Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

Probably mixing up a service medal with the george cross that was awarded to the island.

I was more triggered by the needy NS post election gibberish.

"We can take a few days to drink cold tea and listen to Billy Bragg’s saddest albums."

Good lord:

"The politics of the modern right are the politics of depression, and right now they are winning. What remains of the British left is flat on its back, staring at the ceiling in a mess of unwashed sheets, and shouting at it to get up is not going to help right now.

I’m not about to tell you to just buck up. I’m not advocating enforced blissed-outedness like a sort of fascist Gwyneth Paltrow. Some of my best friends are hippies, and I like yoga and meditation and suspicious smoothies as much as the next bourgeois lefty throwback, but downward-facing-dog is not a radical position, and that’s not what this is about."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...ulation-hard-govern-depressed-population-easy

Probably mixing up a service medal with the george cross that was awarded to the island.

I was more triggered by the needy NS post election gibberish.

"We can take a few days to drink cold tea and listen to Billy Bragg’s saddest albums."
Typically awful article from her. "Politics of despair" fuck off, that's the mirror of the "Politics of envy" that rw commentators prattle on about.

Only thing she's got right in that is that the opposite of depression is action, not happiness.

All her other bits just don't ring with my personal experience of depression (though I'm fairly sure she had suffered depression herself, everyone is different) and the comparison/analogy/whatever to politics is just wrong, and action for actions sake is not good either in depression or politics. Sometimes you need to stop and think.

Regardless of the medal thing, I don't really care about it one way or another and it's just another example of her making everything about her to boost her brand, I sort of agree with the general sentiment. Whoever defaced the memorial is obviously an idiot or an agent provocateur but at the end of the day it's a memorial which can be scrubbed and put back as it should be. What cannot be put right ever is the loss of the thousands who have died because our government believes that wealth transfer from the poorest to the richest is more important than the lives of the most vulnerable in society. You also cannot just make right the long term effects of malnutrition on children, those are permanent. How many of those who are aiming their violent vitriol at Laurie Penny are upset and offended by that? Not many I bet. I think that they are cheering it on.

Typically awful article from her. "Politics of despair" fuck off, that's the mirror of the "Politics of envy" that rw commentators prattle on about.

Only thing she's got right in that is that the opposite of depression is action, not happiness.

All her other bits just don't ring with my personal experience of depression (though I'm fairly sure she had suffered depression herself, everyone is different) and the comparison/analogy/whatever to politics is just wrong, and action for actions sake is not good either in depression or politics. Sometimes you need to stop and think.
I predict that she'll bounce back in a few days and return to banging on about parties and ambition and lashings of fab rich'n'famous chum banter. This zinger is all the better, coming as it does, direct from a cloistered brandbuilding self styled nerd in Harvard of all places, who struggles to come up with a pop culture reference other than billy fecking bragg
...so many decisions about your life are being made without your input, by people whose interests are so alien to your own they may as well be on a slab in a base in New Mexico.
The accompanying pic of a white clenched fist is intensely problematic as well. :mad:

Regardless of the medal thing, I don't really care about it one way or another and it's just another example of her making everything about her to boost her brand, I sort of agree with the general sentiment. Whoever defaced the memorial is obviously an idiot or an agent provocateur but at the end of the day it's a memorial which can be scrubbed and put back as it should be. What cannot be put right ever is the loss of the thousands who have died because our government believes that wealth transfer from the poorest to the richest is more important than the lives of the most vulnerable in society. You also cannot just make right the long term effects of malnutrition on children, those are permanent. How many of those who are aiming their violent vitriol at Laurie Penny are upset and offended by that? Not many I bet. I think that they are cheering it on.
It's ok to deface red army war memorials so unless it was a cop, they should've done the tag in Ukrainian colours or something.

The Drunken Bakers guys said it somewhat better.

She did a sad cos darling Vince is off to sign on, sip cold tea and listen to Bragg. Hang in there hun.

View attachment 71365

What a fucking idiot.

Privatising the NHS is a little bit com... I can't even do this, she is just a fucking idiot insulated from the world and any critical thought by her private education and the privately educated. JUST FUCK OFF.

Back
Top Bottom