Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

F91137B0-B121-4A79-81F1-FDACD04E252F.jpeg

Wasn’t sure where to put this. I don’t even know where to begin. It’s part of a baffling discourse that rumbles along on Twitter that trans rights will make Scotland like the Handmaid’s Tale (in ways that I can’t comprehend and frankly don’t make sense).

There’s absolutely no way to engage with this level of bonkersness.

View attachment 284726

Wasn’t sure where to put this. I don’t even know where to begin. It’s part of a baffling discourse that rumbles along on Twitter that trans rights will make Scotland like the Handmaid’s Tale (in ways that I can’t comprehend and frankly don’t make sense).

There’s absolutely no way to engage with this level of bonkersness.
I thought this was the Subject that May Not Be Discussed on U75?

It's chrisssssssmas so here's two pro-plague genocidal liberal shitshovelling hottakes for the price of one.

marie le conte laurie penny pro plague scum.jpg

You must be the only person posting here who Laurie Penny hasn't blocked. You're letting the side down.

She hasn't blocked me yet.
Anyone got a message to pass on?

(I'm not sure I remember who she is, but the name sounds like some kind of liberal trustafarian)

Louis Allday is from the bonkers beeleyite commentariat wing whose cv consists mostly of "I was a research intern at the British Embassy in Damascus. In 2009"

The brightest girl in the school gets a shoeing

It may well be a very lightweight book (I've not read it and don't know) but I think it's a very dishonest review in which LP was never to be given a chance because she's taken the 'wrong' position on trans issues, according to the guardian mafia. Slight giveaway here: "who therefore has some trouble with the word woman". But otherwise I think the reviewer is studiously avoiding the thing she's most annoyed about, and which is the real reason it was decided that LP should be given a kicking in the guardian.

Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) of the book in question, I can tell that review is fucking shit.

It should also be noted that there are currently a lot of authoritarians around: Bolsonaro, Johnson, Putin, Trump, Jacinda Ardern … No, not Ardern. Ha, I almost got you there, didn’t I? Actually, Penny doesn’t mention Ardern at all, nor even Angela Merkel.

Does this reviewer think that Jacinda Ardern and Angela Merkel are authoritarians? If not, why the fuck even mention them?

Regardless of the merits (or lack thereof) of the book in question, I can tell that review is fucking shit.

Does this reviewer think that Jacinda Ardern and Angela Merkel are authoritarians? If not, why the fuck even mention them?
Yeah that was fucking weird. Ardern is authoritarian because she used government powers to stop lots of people dying in the pandemic perhaps? Merkel I can't even guess what she's trying to imply.

It should also be noted that there are currently a lot of authoritarians around: Bolsonaro, Johnson, Putin, Trump, Jacinda Ardern … No, not Ardern. Ha, I almost got you there, didn’t I? Actually, Penny doesn’t mention Ardern at all, nor even Angela Merkel.
I don't think she's accusing Ardern or Merkel of being authoritarians, just pointing out that they're inconveniently powerful women. My main beef with the review is that the 100% cancellable expression "no shit sherlock" gets wheeled out.

However shit the review is, the book does sound pretty execrable too if she's even halfway accurate with those quotes, and the accusations seem vintage Penny - convenient anecdotes from circle of friends etc.
The important thing is that she made it in LA and you didn't.

On the other hand the patreon is down to €1600 a month. Enmeshed in a world of poverty redux.

The phrase 'girlboss' is infantalising and unnecessary ever say 'manboss' or 'boyboss', Guardian reviewer?

It was popularised by this person apparently.

/shudder

Sophia, a misfit, discovers a passion for fashion, becoming an unlikely businesswoman in the process. As her business grows, however, she has to learn to cope with life as her own boss. This show is loosely based on the true story of Nasty Gal Founder, Sophia Amoruso.

Oh dear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom