Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Saw this on my facebook page

On the video, Nancy P. says the following

"I AM HERE TODAY TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. On the off chance that DONALD TRUMP WINS IN NOVEMBER, I WILL IMMEDIATELY RESIGN MY POSITION AS SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE AND AS CONGRESSWOMAN. I WILL NO LONGER BE AN EFFECTIVE LEADER IF TRUMP IS THERE TO BLOCK MY AGENDA. THE ONLY CHOICE I HAVE IS TO STEP ASIDE.

I HAVE DONE ALL I CAN TO BLOCK HIS WORK, BUT MY CONSTITUENTS ARE STARTING TO TURN ON ME AND BACK TRUMP. I AM NO LONGER WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT. THEY WANT TRUMP, AND IF THEY CHOSE HIM IN NOVEMBER, I WILL STEP ASIDE AND SUPPORT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE.”

Once again, the right takes a satire piece and tries to pass it off as news.

Harry & Meghan have upset the republicans, fair play to them.

A congressman is demanding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are stripped of their royal titles for allegedly 'interfering' in the upcoming US election.

Republican lawmaker Jason Smith of Missouri hit out after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry urged Americans to 'reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity' in a joint broadcast.

Mr Smith was due to send a letter making his request to the British Ambassador to the United States Karen Pierce on Friday afternoon, reports said.

He argued Meghan's political opinions are 'thinly disguised' which he says is a breach of the British Royal Family's neutrality.

Harry & Meghan have upset the republicans, fair play to them.

He argued Meghan's political opinions are 'thinly disguised' which he says is a breach of the British Royal Family's neutrality.

Doesn't apply to them anymore, surely?

While the sentiment is admirable, I won't believe 'em until H&M start soup-canning the filth.

Doesn't apply to them anymore, surely?

While the sentiment is admirable, I won't believe 'em until H&M start soup-canning the filth.

I doubt it's written into law, but the protocol is for the royals to be politically neutral, they are still members of the firm, and still hold their titles, hence the demand to have them stripped of their titles.

On 18 January 2020, Buckingham Palace announced that, following their decision to step back from royal duties, from 31 March 2020 Harry and his wife have agreed not to use their Royal Highness styles, but as a British prince he will not be stripped of his style and titles

"Republican lawmaker Jason Smith of Missouri hit out after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry urged Americans to 'reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity' in a joint broadcast."

But I thought it was the left responsible for violence and anti-American rhetoric, the left who spread fake news, the left who were for nothing and against everything? I'd have thought a true Trump-believer would have been nodding along in agreement with his and her ex-highnesses.

It's almost as if the Republican establishment know they've been the baddies all along.

BBC Radio 4 News this morning (8am) reported that Downing St modellers are predicting a landslide vote against Trump, and that the UK Government should distance themselves from him and schmooze Biden. This wasn't repeated on later news broadcasts - did they have pressure put on by pro-Trump Government Ministers or the US Embassy?
Apparently the story is also in today's Sunday Times.

Not available here

Synopsis here

John Oliver on Trump's Covid diagnosis: 'Both shocking and utterly inevitable'

Oliver also urged viewers to reset expectations for an immediate answer to the election on 3 November, as counting a record number of mail-in ballots will probably take days, if not weeks. “It might help to stop thinking about it as an election night and instead as an election month,” he said, “which is a lot like when someone says it’s their birthday month, in that the very concept makes every decent American want to vomit.

“This is going to take an adjustment on everybody’s part, from individual voters to TV networks that are accustomed to going all-out in selling election night as an event, to social media networks that could become cesspools of misinformation,” he said. Part of that adjustment is planning ahead: vote early if you can, request absentee ballots as soon as possible and return them quickly.

"if you're up ten, run like you're down ten". the Lincoln Project has upped their donation appeals, not because they're short of money, but because they intend to hammer the message right up to election night. that biden is up natioanally means nothing, he's got to be up in PA, MI, FL, AZ. he's got CA and NY sewn up, and other states too, but not enough. and it's not only a matter of states, it's a matter of zip codes.

in the senate i only see Collins in ME as losing. at the last minute i'd bet that voters in SC will go for good ol' Lindsey. and at the last minute i also see alot of republicans now tagged as "biden republicans" voting the party instead.

so no talk of landslides please. let's see it first.

☝Will have been amplified by the already converted not a sudden wave of people of colour seeing that tweet and thinking oh yeah trump maybe he’s great after all.
The rented ‘diverse’ crowd at that bizarre rally yesterday was really small. maximum 500 souls willing to stand there in the hats cheering when it was announced he’d issued two thousand invites.
Might make some of his supporters feel less ashamed though (look we’re not racist black stock photo people love trump too).

"if you're up ten, run like you're down ten". the Lincoln Project has upped their donation appeals, not because they're short of money, but because they intend to hammer the message right up to election night. that biden is up natioanally means nothing, he's got to be up in PA, MI, FL, AZ. he's got CA and NY sewn up, and other states too, but not enough. and it's not only a matter of states, it's a matter of zip codes.

in the senate i only see Collins in ME as losing. at the last minute i'd bet that voters in SC will go for good ol' Lindsey. and at the last minute i also see alot of republicans now tagged as "biden republicans" voting the party instead.

so no talk of landslides please. let's see it first.
McSally and Tillis look toast as well. Also, he's up in all those States, and only in Iowa and Ohio, of the key swing states, is Trump ahead - and by the slenderest of margins as well. I wholeheartedly agree with you about there being no room for complacency - but a little positivity does no harm.
Umm, you also forgot about Wisconsin

Unproven (especially in Biden's case). There's enough legitimate bricks you can throw at both men without getting desperate.
In Trump's case it hasn't been proved in a court of law and almost certainly never will, even if there are attempts to revive prosecutions after he loses (suspect the various statutes of limitations will also kick in). But in terms of there being significant, plausible and consistent evidence out there, well, I believe his accusers, full stop. Proof isn't just a legal process. Fucking hell, he even admitted it.

i've never known what to make of it. home to both lafollette and mccarthy. as to current politics there i'm in the dark (about PA and SC i know a thing or two).
Yeah, agreed, poltically schizoid sorta place. I mentioned it because flipping that was key to Trump's win in 2016, and by all indications if Biden takes that, PA and MI, he's home and hosed, irrespective of Florida.
FWIW, 538's poll tracker shows Biden ahead by a distance
(e2a: the polltracker in Wisconsin, that is).

In Trump's case it hasn't been proved in a court of law and almost certainly never will, even if there are attempts to revive prosecutions after he loses (suspect the various statutes of limitations will also kick in). But in terms of there being significant, plausible and consistent evidence out there, well, I believe his accusers, full stop. Proof isn't just a legal process. Fucking hell, he even admitted it.
I believe his accusers too. I just don't see much point wasting time focussing on this, vile though it may be.

Back
Top Bottom