Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

cause it's complicated. innit.

I know i have serious issues with the expectations of gendered behavior, but its about the difference in being a female who does not feel comfortable with femininity, and not identifying as female. I know i got a lot more comfy with being female once I understood that I didn't have to behave according to someone else's diktat on what was acceptable female behavior. but although i don't really understand jack's dicussion, their explanation sure as hell sounds a lot different to my experiences. which is why i reckon the terfs have it well wrong on trans identities.

you clearly have the literacy requirements.....

Yeah agreed. I cant say ive ever felt like the way they describe at all. It was a really interesting read tbh

And the way terfs (for want of a better word) describe the current day situation of womanhood and 'how it is for all women' is completely alien to me too tbh.
I don't fit into the typical 'heels and make up' femininity box either, and the way terfs speak about womanhood is anathema to me. I don't recognise what I live every day in their descriptions.

I don't fit into the typical 'heels and make up' femininity box either, and the way terfs speak about womanhood is anathema to me. I don't recognise what I live every day in their descriptions.

Like according to some of them you would think that all women were kept permanently pregnant and chained to a kitchen. Im not denying it is that bad for some people, but every woman? Nah

I saw one ages ago that said that girls wearing high heels was just as bad as foot binding :facepalm: i dont wear high heels and they are bad for you, but its nowhere near the universally accepted mutilationary practice foot binding was in china ffs!

I saw one ages ago that said that girls wearing high heels was just as bad as foot binding :facepalm: i dont wear high heels and they are bad for you, but its nowhere near the universally accepted mutilationary practice foot binding was in china ffs!
Yeah, there seems to a lot of hysterical handwaving and over extrapolation.

Laurie's attitude to the refugee crisis before and after it became clickworthy.

View attachment 77937
From that same NS article, this amazing lie is still there.
There is a reason that Angela Merkel’s response, in June, to a demonstration where the bodies of drowned migrants were buried on the front lawn of the Bundestag was stony silence. All of this has happened before. All of this, in fact, is precisely what the European Union was established to prevent.

James Bloodworth blocked loads of people who questioned his made up stuff about Cubans in Syria and his general shitness. That'll do it James.

Snowman fetish?

uktv_the_snowman.jpg

drivel. Utterly obvious and unoriginal. Banal. I'm going to stop before I end up posting a very long rant about the article's poor quality. her writing was not so universally and repeatedly substance free before Harvard - if this is the quality of writing one can aspire post-harvard then I am glad I will never get to go.

It's a shame really, the subject itself opens up interesting avenues for discussion. There's no need for the article to be quite so flimsy- she doesn't even make the point that the main reason some married men don't have to worry about work life balance is down to their spouse taking care of the 'wife work', which can include chores, cooking, shopping for food, paying bills, childcare, school runs, general chauffeur services, arranging appointments, remembering family birthdays and so on.

drivel. Utterly obvious and unoriginal. Banal. I'm going to stop before I end up posting a very long rant about the article's poor quality. her writing was not so universally and repeatedly substance free before Harvard - if this is the quality of writing one can aspire post-harvard then I am glad I will never get to go.

It's a shame really, the subject itself opens up interesting avenues for discussion. There's no need for the article to be quite so flimsy- she doesn't even make the point that the main reason some married men don't have to worry about work life balance is down to their spouse taking care of the 'wife work', which can include chores, cooking, shopping for food, paying bills, childcare, school runs, general chauffeur services, arranging appointments, remembering family birthdays and so on.

Somewhat sad that somebody from Harvard with years of experience still manages to take potentially interesting issue and reduce it to empty platitudes and buzzword bingo. Still, another day another byline.

Not sure that Molly has anything to do with that book before people get carried away slagging it off... Looks like she is just doing a gig at a book launch for Kate Evans.

Not sure if Kate deserves to be on a thread reserved for the Commentariat; I've always had the sense that she lived her politics fairly honestly.

I still like In Our Time, though.

Not sure which song you're referring to there :confused:

Anyway, this one was written about the Thatcher govt, but could have easily been applied to the Blair govt with just a few small changes, and "the liberal (with a small l) weeping in front of the TV" could now be Billy himself wringing his hands on his twitter feed

Back
Top Bottom