Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

2218_1295934214943.jpg

Wasn't really sure where to put this but I suppose here is as good as anywhere

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...rve-working-class-culture-at-Millwall-FC.html

Sociology students' trip to observe 'working class culture' at Millwall FC

To anyone else, a trip to a football match would merely be a chance to see some sport played.

But for sociology students at one sixth form college, it has been billed as an educational opportunity to see racism, homophobia, hyper masculinity and working class culture in action.

Varndean College in Brighton is offering AS-level sociology students the chance to watch Brighton and Hove Albion take on the “notorious” Millwall Football Club at their home team’s American Express Community Stadium.

A poster for the trip on Friday says those involved will be able to see “gender performance” in action, including types such as “the new lad” on show.
There will also be a chance to observe “issues around sexuality, race and ethnicity,” “women challenging gender norms” and to “even talk to football fans,” it promises.

A schedule of planned trips on the college’s website says the football excursion would help teach students about class, leisure and masculinity, and possible racism and homophobia as well.

Isn't that just some students who have managed to convince a gullible college to fork out on football tickets for them?

Also given the skyrocketing price of football tickets, there's an obvious flaw in their plan.

Don't know about Millwall but there's very little tolerance for racist abuse etc at Wycombe.

You're thinking of the MPLA. Roberto's group were the FNLA, who were ultimately crushed by the MPLA, who also tried and executed this 'Colonel Callan'.

Yep, you are correct. Interestingly, 'Colonel Callan's' sister ended up marrying his chief prosecutor.

I've also been entirely blocked from following a certain Twitterati's feed for asking one inconvenient question, by the way.

Unless the school has undergone a radical transformation, Varndean college was hardly some elite private institution - pretty prole-y tbh (alongside its near rival, Dorothy Stringer)...so I am thinking rather more along the lines of studenty scamming and a very basic sociology curriculum - I very much doubt some sneering exercise is the case.

For the avoidance of doubt, the above was obviously a joke. The students are probably cunts.

The students are just 6th-form students. It's whoever put the syllabus for the sociology AS Level who's the cunt, especially as their notions of the students conducting ethnographic research in an environment that will supposedly absolutely expose them to "racism, sexism and hyper-masculinity" are assumptions on the part of the person who set the syllabus, not a "general rule" for attendance at Millwall matches (or any other soccer team's matches for that matter).

As an aside the comparison between Newcastle and Millwall taunts towards Seagulls fans is entertaining...well they made me smile being on the receiving end.

Millwall: 'What's it like, what's it like, what's it like to fuck a boy?'

Newcastle Utd: 'You're just bi-curious, you're just bi-curious....'

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

As BHAFC season ticket holders both I and Louis Jnr will be attending tonight's fixture where we will be performing 'hyper masculinity' for the benefit of the Varndean 6th formers.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Well that was pretty awful; Millwall were poor but we were worse and there were various bits and pieces of crowd trouble at both ends so at least the Varndean students got to see some 'hyper masculinity' on display.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom