Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

what if you win the lottery and want to live in a mad posh place like that but don't want to get yoga'd? I'm imagining hiding behind my 4000 pound sofa (because if I win the lottery I am having a disgustingly expensive sofa) as the yoga man knocks shouting through the letterbox at chakras and that

Or easier to get them all at once... :hmm:

napalm.jpg

It seems to be the current in thing to do. 99 times out of 100 they're actually the curator of fuck all.

Pickman's model can advise further, but I don't think 'curating' is a real verb, it's one of those made up ones.

I have heard of someone working as a temp in an office, who was asked to "curate" (i.e., arrange) a meeting

not sure what's "made up" about "to curate" as a verb, though. :confused:

The rise of the superstar curator in the late 80s and 90s in the art world paralleled the rise of the superstar DJ. Until, well, it was worked out that with the right connections and a modicum of organisational and social skills, anyone could do it. Just like with the right software anyone can be a DJ.

everyone's a curator now as a result.

I know Dan Hodges is a massive fucking weapon but even for him, this:

Massive Fucking Weapon said:
They had come. The young. The old. The women. The men. The blacks. The whites. The rich. The poor, (actually, they seemed predominantly middle-class to me).

is very bad indeed. Cos, y'know, black people aren't men or women, young or old, rich or poor, not really, are they Dan, they're just not like us

I know Dan Hodges is a massive fucking weapon but even for him, this:

is very bad indeed. Cos, y'know, black people aren't men or women, young or old, rich or poor, not really, are they Dan, they're just not like us

How has he used "blacks" differently from "whites" in that list? (Apart from being earlier in the word order.) Genuinely puzzled, non-rhetorical question.

an intersectional lens? isnt that a prism?

when i was little, I got a visit to a science museum that had an exhibit for kids that included a ring of mirrors. you had to climb under the edge, and stand inside the hexagon (i think, but some kind of multi-sided shape) that was about 2m accross where every wall was a mirror. then see all the images of yourself, reflections inside reflections.

I think that's an intersectional lens, at least the way this lot use intersectionality. because all they see is themselves reflected over and over again, rather than the world outside of the walls.

"The blacks" has a bad weight to it, historically. Hodges should know this, being a man of letters and all. If he'd said "Black people. White people" or "Black. White." that would have been ok.

With that clarification, it seems we agree that textually, there's no difference in MFW's treatment of each of the groupings mentioned - just adding the article 'the' to each of them and putting them in a list.

That was what i was curious about. I understand what you're saying about the historical resonance of "The blacks" being different from his identical mentioning of other groupings.

No, it's not a prism.

Stop being so chromato-normative, you Godless heathen!

Wheras your choice to use the term godless heathen only proves your cultural imperialism. Only someone who holds a false belief in their own innate superiority could assume that someone is without a structured system of belief in the catagorisation of optical elements, simply because they reject the definitions you use. you need to check your privilege before commenting again.

"Edit" you mean? "Shop our latest edit" is the stuff that's on discount/sale. Presumably they're editing the range they carry and selling off what they're editing out.
in the last six-twelve months it's become a thing in my work too. it's extremely wanky but i think you have the meaning slightly wrong - i take it to mean edit as in edition or like an editor would get rid of all the shit just leaving the gold

eg:
http://www.very.co.uk/veryedit

in the last six-twelve months it's become a thing in my work too. it's extremely wanky but i think you have the meaning slightly wrong - i take it to mean edit as in edition or like an editor would get rid of all the shit just leaving the gold

eg:
http://www.very.co.uk/veryedit
Ah, I don't tend to click links to anything that's not a sale - it make sense that edit is highlights in all senses not just reduced price highlights.

Wheras your choice to use the term godless heathen only proves your cultural imperialism. Only someone who holds a false belief in their own innate superiority could assume that someone is without a structured system of belief in the catagorisation of optical elements, simply because they reject the definitions you use. you need to check your privilege before commenting again.

:)

Terrible infantile Bruce Sterling quote posted on urban75 poster and little bit autonomist Laurie Penny's instagram. On top of everything else, 'weirdness' isn't even a registered spoke on the wheel of oppression so why bother? The 'fail' is only compounded further by the smug Harvard victory pic just below it.

The last line of that quote is missing.

Most of all, remember that if being weird doesn't work you're from a loaded family and you've got loads of rich journalist mates who'll make sure you're absolutely fine.

Try working at Tesco's and being that weird and see if you get away with it. I'm not even saying I disagree with the sentiment: it's just that it's easy to be what you want when you've got cash and contacts. Most people can't even dye their hair a funny colour without risking the sack.

Back
Top Bottom