Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

I wasnt aware opf that - her tweet which is linked to says:
"Yes I am transgender. Not all trans people transition from one binary gender to another"

That's the only bit of decent opinion I could see on her whole Twitter feed.

This is why I hate twitter... Am curious about what she wants to tell the world, but a tweet leaves me nonethewiser
perhaps they want to live their life feeling true to who they really feel they are. (Plus they no longer identity fully with the gender box marked 'girl' so female pronouns aren't appropriate.)

To be honest I don't claim to fully understand it either. But then it doesn't have to make sense to me, in a way it only has to make sense to Jack Monroe and other non binary transgendered people.

I understand that it means they are moving from the box marked 'girl' or 'boy' to the box (such as it is) marked 'none/both of the above). And I say 'such as it is' because to me it seems that the point being made is that gender doesn't fit in neat little boxes, that like sexuality it's more of a fluid concept. It might be a spectrum with boy at one end and girl at the other. Some people identify 100% at either end but others like jack are somewhere inbetween.

But I am no expert and I might have gotten this completely wrong.

Ive never had much slightest interest in stereotypically 'girly stuff' and have often wondered whether i'd more happy as a man. Doubt it though. :D and tbh i prefer wearing dresses and skirts these days tbh

To be honest I don't claim to fully understand it either. But then it doesn't have to make sense to me, in a way it only has to make sense to Jack Monroe and other non binary transgendered people.

I understand that it means they are moving from the box marked 'girl' or 'boy' to the box (such as it is) marked 'none/both of the above). And I say 'such as it is' because to me it seems that the point being made is that gender doesn't fit in neat little boxes, that like sexuality it's more of a fluid concept. It might be a spectrum with boy at one end and girl at the other. Some people identify 100% at either end but others like jack are somewhere inbetween.

But I am no expert and I might have gotten this completely wrong.
I get that, but does finding your spot on a spectrum count as trans? If so I'm trans too! Which if everyone is happy with Id be happy with too

Last edited:
My only problem with this so far is talking about a serious subject full of nuance on twitter, and half the tweet taken up by a hashtag ;)

Here's Laurie Penny indirectly plagiarising her own editor.

LP: When is a terrorist not a terrorist? (October 17).

Helen Lewis: When is a terrorist not a terrorist? When he’s a white man with a gun (July 2).

I am, though, impressed with LP's ability to arrive at a topic later than everyone and still manage to offer no original opinions.

Could be worse. If Hari had written that he'd probably have included a selfie with Osama bin Laden.

And plenty of quotes.

plenty of made up quotes, you mean ;)

"It was dawn. Dawn in the sweltering heat of Osama's mountain retreat. We sat watching the sun, awaiting the incoming drone strikes, watching for the tanks, listening intently for the helicopter gunships and the SAS snatch squads that we felt sure must come. As i looked at him and he loked at me we shared a momentary bond, a mutual understanding. He gazed at me with his wise, warm, wrinkled features and totally ruined the moment, ruined MY moment (hugely important and consequential because I'm a Western scribbler and darling of the commentariat, obviously), by saying:

"Yes, your career really is based almost entirely on a tissue of bullshit, isn't it..?"

Ive never had much slightest interest in stereotypically 'girly stuff' and have often wondered whether i'd more happy as a man. Doubt it though. :D and tbh i prefer wearing dresses and skirts these days tbh

cause it's complicated. innit.

I know i have serious issues with the expectations of gendered behavior, but its about the difference in being a female who does not feel comfortable with femininity, and not identifying as female. I know i got a lot more comfy with being female once I understood that I didn't have to behave according to someone else's diktat on what was acceptable female behavior. but although i don't really understand jack's dicussion, their explanation sure as hell sounds a lot different to my experiences. which is why i reckon the terfs have it well wrong on trans identities.

"It was dawn. Dawn in the sweltering heat of Osama's mountain retreat. We sat watching the sun, awaiting the incoming drone strikes, watching for the tanks, listening intently for the helicopter gunships and the SAS snatch squads that we felt sure must come. As i looked at him and he loked at me we shared a momentary bond, a mutual understanding. He gazed at me with his wise, warm, wrinkled features and totally ruined the moment, ruined MY moment (hugely important and consequential because I'm a Western scribbler and darling of the commentariat, obviously), by saying:

"Yes, your career really is based almost entirely on a tissue of bullshit, isn't it..?"

you clearly have the literacy requirements.....

Back
Top Bottom