Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

That's the American liberal's point of view.
It seemed to be yours too earlier. But, in fact, the US liberals view of russia is not that it presents a threat to their interests because of its left-wing nature is it? Plenty of US liberals actually like Putin - see the Green party goon reffed in your post above. And their deputy leader is even worse.

It seemed to be yours too earlier. But, in fact, the US liberals view of russia is not that it presents a threat to their interests because of its left-wing nature is it?
Obviously not, but they are cynical enough to weaponise anti-Communism with regards to it anyway.

I didn't think it needed spelling out earlier that I didn't actually think Russia was a left-wing state, and that I was only portraying their characterisation of it.

Obviously not, but they are cynical enough to not care about that.

I didn't think it needed spelling out earlier that I didn't actually think Russia was a left-wing state, and that I was only portraying their characterisation of it.
But that's not their characterisation of it at all. Where do they attack Russia for being left wing?

But that's not their characterisation of it at all. Where do they attack Russia for being left wing?

That said, for most Americans it's shocking to see an American presidential candidate openly touting authoritarian, communist Russia...

I imagine the old time American Communist Party is spinning in its collective grave with envy at what Trump is accomplishing.

That said, for most Americans it's shocking to see an American presidential candidate openly touting authoritarian, communist Russia...

I imagine the old time American Communist Party is spinning in its collective grave with envy at what Trump is accomplishing.
Any more?

Putin Trump

To start with, we have here a project/website funded by the Clinton supporting liberal "Progress for USA" PAC - launched by big-bucks Democratic donor Rob Glaser and headed up by the former long-term stalwart/vice president of NPR.

The website's banner:

8fZehtk.png

I could just stop there :D

WHY: AMERICAN VALUES ARE ON THE LINE

Did you know that Putin was a KGB foreign intelligence officer for 16 years before he went into politics? Or that Putin likes Trump because Trump is “sensible enough to stay out of the way?” Or even how Trump was totally unaware that Russia had already invaded the Ukraine?
Here's a snip from the home page. Count the hammers and sickles.

nXXjWZe.png

Next up, a ridiculously long-winded theory about Trump falling into the spell of crypto-Communist Putin.

Trump and Putin: A Love Story - The New Yorker

Putin was less ambivalent about the collapse of the Soviet Union. In 2005, he called it “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the past century.” Although it was Yeltsin who brought Putin to Moscow, Putin has expressed barely concealed contempt for the nineteen-nineties, the Yeltsin era, as a period of unrelieved chaos, theft, and humiliation.
The Dangers of the Putin-Trump Relationship

Rob Glaser is one of the leading left-of-center campaign donors in America. With a fortune gained as an early employee at Microsoft and then as founder of RealNetworks, Glaser has backed causes including the Democracy Alliance and the early political career of Barack Obama. In this current cycle, Glaser is funding a new kind of political effort: a website—PutinTrump.org—intended to highlight the connections between the Republican presidential nominee and Russia’s authoritarian president. PutinTrump.org will launch on September 21.

Glaser and I overlapped at Yale University in the early 1980s. I interviewed him by email about his latest political venture.
As Glenn Greenwald points out, the Democrats have been 'red-baiting' against Jill Stein, Bernie Sanders, Wikileaks and Edward Snowden too.

A New McCarthyism: Greenwald on Clinton Camp's Attempts to Link Trump, Stein & WikiLeaks to Russia | Democracy Now!

Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S.

What’s Behind Barack Obama’s Ongoing Accommodation of Vladimir Putin?

Despite the fact that Russia ceased long ago to be guided by anything resembling communism, this linking of one’s political adversaries to the Kremlin is such a potent tactic in the U.S. because of decades of Cold War rhetoric about Moscow. Referring to Putin, Matt Lauer this week asked Trump: “Do you want to be complimented by that former KGB officer?” Denouncing Trump’s praise of Putin, Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel called the Russian president “a communist leader that’s a potential enemy!”

Barely been looking 10 minutes.

Putin Trump

To start with, we have here a project/website funded by the Clinton supporting liberal "Progress for USA" PAC - launched by big-bucks Democratic donor Rob Glaser and headed up by the former long-term stalwart/vice president of NPR.

The website's banner:

8fZehtk.png

I could just stop there :D

WHY: AMERICAN VALUES ARE ON THE LINE

Did you know that Putin was a KGB foreign intelligence officer for 16 years before he went into politics? Or that Putin likes Trump because Trump is “sensible enough to stay out of the way?” Or even how Trump was totally unaware that Russia had already invaded the Ukraine?
Here's a snip from the home page. Count the hammers and sickles.

nXXjWZe.png

Next up, a ridiculously long-winded theory about Trump falling into the spell of crypto-Communist Putin.

Trump and Putin: A Love Story - The New Yorker

Putin was less ambivalent about the collapse of the Soviet Union. In 2005, he called it “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the past century.” Although it was Yeltsin who brought Putin to Moscow, Putin has expressed barely concealed contempt for the nineteen-nineties, the Yeltsin era, as a period of unrelieved chaos, theft, and humiliation.
The Dangers of the Putin-Trump Relationship

Rob Glaser is one of the leading left-of-center campaign donors in America. With a fortune gained as an early employee at Microsoft and then as founder of RealNetworks, Glaser has backed causes including the Democracy Alliance and the early political career of Barack Obama. In this current cycle, Glaser is funding a new kind of political effort: a website—PutinTrump.org—intended to highlight the connections between the Republican presidential nominee and Russia’s authoritarian president. PutinTrump.org will launch on September 21.

Glaser and I overlapped at Yale University in the early 1980s. I interviewed him by email about his latest political venture.
As Glenn Greenwald points out, the Democrats have been 'red-baiting' against Jill Stein, Bernie Sanders, Wikileaks and Edward Snowden too.

A New McCarthyism: Greenwald on Clinton Camp's Attempts to Link Trump, Stein & WikiLeaks to Russia | Democracy Now!

Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S.

What’s Behind Barack Obama’s Ongoing Accommodation of Vladimir Putin?

Despite the fact that Russia ceased long ago to be guided by anything resembling communism, this linking of one’s political adversaries to the Kremlin is such a potent tactic in the U.S. because of decades of Cold War rhetoric about Moscow. Referring to Putin, Matt Lauer this week asked Trump: “Do you want to be complimented by that former KGB officer?” Denouncing Trump’s praise of Putin, Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel called the Russian president “a communist leader that’s a potential enemy!”

Barely been looking 10 minutes.
I missed this sunday.

These are all examples of liberals attacking Russia for being Communist or Left-wing?

First one does no such thing.
Second one does no such thing.
Third one does no such thing.
Fourth one does no such thing and only talks about sanders historical pro-cuba statement.
The last one has a democrat rep saying that Putin is a Communist.

5 minutes reading.

I missed this sunday.

These are all examples of liberals attacking Russia for being Communist or Left-wing?

First one does no such thing.
Second one does no such thing.
Third one does no such thing.
Fourth one does no such thing and only talks about sanders historical pro-cuba statement.
The last one has a democrat rep saying that Putin is a Communist.

5 minutes reading.

Bollocks.

I said they disingenuously characterise it as Communist, and smear their targets by association. You keep on misstating my statements as "attacking Russia for being left-wing".

It is basic red-baiting.

Last edited:
they always make such a big deal out of it as well, just selling the old birthright for a mess of pottage lads AND HERE IS WHY

nobody cares about yer lack of conviction. You'll always be suspect to your new allies anyway. Have fun etc

they always make such a big deal out of it as well, just selling the old birthright for a mess of pottage lads AND HERE IS WHY

nobody cares about yer lack of conviction. You'll always be suspect to your new allies anyway. Have fun etc

Funny how you never hear about the conversion stories from right to left, and it's not because they don't happen.

does that end as per below, or is there some sly pay wall preventing me from seeing the rest ?

I notice a woman walking along the pavement a few yards ahead of me. She turns to look at me and then, not too fast, she starts running on ahead. She is not dressed for running.

It does end with a running woman, yes.

Why, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom