Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I've often thought that CoD and similar online mulitplier games are perfect for communicating about alsorts of nefarious shit.
Think I once heard about Moshi Monsters (childrens spelling/maths game) being used as a communication tool for terrorists way back, seemed quite feasible

Think I once heard about Moshi Monsters (childrens spelling/maths game) being used as a communication tool for terrorists way back, seemed quite feasible
My son used to play that. There was penguin chat or something as well and they used a kids penguin game in Four Lions.
I always liked some drug dealers method of communication. Having a shared login to hotmail and saving drafts to commmunicate. No actuakl emails ever sent.

So i guess Ukraine is fucked then? The US Department of Defence internal documents seem to say so. Why are we supplying materiale? Face saving?

Note how they emphasised the risk to US moles in the Russian Govt.

Combine that with the prediction Ukraine air defence will fail later this spring and this looks a bit fishy.

Get the Russians chasing their tails and causing stifling paranoia in the Kremlin. Give the Russians the false hope of Ukraine being on their last legs before a spring offensive.

Maybe I’m over thinking this one.

So i guess Ukraine is fucked then? The US Department of Defence internal documents seem to say so.
Which bit specifically says that?
Why are we supplying materiale? Face saving?
To stop Russia continuing their genocidal terror across the rest of Ukraine? I'd rather not have any more Buchas or Mariupols please. It's almost like people have forgotten the hundreds of executed civilians last year. The bodies in the streets of Bucha, the basement torture chambers, the mass graves of civilians with hands tied behind their backs are not something I ever want to see again.

Maybe Russia will be nicer second time round though, I don't know 🤷‍♀️

Which bit specifically says that?

To stop Russia continuing their genocidal terror across the rest of Ukraine? I'd rather not have any more Buchas or Mariupols please. It's almost like people have forgotten the hundreds of executed civilians last year. The bodies in the streets of Bucha, the basement torture chambers, the mass graves of civilians with hands tied behind their backs are not something I ever want to see again.

Maybe Russia will be nicer second time round though, I don't know 🤷‍♀️
It seems the US expectation (on the basis of the leaked assessments) is Ukraine will not do well in the upcoming counteroffencive. Just seems a bit weird to me to not give them airpower and more tanks. It's like you're setting them up to fail.

I know the nuke risk has to be factored in but he's been rattling that sabre for years.

It seems the US expectation (on the basis of the leaked assessments) is Ukraine will not do well in the upcoming counteroffencive. Just seems a bit weird to me to not give them airpower and more tanks. It's like you're setting them up to fail.

I know the nuke risk has to be factored in but he's been rattling that sabre for years.
The US also thought they would collapse in days at the start and were planning towards having to support an insurgency so I'd take their predictions with a pinch of salt. But yeah the Ukraine offensive is going to be rough it may not go all that great. But that is a long way from them being fucked.

kebabking

The official MoD line is that the leak demonstrated a "serious level of inaccuracy". However what functions would, hypothetically of course, the presence of UK and other Ukraine supporting countries special forces perform in Ukraine?

The US also thought they would collapse in days at the start and were planning towards having to support an insurgency so I'd take their predictions with a pinch of salt. But yeah the Ukraine offensive is going to be rough it may not go all that great. But that is a long way from them being fucked.
You don't think they should have planned for the worst then

kebabking

The official MoD line is that the leak demonstrated a "serious level of inaccuracy". However what functions would, hypothetically of course, the presence of UK and other Ukraine supporting countries special forces perform in Ukraine?

Broadly - and hypothetically, of course - the kind of things you'd be doing would be sending independent reporting back to your government (Ukraine is the UK's friend, but they are interested in their best interests, not ours...), liaison for stuff like intelligence gathering, help with analysis from intelligence gathering, and help with training for technical stuff like Ground Target Designators.

Beware of reading too much into it though - 'Special Forces in Ukraine' might simply mean the protection teams at the embassy.

I quite like the idea that the end of days for the world was brought about by a bunch of blokes dick waving over a video game. Nostradamus didn't see that one coming.
The truth shall be revealed, the veil of lies torn apart,
The faithful shall falter, and the world shall lose its heart.
But out of the ashes, a new dawn shall rise,
A world reborn, with wisdom and light in its eyes.

Broadly - and hypothetically, of course - the kind of things you'd be doing would be sending independent reporting back to your government (Ukraine is the UK's friend, but they are interested in their best interests, not ours...), liaison for stuff like intelligence gathering, help with analysis from intelligence gathering, and help with training for technical stuff like Ground Target Designators.

And presumably gathering material for a selection of mass market paperbacks?

I think they switch to English when discussing between nationalities, Nor - Ru, Nor - EU etc. so there's a real mixed bag but it was a while ago i saw it.
Cheers. I watched the trailer and it looks right up my street. We watch a lot of Scandi stuff but I have to keep going back every time I nod off much to the disgust of my skim-reading wife.

Back
Top Bottom