Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

if your currency totally collapses does it mean ordinary people will struggle to buy things they could afford no problem last week or would it take a while to have that sort of impact on everyday life ?

if your currency totally collapses does it mean ordinary people will struggle to buy things they could afford no problem last week or would it take a while to have that sort of impact on everyday life ?

It'll take a few days for supplies to flatline.

Imagine the start of lockdown here but you've a barrow full of cash and it's still only getting you 2 toilet rolls.

They will probably be providing European-owned MiGs - Poland, Slovakia and Bulgaria operated them at least until recently. One of them had Su-25s too.

Can't provide anything else really as there's no training.
Ahhh, I was wondering how they'd get around that. I didn't imagine they'd turn up with a bunch of F16s and go "there you are lads, remember that the indicator is on the other side".

Nah, he's in the know.

And US intelligence clearly wasn't wrong when they said "We are certain that Putin plans to invade Ukraine very soon."

As the Senate Intelligence Committee states: "By law, the President is required to ensure that the Committee is kept “fully and currently informed” of intelligence activities—meaning that intelligence agencies are required, generally in writing, to notify the Committee of its activities and analysis ... Under certain circumstances, the President may restrict access to covert action activities to only the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Committee, the Chairman and Ranking Member of the House Intelligence Committee."

So while Marco Rubio is a conservative Republican shithead and everything he says should be interpreted in that context, he's still one of the few dozen people in the world with the most access to intelligence agencies' reports on Ukraine.

Well I for one unsurprisingly have been wrong all the way along on this. I didn't think he'd invade (although I can understand that the threat of NATO pushing further and further east would put the shits up Putin), and I never remotely thought that Ukraine would fight as they had done. Amazing people.

The only reason I can think that Putin didn't send in the planes and bomb the shit out of the place was the loss of civilian life and how bad it would look, but I'm not sure I can see Putin being too bothered about that.

Well I for one unsurprisingly have been wrong all the way along on this. I didn't think he'd invade (although I can understand that the threat of NATO pushing further and further east would put the shits up Putin), and I never remotely thought that Ukraine would fight as they had done. Amazing people.

The only reason I can think that Putin didn't send in the planes and bomb the shit out of the place was the loss of civilian life and how bad it would look, but I'm not sure I can see Putin being too bothered about that.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Part of the game for these people is to try and outsmart the other guy, to be unpredictable. (Wankers!)

His massive stockpile of nukes is aging and a lot may very well be past their kill by date🤣.

Russia isn't doing the US style shock and awe because they can't.

They may have loads of kit and troops but they never had the budget for the training the US does. The maintence the fuel the stock piles of hi tech weapons etc all takes money getting troops out on the ground cost cash even if you only pay them in cabbages . Tanks need fuel and ammo etc etc etc.

They may have built the armata a high tech super tank but they only brought 7 along with their stealth jet purchushed a total of 57.
Even the UK brought 48bwith options for another 100

I don't think it's unreasonable to question US intelligence pronouncements following the post 911 bullshit, twisted for political purposes. But they seem to have been accurate this time.

I can't see Putin being bothered, but I can see that he might be bothered about Russian soldiers/ the Russian public's reaction to doing that to people they consider at least close neighbours, if not friends and relatives.

The Ukrainian people are already putting up a stiff enough resistance -- anyone umming and ahhing about whether or not to fight back against the invader would probably be pushed to action if Russia starts literally carpet bombing major population centers.

Presumably the same as any other weapons and equipment supplied by Ukraine's allies?

I read that the Ukrainian pilots were leaving Ukraine to get the planes rather than them being brought in to Ukraine by British or EU pilots.
As they are MiG29's they ain't British pulots

The Ukrainian people are already putting up a stiff enough resistance -- anyone umming and ahhing about whether or not to fight back against the invader would probably be pushed to action if Russia starts literally carpet bombing major population centers.
what military action do you suggest the ukranian population make against carpet bombing?

It does seem that they are refraining from heavy bombing and air attacks - are you saying they are incapable?
I know nothing about it but I would guess its more a political decision than an inability.

It's definitely a choice - he's demonstrated in Syria that the supersonic bombers can be used to deliver huge amounts of conventional bombs - the Tu-22M Backfire bombers, which have been used to fire cruise missiles into Ukraine, can carry 69 500lb bombs, and the Russians have 40+ of them operational. They could, if they wanted, do a mass raid on Kyiv/wherever and produce results not unlike, in fact probably worse, than allied 1000 bomber raids on Berlin, or Hamburg in 1945.

I think this, and lots of other indicators, point to him wanting Ukraine intact, not particularly because for PR reasons, but because he has an emotional/ownership attachment to Ukraine as a part of Russia - he wants to walk down the streets of the White City while the Russian flag flutters in the breeze, he's not interested in owning Allepo.

I think this, and lots of other indicators, point to him wanting Ukraine intact, not particularly because for PR reasons, but because he has an emotional/ownership attachment to Ukraine as a part of Russia - he wants to walk down the streets of the White City while the Russian flag flutters in the breeze, he's not interested in owning Allepo.

In putins mind this is more a war of liberation than aggression

what military action do you suggest the ukranian population make against carpet bombing?
i'm not talking about a different kind of military action to what we're already seeing, i'm talking about more ordinary people, not army members, taking up arms and fighting back directly

Back
Top Bottom