Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

It's an alternative way of framing the question. To focus on the 70 million and ask how you win them over is a strange way of framing it to me. The answer to the question is that you can't win most of those 70 million over. The more important question for Democrats is how do you keep the 80 million you have.
A position that neither I, nor Smokeandsteam, ever proposed.

Your "question" is an acceptance of the liberal anti-populist politics that are the other side of the coin of the populist radical right. I don't care (outside an academic interest) about the question for the Democratic Party, I'm interested in the working class.

I must admit, I'm still staggered by the events of yesterday/very early today. I never thought I would see scenes like that in the Captiol. The US, and specifically the US right has gone full-on batshit mental.
This is why i'm increasingly convinced its a good thing that this happened, the it could never happen here its all just a joke or a few loons on the internet in their underpants lot are quiet now.

Your "question" is an acceptance of the liberal anti-populist politics that are the other side of the coin of the populist radical right. I don't care (outside an academic interest) about the question for the Democratic Party, I'm interested in the working class.
LBJ affects to be some sort of radical but he's as closely wedded to the status quo with some minor presentational tweaks as his recent posts suggest

Smokeandsteam specifically referenced the 70 million who voted for Trump and the Republicans.

So fine, you're answering a different question, but if you don't want to reference the electoral system in the US, it's probably better not to reference the numbers voting for each party.

this isn't true really is it - did you miss the summer of riots against the status quo or something?

Seriously? That’s your strategy to peel 70 million people away?

I’ll just say this, in the absence of positive utopias people will continue to retreat into reactionary ones especially in a period where there are successive capitalist crises and elite liberals offer no alternative.

Most of those hand wringing now about "fascism" have spent the last decade undermining any moderately left-wing alternative and striving to restore the status quo - providing fertile ground for the Trump and others of a similar ilk.

Only a forceful, pro working class politics directly counter posed to Trumpism and Biden provide an alternative, without it yesterday may well be opening salvo of a very dark decade to come.

But you carry on...

If you accept that 70 million can't be won over then the next reasonable course of action is civil war of some kind. Or rather an escalation of the current slow civil war.

Seriously? That’s your strategy to peel 70 million people away?

I’ll just say this, in the absence of positive utopias people will continue to retreat into reactionary ones especially in a period where there are successive capitalist crises and elite liberals offer no alternative.

Most of those hand wringing now about "fascism" have spent the last decade undermining any moderately left-wing alternative and striving to restore the status quo - providing fertile ground for the Trump and others of a similar ilk.

Only a forceful, pro working class politics directly counter posed to Trumpism and Biden provide an alternative, without it yesterday may well be opening salvo of a very dark decade to come.

But you carry on...
Er there is another less palatable alternative

If you accept that 70 million can't be won over then the next reasonable course of action is civil war of some kind. Or rather an escalation of the current slow civil war.
The only question is, do you side with the personification of military propaganda or the weapons-dealing billionaire?

(Surprisingly to me, I ended up siding with the walking, talking American flag)

Well that’s a profoundly pessimistic take. Do you think the same is true in the UK?
I think it's generally true, yes. If you want to change things meaningfully, you'll always be up against a chunk of the population that likes things as they are. Can you think of a place where this isn't true?

What's most concerning, to me at least, about the events of last night is the complete absence of any serious intervention by the Left.
I wonder this too. How come the red hats seemed from footage to go totally unopposed and have full control of the area.

The lesson a lot of Americans will be drawing from the last 24 hours is that if you are sick to death of the status quo - and want to fight it - that there is only one side fighting. That has to change.
The BLM riots earlier this year definitely show there is not only one side fighting against the status quo, and they were all over the news so every american will have been aware of them whether they were for or against them.

Back
Top Bottom