Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

God knows what libcom would do- haven't visited the site in about a decade.

I don't think him reposting the photo of those two girls with paragliders stuck to their shoulder is bad, no.

God knows what libcom would do- haven't visited the site in about a decade.

I don't think him reposting the photo of those two girls with paragliders stuck to their shoulder is bad, no.
Ah ok. “Libcom” is stil your tagline on here, hence the mention. If you don’t have 63.8k followers on twitter the question is less relevant tbf. :)

AB has posted about the ongoing furore and, to give credit where it's due, I don't think you can fault the response:
Sounds like a challenge to me! :)

Here goes:

Bastani -

"I have, at no point, said those individuals should face prosection - let alone 'collaborated' with the police, an insinuation which is wholly inaccurate"

Mohammed El-Kurd -

"One might argue that Aaron Bastani’s actions fall within the realm of free speech, however, exploiting an atmosphere that is already hostile to Palestinians and collaborating with the British establishment to smear, police, and punish us and our allies sounds less like free speech and more like harassment and incitement. "

This aspect of Bastani's response is a straw man and is disingenuous.

I think the original accusation of 'collaboration' was disingenuous. I think it was particularly nasty to associate 'collaboration' with the word 'police', that was done to get maximum outrage points. So I think AB has responded to the spirit of the accusation just fine :p

I think the original accusation of 'collaboration' was disingenuous. I think it was particularly nasty to association 'collaboration' with the word 'police', that was done to get maximum outrage points. So I think AB has responded to the spirit of the accusation just fine :p
I have some sympathy with that and we are getting into language really.

I don't know Mohammed El-Kurd but it is entirely possible that he was using "policing" entirely correctly as a disciplinary activity by the establishment and the media. Or not.

I suspect, as with so many ailments in the current era, that Foucault is probably to blame somehow.

I find it all rather bizarre and the public accusation to be almost absurd. There's lots of annoying things AB says, but to question whether leftists are allowed to openly debate forms of protest expression in the age of social media is a bit ridiculous. The worst thing you can say about it is that it was piling on to some idiots who will probably regret what they did in a few years, but since tabloids etc were commenting on it anyway, he's hardly made it worse for them, and as a 'commentator' it was hardly the worst thing he's felt the need to comment on. I think to call it policing is wrong - such issues have to be debated, and there's no option but to debate them in public these days.

I think the original accusation of 'collaboration' was disingenuous. I think it was particularly nasty to associate 'collaboration' with the word 'police', that was done to get maximum outrage points. So I think AB has responded to the spirit of the accusation just fine :p
He even used the word insinuated so I think you're spot on. It is probably how he first read it and no doubt others will have as well.

Back
Top Bottom