Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

This is what they actually think... voters as school children.

My School Had A Referendum On Getting Rid Of Homework, And It Didn't Quite Go To Plan | HuffPost UK

Homework of course, being that thing that is totally uncontested as being academically useful. The author of this article, who had to use teaching as an analogy because they are so clueless about everything else, does not appear to know that much about their own area of professional expertise.

...he's done a TED talk though.

Not only has this idiot redefined being patronising, his analogy is shit anyway since there is an extremely lively and interesting debate about whether or not homework is any good at improving education. Many homework advocates are just emptily 'supporting' a policy which is based on no evidence, a historical hangover which gives right-wing know-nothings a hard-on because it feels all old-fashioned.

Finland - which kicks the UK's arse on education standards - got rid of homework years ago.

This is what they actually think... voters as school children.

My School Had A Referendum On Getting Rid Of Homework, And It Didn't Quite Go To Plan | HuffPost UK

Homework of course, being that thing that is totally uncontested as being academically useful. The author of this article, who had to use teaching as an analogy because they are so clueless about everything else, does not appear to know that much about their own area of professional expertise.

...he's done a TED talk though.

That’s cringeworthy

The amount of homework my 5 year old gets home is nuts, as he's already knackered (tearful tantrum style tired) by 4pm- there's something in there for every day of the week. We often just miss bits. I'll carry on doing that until social services gets involved. :) This news strengthens my Brexit stance.

Anyone been following the Sam Kriss implosion? A woman accused him on facebook of sexual harassment/assault while on a date, as part of the #metoo campaign. He has issued a quite shit semi-apology. There are rumours that Vice will no longer be commissioning him, though I haven't seen that confirmed.

Vice have confirmed they have no plans to commission any further pieces from him, yeah.
Ah, cheers. I've enjoyed reading him but nobody is totally necessary and it's good to see this stuff highlighted on the left. I'm glad he's having to answer for his actions.

Suspect his career will recover one way or another, but we'll see.

Anyone been following the Sam Kriss implosion? A woman accused him on facebook of sexual harassment/assault while on a date, as part of the #metoo campaign. He has issued a quite shit semi-apology. There are rumours that Vice will no longer be commissioning him, though I haven't seen that confirmed.
In case anyone missed it:

#MeToo and Sam Kriss - Pastebin.com

Today an allegation of sexual harassment and aggression was made against me, and I want to address…

The tweets on there actually defending his attempt to "provide context" or "explain the misunderstanding" fuck sake.
Yeah, there's a world of difference between a mistaken drunken attempt to kiss someone and the kind of domineering persistence and physical assault described. To be fair I felt most people in the comments recognise what a shit 'apology' it is. It's always so telling when someone can't even apologise properly - just confirms they really didn't get what they did wrong.

Another twitter dude torpedoed for being a creep - this time GQ political correspondent (now ex-GQ political correspondent) Rupert Myers. I'm only vaguely aware of him as a smug faced irritant tbh.

Another twitter dude torpedoed for being a creep - this time GQ political correspondent (now ex-GQ political correspondent) Rupert Myers. I'm only vaguely aware of him as a smug faced irritant tbh.

He was very vocally supportive on twitter of the women speaking out about Weinstein and others, and someone called him out for his hypocrisy (Marie Le Conte, I think)

He was very vocally supportive on twitter of the women speaking out about Weinstein and others, and someone called him out for his hypocrisy (Marie Le Conte, I think)

Then there's this thread...

Plan C are very good at faux intellectualising themselves into any position they want. I think there's totally a London-centric back slapping circle of people that are getting very excited at being personally very close to the Corbyn/Mason thing - Novara seem to have lost all perspective and critical abilities.

As those articles try to make clear, Plan C itself has no official position with regard to Labour or Corbyn afaik. So I'm not sure Plan C has got itself into any position. I heard the other day someone telling me in full confidence that Plan C had affiliated to the Labour Party. Which just shows people are very quick to leap to uncharitable interpretations of people having debates, which it seems to me is what those articles are doing. In fact both articles express a lot of reservations about committing to Labour per se.

As those articles try to make clear, Plan C itself has no official position with regard to Labour or Corbyn afaik. So I'm not sure Plan C has got itself into any position. I heard the other day someone telling me in full confidence that Plan C had affiliated to the Labour Party. Which just shows people are very quick to leap to uncharitable interpretations of people having debates, which it seems to me is what those articles are doing. In fact both articles express a lot of reservations about committing to Labour per se.

You're right, Plan C doesn't have any official position on the Labour Party and Corbyn. It has though, got itself into a position of being very supportive and excited about both, and by extension parliamentary politics, with not much criticism coming from anyone else in the organisation, so it's easy to see why it might be seen as an official position by some. It's not all of Plan C for sure, but those that are tend to be the loudest members that get heard the most at the moment.

Last edited:
Commentariat Patreon breakdown.

Name / followers / cash per month / notes

Stavvers /42 / not stated / is doing that writing a novel in November thing. Also apparently posts up her income monthly.
Laurie Penny / 605 / $4,333 / is also writing fiction. For $10 a month you would have been given the opportunity to choose what she reviews
Richard Seymour / 228 / not stated / a daily diary and other bits including his thoughts on the anarchist bookfair debacle
Sam Ambreen / 1/ $2 / just a couple of links to her blog thus far. (possibly defunct idk)
Working Class History (I think a subset of Libcom?) / 34 / $184 / drumming up cash for a podcast and oral history project.
Sam Kriss / 21 / $129 / you can marry this dude for $1 million. Probably best avoided though, eh?

Also try hards like this with no followers: Matt Turner is creating incisive, eye-opening political commentary and analysis. | Patreon

Not on there as far as I can see:

Paul Mason
Owen Jones
Jack Monroe

Presumably because they have relatively stable income from other sources.

Also the Novara lot, who do their own fundraising as an org.

Who have I missed?

Back
Top Bottom