Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The leaked documents seem more true given the embarrassing information regarding the US spying on Zelensky and the stuff about the South Koreans. The situation is far more dire than the reports we generally get.
CNN reporting that partners in the Five Eyes intelligence alliance are expecting the USA to share a 'damage assessment' and that partners will have to do their own as well.

Where are all the war boys and their views given the leak of intel?
Don't think there's that much of interest in it. Leak-wise, it's pretty small fry and doesn't reveal much that you couldn't infer with an educated guess or two. Russian intel would be shockingly poor if it actually contained anything they weren't already 95% confident on. Added bonus that they now have to consider whether it's an intentional leak or not, so in a way it muddies the waters for them.

Some people are making a big deal out of the US spying on its allies, but that's nothing new under the sun. It would be shocking if they sent Zelenskiy billions in aid and weapons and didn't keep tabs on him.

Don't think there's that much of interest in it. Leak-wise, it's pretty small fry and doesn't reveal much that you couldn't infer with an educated guess or two. Russian intel would be shockingly poor if it actually contained anything they weren't already 95% confident on. Added bonus that they now have to consider whether it's an intentional leak or not, so in a way it muddies the waters for them.

Some people are making a big deal out of the US spying on its allies, but that's nothing new under the sun. It would be shocking if they sent Zelenskiy billions in aid and weapons and didn't keep tabs on him.
How quickly Iraq and Afghanistan have been forgotten.

Not to mention intel regularly contains things of which int bodies are far less than 95% certain, there's an entire literature on how to convey uncertainty to the consumers of intelligence

It certainly shows the level of bullshit propaganda from the West’s reps. All the casualty numbers put out by the Ukrainians, all fantasy.
It certainly shows the level of bullshit propaganda from Russia's reps. All the casualty numbers put out by the Russians, all fantasy.

People lie in war shocker. I'll tell you something super secret that wasn't in the leaks... Even the Russians and the Ukrainians don't know the real numbers.

Where are all the war boys and their views given the leak of intel?
Which bits are you specifically asking people to comment on? If it's the casualty figures, well, the document I saw said this:

One document reports the Russians have suffered 189,500 to 223,000 casualties, including up to 43,000 killed in action. American officials have previously estimated Russian losses at about 200,000 soldiers. While American officials are more circumspect in describing Ukrainian losses, they have said there have been about 100,000. The leaked document says that as of February, Ukraine had suffered 124,500 to 131,000 casualties, with up to 17,500 killed in action.

Doesn't really look good for the Russians, does it, if they've had between 2 and 3 times the KIA numbers of Ukraine, and nearly double the number of casualties (excluding the civilian deaths in Mariupol, Bucha, Kherson etc. of course).

Not sure if you were looking at the doctored versions or not, but there were some doctored figures from the leaks circulating on Russian Telegram channels to over exaggerate the Ukrainian losses and under report Russian casualties. Interesting thread on it here if you were interested:

Last edited:
It certainly shows the level of bullshit propaganda from Russia's reps. All the casualty numbers put out by the Russians, all fantasy.

People lie in war shocker. I'll tell you something super secret that wasn't in the leaks... Even the Russians and the Ukrainians don't know the real numbers.
even after a century no one knows precisely how many british servicemen died in ww1, there are errors in rolls of honour sometimes good, people listed in fact survived, sometimes bad, people died who aren't listed. names are still being added to the american vietnam memorial. i bet the russians (and for that matter, the ukrainians) don't have lists of everyone they have submitted to the battlefield as combatants. so it's no surprise no one knows how many troops or civilians have died, especially with the casual way civilians have been targeted in the conflict and the ways in which russia is reported to have dealt with at least some of the corpses of their own casualties.

I recommend reading the Bellingcat piece I linked to about this upthread. It points to someone releasing the pics as a stupid bit of dick-waving. If this is actually the case I suspect they may be regretting it now, one or more of the servers the pics originally appeared on have been deleted/shut down. Also only one of the images has been doctored according to Bellingcat.

I recommend reading the Bellingcat piece I linked to about this upthread. It points to someone releasing the pics as a stupid bit of dick-waving. If this is actually the case I suspect they may be regretting it now, one or more of the servers the pics originally appeared on have been deleted/shut down. Also only one of the images has been doctored according to Bellingcat.
Frightening to think that someone on a circulation list for classified war documents would have been posting on a Minecraft section of a Filipino Youtube celeb Discord server. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Last edited:

to settle an argument? :eek:
Video games seem to be the main way of sharing military secrets these days.

Frightening to think that someone on a circulation list for classified war documents would have been posting on a Minecraft section of a Filipino Youtube celeb Discord server. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Someone realised classified documents to win an argument about a computer game...

Yeah, I thought that was weird. Is it not just accepted that the US spies on everyone else, friends and foes alike? :confused:

(Likewise for countries in general though obviously their capacity to do so depends on their resources.)

don't you remember how the US handed out millions and millions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan without any record being kept of where this largesse was going? Not to mention stinger missiles given to all and sundry in the 80s, many of which were bought back after? It would not, to me, be in the least surprising if tabs weren't being kept

don't you remember how the US handed out millions and millions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan without any record being kept of where this largesse was going? Not to mention stinger missiles given to all and sundry in the 80s, many of which were bought back after? It would not, to me, be in the least surprising if tabs weren't being kept
Slightly different situations - post war Iraqi and Afghan governments also had no idea where the money and equipment went. I'm sure they were spying on them like crazy, but they weren't getting any information because it wasn't there. And insurgencies were expected to funnel half of it to warlords as part of the deal.

Ukraine has an idea of where the money and equipment goes, so it's worth spying on them.

One of the first casualties of war is the truth ...

and

No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy ...

and

the americans spy on everyone, including themselves and their allies.
actually, everyone spies on everyone else, especially when there's a war on ...

Must check the What Are You Playing At The Moment thread on these boards to see if Urban's military experts have slipped anything in there on the quiet?

I've often thought that CoD and similar online mulitplier games are perfect for communicating about alsorts of nefarious shit. Military specs and tactics? Part of the game. Extremist language? There is a little of that too.

Video games seem to be the main way of sharing military secrets these days.

A major plot-point in 2017's season 2 of Norway-invaded-by-Russia drama Okkupert

There is the possibility it was leaked deliberately as a diversionary tactic. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened. :hmm:
It could be a modern-day "operation mincemeat"... if so, the level of acting by all parties in the know surrounding this incident would put the RSC to shame...

Chances are that it isn't though...

Slightly different situations - post war Iraqi and Afghan governments also had no idea where the money and equipment went. I'm sure they were spying on them like crazy, but they weren't getting any information because it wasn't there. And insurgencies were expected to funnel half of it to warlords as part of the deal.

Ukraine has an idea of where the money and equipment goes, so it's worth spying on them.
You're saying the US government spied on the coalition provisional authority?

Back
Top Bottom