Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

I guess the dems have to find some way of making him look bad while, you know, taking the high moral ground and not openly hoping he dies

Oh, you just know some moron is going to openly crow about Trump getting Covid 19. It'll play for weeks on right-wing media.

If he passed it on to Biden- who looks like he might kick the bucket imminently even if he hasn’t got Covid - and he can’t continue then does Harris automatically become their candidate?

If he passed it on to Biden- who looks like he might kick the bucket imminently even if he hasn’t got Covid - and he can’t continue then does Harris automatically become their candidate?
It’s up to the democrat ‘leadership’. Technically they could choose anyone, practically it would have to be Harris or Sanders. So, Harris.

It’s up to the democrat ‘leadership’. Technically they could choose anyone, practically it would have to be Harris or Sanders. So, Harris.

I was wondering if it put Sanders back in play as he was ‘runner up’. Who is the Democrat ‘leadership’ in this scenario?

I don't see that Sanders could win at this point. He's have needed a massive mobilisation at the grass roots level to get close to a victory. I don't think he works as the parachuted in safe pair of hands.

I'm still not sure though how any of these scenarios play out given that millions of votes have already been cast for Biden v Trump.

I don't see that Sanders could win at this point. He's have needed a massive mobilisation at the grass roots level to get close to a victory. I don't think he works as the parachuted in safe pair of hands.

I'm still not sure though how any of these scenarios play out given that millions of votes have already been cast for Biden v Trump.
Based on guesswork rather than absolute knowledge, but as I understand it, after the election the electors who make up the electoral college are technically able to cast their vote to anybody they like. Obviously by convention, this is usually the presidential candidate who has won the vote in each state, but it can technically be for anybody.

In 2016, Bernie Sanders, John Kasich, Colin Powell, Ron Paul and Faith Spotted Eagle each got one vote each in the electoral college despite not being on the ballot. Presumably in the event that a presidential candidate died before the election, votes from the electoral college could theoretically go to whoever the DNC decided was their new candidate.

If Trump is incapacitated could the GOP try and push for a delay to the election?

Some (slightly sensible?) Republicans might vote against a delay though, so as to minimise Trump's involvement and noise-making ;)

Piss-taking pure speculation is obviously the way to go here, after all :p

There’s not enough time to put a delay through, realistically. He probably wouldn’t become ill enough for it to become necessary to find a replacement for a couple of weeks, which only leaves a couple more weeks to get such totally unheard of legislation passed. So it won’t happen.

probably

If Trump is incapacitated could the GOP try and push for a delay to the election?
Count on it.

No.

Article 2 of the Constitution empowers Congress to choose the timing of the election. An 1845 federal law fixed the date it's always been on. It would take a change in federal law to move that date. This would mean legislation enacted by Congress, signed by Trump and subject to challenge in the courts.

The House of Representatives is controlled by Democrats. The Senate by Republicans. It ain't happening.

Even if it somehow did, there is little wriggle room for a new date. Constitution mandates that Congress must be sworn in by Jan 3rd. And the new President's term must begin on Jan 20th. These dates cannot be changed by passage of normal legislation.

So no.

If either Presidential candidate dies at any point after winning the election, then the VP immediately takes over. They then select a new VP, but that VP's appointment needs to be confirmed by the Senate
Not so according to the Guardian. Pence wasn’t voted for as president-elect, so it’d be back to the courts

No.

Article 2 of the Constitution empowers Congress to choose the timing of the election. An 1845 federal law fixed the date it's always been on. It would take a change in federal law to move that date. This would mean legislation enacted by Congress, signed by Trump and subject to challenge in the courts.

The House of Representatives is controlled by Democrats. The Senate by Republicans. It ain't happening.

Even if it somehow did, there is little wriggle room for a new date. Constitution mandates that Congress must be sworn in by Jan 3rd. And the new President's term must begin on Jan 20th. These dates cannot be changed by passage of normal legislation.

So no.

Fair enough. Forgive my ignorance but no room for emergency powers/legislation etc?

Back
Top Bottom