Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

A state of emergency as been declared in Kursk, so presumably this is now more than just a minor cross border incursion. Time for Russian civillians to die just for being in the wrong time

They could always write to their MP saying that the war is going badly and perhaps it's time to stop.

Only calling it a war would see them thrown in jail.

Saying it's going badly would see them thrown in jail.

Suggesting stopping would see them thrown in jail.

Cos the Nazis are in Kyiv, obviously.

That's the problem when you're already bombing hospitals. "Major provocation". Like what the fuck else is he going to do to Ukraine? They've already used everything in the arsenal bar chemical/biological/nuclear weapons, and Putin needs enough adoration that he can't take the entire world cutting them off for that. He'd lose all his adoring fans.

Well, he has already used chemical and radiological weapons in , checks notes, Sailsbury and London respectively , and it didn’t seem to do him much harm at the time…

Last edited:
Some Russian media coverage here. The talking heads are not happy with the way things are being handled.

Last edited:
Good work from the Ukranians. I think an aggressive strategy like this will yield better results than months of trench warfare. And ultimately save a lot more lives, civilian and otherwise in the long term.

Anyway after what has been a worrying time for anyone with pro Ukrainian sympathies it’s good to see something happening. Hopefully they’re not doing it just for that reason..just to see something happening.

No one seems to know what is the reason or objective but I imagine all will become clear in the next few days.

Anyway after what has been a worrying time for anyone with pro Ukrainian sympathies it’s good to see something happening. Hopefully they’re not doing it just for that reason..just to see something happening.

No one seems to know what is the reason or objective but I imagine all will become clear in the next few days.

No one knows, the US/UK/EU has no idea, but it seems to be working. Russian troops inside Russia are not the volunteers/desperate Russians, duped foreigns, desperate foreigns, but military service guys, who can't be sent abroad; just doing their national service. No wonder their bosses fled and they waived the white flag. Whether this yields long term results or not it's quite the coup, and nice to see the Kremlin scumbags sweating.

Amusing titbit:

The area that Ukraine has taken in Russia over the last four days is a third larger than the area of Russia has taken in Ukraine in the last year.... 😬

Obviously, Ukraine hasn't taken that territory in the same way, they've rolled over it, and large swathes of that 'area' haven't been within 10 miles of a Ukrainian tank, and I don't see Ukraine really trying to hold it - it's about throwing Ru operations in Ukraine off balance, and providing much needed respite to the Ukrainian forces on the relentlessly hard pressed *Öst Front.

They've brassed up an airfield, used the incursion to do a gun run to batter a big logs base with GMLRS - if they're sensible they'll hang around long enough to divert as much Ru effort from Ukraine as possible, but not long enough to either be destroyed/defeated, or encircled. The deeper they go, the thinner their lines get, the less mass they have at any point.

There are dangers here, but the biggest danger is always reacting to what the other guy does, not forcing him to react to what you're doing - it also breaks the most dangerous narrative, that for Ukraine it's just a matter of time before they have to come to Russia's terms, which is the narrative that will end Western support for Ukraine.

No one knows, the US/UK/EU has no idea, but it seems to be working. Russian troops inside Russia are not the volunteers/desperate Russians, duped foreigns, desperate foreigns, but military service guys, who can't be sent abroad; just doing their national service. No wonder their bosses fled and they waived the white flag. Whether this yields long term results or not it's quite the coup, and nice to see the Kremlin scumbags sweating.
Apparently a fair number in the area that just "noped" out of it were Chechen recruits. They're on no one's side but their own.

Apparently a fair number in the area that just "noped" out of it were Chechen recruits. They're on no one's side but their own.

They'll be for the chop down the line

Dunno - part of Kadyrov's thing is that Chechen units/individuals don't get topped by Kremlin controlled MOD even if they aren't under his direct control. It's very much part of the symbiotic relationship between Kadyrov and Putin - that for Kadyrov to have use to Putin, he has to have the power/patronage to keep Chechnya under control, and for Putin to have use to Kadyrov Putin has to be both benefactor (huge wedges of federal cash), and threat, who Kadyrov protects the Chechens from.

It's this Byzantine, 'frenemies' thing they've got ,- neither Kadyrov nor Putin has anymore loyalty to the other than I have to my last shit, and if it suited them they'd happily top the other, but as it stands they both need the other - though to my eyes, Kadyrov gets more out of it than Putin, but otoh, a quiet Chechnya is worth more to Putin that the other peoples money and lives that get shovelled south...

IIRC, Kadyrov's minions have been used, quite a lot, as barrier troops to stop the meat assault personnel from deserting their posts and going home to mum.

[dammit pressed post before I had finished ...]

So, for the Chechens to "run away" could be seen as "interesting" , although I don't think they have much of a reputation as a true fighting force, more like terrorists.

Good work from the Ukranians. I think an aggressive strategy like this will yield better results than months of trench warfare. And ultimately save a lot more lives, civilian and otherwise in the long term.
Whats the life expectancy of those Ukrainians over the border?
What's your expectation of "results"?

I cry for the dead I really do.

Whats the life expectancy of those Ukrainians over the border?
What's your expectation of "results"?

I cry for the dead I really do.

I think it makes it more real to the Russian public which realistically is one of the main ways the war will come to an end. Through public opposition. Given the Russian milibloggers are all saying "wtf is going on?!" seems like a result to me, in that it becomed increasingly obvious despite the propoganda that the war is not going to plan and might not even be winnable.

Obviously I am not some kind of war monger who really believed either side will be 'defeated' and I cry for the dead too. I guess we just differ in our interpretations of how to best bring a return to peace about.

IIRC, Kadyrov's minions have been used, quite a lot, as barrier troops to stop the meat assault personnel from deserting their posts and going home to mum.

[dammit pressed post before I had finished ...]

So, for the Chechens to "run away" could be seen as "interesting" , although I don't think they have much of a reputation as a true fighting force, more like terrorists.
The Chechen forces as much a "true fighting force" as other groups in this conflict such as the "meat assault personnel", Azov, Wagner and the conscripts and full-time soldiers in the official Ukranian and Russian armies.

Back
Top Bottom