Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

It is disturbing to see the voting queues - I know we obviously have them in the UK, but our constituencies are much smaller. At most I've waited about 20 minutes to vote.
I have never seen a queue even slightly like that in the UK.
And we have none of this hi-tech, levers-and-electronics voting apparatus.
Pen-paper-box-volunteer supervisors, and some annoying little kid asking when the library will be open again. :cool:

I have never seen a queue even slightly like that in the UK.
And we have none of this hi-tech, levers-and-electronics voting apparatus.
Pen-paper-box-volunteer supervisors, and some annoying little kid asking when the library will be open again. :cool:

We use pencils so the mark is still there if it gets wet.
Sometimes the ballot boxes fall in the river......

But, rest is similar.

Most I've ever waited was a matter of minutes - one dude ahead of me, but that is rare.

But you have to remember that they vote on more positions that we do.
For us, it is pick the name of the person you want to represent you. That is it, unless there is a referendum.

It is disturbing to see the voting queues - I know we obviously have them in the UK, but our constituencies are much smaller. At most I've waited about 20 minutes to vote.

If it was Election Day, it would definitely be disturbing, but the big line-ups today were apparently largely because there was an unprecedently massive turnout on the first day of early in-person voting, with people lining up from before dawn, there's another 18 days of early voting in Georgia to go. I just hope most of those people were there because they wanted to vote out Trump at the earliest possible opportunity...

Sas, I'm pretty sure he won't win, but still you never know, not these days.

I do think he will try to make a show of not handing over the keys to Biden, in order to up his chances of extracting a pardon (for him, not for any accomplices) once he does leave office.

I'm guessing Biden will have a several million advantage nationally, which might have been double that apart from long terms voter suppression. He'll also win by a clear majority of the swing states he needs. But there's nothing in the history of trump that suggests he won't mount the most obstinate, insane and longlasting challenge to the result, including playing to racists and conspiracists in the country. Bound to get messy, but ultimately the Republicans will cut their losses and abandon him in his umpteenth petition to the supreme court.

I'm guessing Biden will have a several million advantage nationally, which might have been double that apart from long terms voter suppression. He'll also win by a clear majority of the swing states he needs. But there's nothing in the history of trump that suggests he won't mount the most obstinate, insane and longlasting challenge to the result, including playing to racists and conspiracists in the country. Bound to get messy, but ultimately the Republicans will cut their losses and abandon him in his umpteenth petition to the supreme court.

Trump was losing in the polls last time.

Then Clinton's email scandal was announced. The voters had had enough scandals from her, and voted Trump.

I think Trump is hoping for something similar this time. He is really pushing Barr to find dirt on Biden.

f759bb4486e639b4fcabea27662d1c0491e7e0cc.jpg

I was speaking to an otherwise sensible friend last night, he is convinced that Trump will win. :facepalm:
Sas, I'm pretty sure he won't win, but still you never know, not these days.

I do think he will try to make a show of not handing over the keys to Biden, in order to up his chances of extracting a pardon (for him, not for any accomplices) once he does leave office.
I'm not ruling anything out until that tangerine twatwaffle is doing his perp walk to Marine One...

I know that I am looking forward to my news feeds on the 4th of November.

I want it to be a surprise, so no peaking until the morning.

We use pencils so the mark is still there if it gets wet.
Sometimes the ballot boxes fall in the river......
There is usually a daft debate at election time here about whether you can use a pen instead of a pencil as some people are paranoid that secretive electoral officials rub out the pencil mark and change your vote. You can if you want apparently. I've not heard of ballot boxes falling into rivers here, although I suppose it is possible in remote areas.

Back
Top Bottom