from other states also traveled to the nation’s capital to protest the results of the Electoral College on Wednesday. It’s unclear if any other elected official forced their way into the U.S. Capitol. Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano helped organize a bus ride to protest in Washington, D.C., and said he left the Capitol area after the eruption of violence, which he called “unacceptable.” A Democratic colleague called for his resignation nonetheless.

Republican Alaska state Rep. David Eastman said he went to Washington, D.C., to see Trump speak but told the Anchorage Daily News that the storming of the building was “pretty terrible.”

Tennessee state Rep. Terri Lynn Weaver on Wednesday night said it had been an “epic and historic day.” She told The Tennessean that she was “in the thick of it” but hadn't seen any violence.

Hundreds of people gathered in state capitals nationwide to oppose Biden’s win in mostly peaceful gatherings. But New Mexico police evacuated the statehouse building as a precaution and scuffles broke out in Ohio and California. Some demonstrators carried guns in a handful of states.
In West Virginia, Democratic party leaders said Evans should resign and “be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.” About 10,000 people have signed an online petition calling for him to be removed from office, a month after being sworn into a first term.
The speaker of the state House of Delegates, Roger Hanshaw, said Evans will need to “answer to his constituents and colleagues regarding his involvement in what has occurred today.”

EWzDNmu.jpg

We may not agree with him, but at least he took a stand.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation.

In the video by Republican Del. Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach in after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

“We’re in! Keep it moving, baby!” he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic’s founding, and yelled “no vandalizing.”

Lawmakers from other states also traveled to the nation’s capital to protest the results of the Electoral College on Wednesday. It’s unclear if any other elected official forced their way into the U.S. Capitol. Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano helped organize a bus ride to protest in Washington, D.C., and said he left the Capitol area after the eruption of violence, which he called “unacceptable.” A Democratic colleague called for his resignation nonetheless.

Republican Alaska state Rep. David Eastman said he went to Washington, D.C., to see Trump speak but told the Anchorage Daily News that the storming of the building was “pretty terrible.”

Tennessee state Rep. Terri Lynn Weaver on Wednesday night said it had been an “epic and historic day.” She told The Tennessean that she was “in the thick of it” but hadn't seen any violence.

Hundreds of people gathered in state capitals nationwide to oppose Biden’s win in mostly peaceful gatherings. But New Mexico police evacuated the statehouse building as a precaution and scuffles broke out in Ohio and California. Some demonstrators carried guns in a handful of states.
In West Virginia, Democratic party leaders said Evans should resign and “be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.” About 10,000 people have signed an online petition calling for him to be removed from office, a month after being sworn into a first term.
The speaker of the state House of Delegates, Roger Hanshaw, said Evans will need to “answer to his constituents and colleagues regarding his involvement in what has occurred today.”
Well that sounds like a monumental foot shooting.

He might be dead. He might be in jail. He might be in exile. He might be hosting some loon talk show from Alaska. Who knows? But he won't be the Republican nominee for president. He wouldn't have been anyway - why pick a loser, a has-been, a liability? But after yesterday, he really won't be.
He's more popular now than when he got the nomination in 2016. What makes you think he can't get the nomination in 2024?

He's more popular now than when he got the nomination in 2016. What makes you think he can't get the nomination in 2024?
The party machinery would stop him. Like the Dems did with Sanders.

I don't agree that he's more popular now than in 2016. He just lost an election by 4.5 percentage points. In 2016, he lost by 2.1 percentage points, and that without the advantage that normally comes from being the incumbent.

Haven't totally read all the updates since this kicked off again #mybad . I've seen plenty of tweets claiming it was antifa who stormed the Capitol ,thT they were masquerading as Trump supporters :D :D :D :D .

Antifa just have to take a seat & relax tbf, and wait 2 weeks to see his arse being hauled out of the White House.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump run as an Independent in 2024, splitting the Republican vote , he might even win some Electoral votes , depends who the Republicans run against him, but it would ensure another Democratic presidential term .

I’d like to think that most Republicans wouldn’t touch another Trump candidate bid with a barge pole . However how much of the Republican Party machine and membership has Trump changed with expulsions , appointments and trying to change the voter base of the party? Whose the the opposition / alternative in the GOP, Romney ?

I’d like to think that most Republicans wouldn’t touch another Trump candidate bid with a barge pole . However how much of the Republican Party machine and membership has Trump changed with expulsions , appointments and trying to change the voter base of the party? Whose the the opposition / alternative in the GOP, Romney ?

Tom Cotton, Mike Pence, and a few others who got off the Trump train at the last minute might fancy their chances now - if there's enough of them competing for the nomination, Trump probably wouldn't have much trouble winning the Republican primaries again.

I don't think Trump will run in 2024, but I don't think the republican machine could realistically stop him if he wanted to - they tried last time and were walked all over, and he's more popular with the base now than he was the first time round. What mechanism could they use to exclude him?

Mathew Goodwin now putting Trump in the fascist rather than US populist category . The contrarians seem to be split amongst those thinking Twitter banning Trumps account as the real attack on democracy to those equating the attempts to thwart Brexit as the same as yesterday’s scenes and others blaming liberals for Trump . Bad times at El Royal .

Back
Top Bottom