Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

Not so according to the Guardian. Pence wasn’t voted for as president-elect, so it’d be back to the courts

According to that if Trump is dead or incapacitated then Pence couldn't be on the ballot as you vote for a person.

In the next paragraph, if the same happens to Biden, then the Democrats can select someone else.

I suspect the article might just be a set of 'I reckons' from the Guardian. :hmm:

According to that if Trump is dead or incapacitated then Pence couldn't be on the ballot as you vote for a person.

In the next paragraph, if the same happens to Biden, then the Democrats can select someone else.

I suspect the article might just be a set of 'I reckons' from the Guardian. :hmm:
Ohh any article now is a series of ‘I reckons’ because there is no system or protocol in place.

I think the article is saying that you can’t go on the simple presumption that Pence would take over, even though it’s the most likely choice.

they can’t just print an article that goes ‘fuck knows’ (tho I gather buzzfeed did do just that)

Just seen it pointed out elsewhere that he'll be missing at least a fortnight of fundraisers which none of his lot will want.

But it's never, ever happened.

Even the mid-terms in 1918 went ahead in the midst of Spanish Flu.
You're not really comparing like with like there though, and the US was really shit at dealing with Spanish flu. We're talking about the candidate being dead here though, a whole new ball game.
As I noted above.
yup, we've all noted that. It could just about, possibly, change if both Trump and Biden became incapacitated, given the massive potential for massive riots to break out and the country descending into complete chaos. Unlikely, but what isn't this year?

Stops democrats using his poor handling of the virus as a campaign theme, doesn’t it? Would be tasteless to attack that for the next few weeks. What else have they got?

Stops democrats using his poor handling of the virus as a campaign theme, doesn’t it? Would be tasteless to attack that for the next few weeks. What else have they got?

Isn't that going to be their entire campaign theme for the next few weeks? Obviously they're not going to directly say "Donald Trump is so shit at fighting the coronavirus that he couldn't protect himself, how is he going to protect you?" But there has already been a lot of "We offer the president our sincere best wishes, this goes beyond politics, but it's an important reminder of how vital it is to socially distance, etc. etc."

If I was running the Biden campaign I'd tell him to just stop campaigning for the next few weeks and claim it was out of a desire for fairness. People aren't voting for him, they're voting against Trump, and the more visible Biden becomes, the more he will depress voter turnout by reminding them that he's a generic mainstream Democrat with no new ideas.

Isn't that going to be their entire campaign theme for the next few weeks? Obviously they're not going to directly say "Donald Trump is so shit at fighting the coronavirus that he couldn't protect himself, how is he going to protect you?" But there has already been a lot of "We offer the president our sincere best wishes, this goes beyond politics, but it's an important reminder of how vital it is to socially distance, etc. etc."

If I was running the Biden campaign I'd tell him to just stop campaigning for the next few weeks and claim it was out of a desire for fairness. People aren't voting for him, they're voting against Trump, and the more visible Biden becomes, the more he will depress voter turnout by reminding them that he's a generic mainstream Democrat with no new ideas.
Fair point about Biden, and he looked like a waxwork in the stills I saw from the debate. Let the clown show take top billing.

Yes probably best idea, although it does run the risk of people when they come to vote thinking ah ok it's Trump against ... who's this guy again?

Biden looks like an animated cadaver in that pic.

Reminds me of Douglas-Home

"Furthermore, whilst Wilson dominated the airwaves, Home was anything but a natural on television. Famously, he once asked a make-up lady if she could make him look better on television. She replied with a curt no, adding by way of explanation that he had a head like a skull. Home thought that surely everyone’s head looked like a skull. The reply was a blunt no."

Capture.JPG

I would slightly amend that. Do a lot more of the virtual and online campaigning, plus a the train stops. he comes across well with both.
Plus, I hope the second debate happens for exactly the same reason - Biden came across as the exasperated adult in the room, trump as the semi-housetrained, appallingly behaved toddler

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what the Biden campaign does now - obviously 'going all positive' is bullshit, but I guess their negative will be more subtle?

You'd hope so - stressing the benefits of masks and not spreading coronavirus round to all your mates for example :)

Assuming Trump survives (likely really given the care he’s getting) he’s going to brag about it and challenge Biden to give it a go isn’t he? Like his health has undergone a test and triumphed, let’s see you do that, old man.

Assuming Trump survives (likely really given the care he’s getting) he’s going to brag about it and challenge Biden to give it a go isn’t he? Like his health has undergone a test and triumphed, let’s see you do that, old man.

Im sure thats what he would want to happen and probably planning for. But the virus may have other ideas - like him being incapacitated or comatose for months - or dead.

Back
Top Bottom