Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

kebabking

Not a Girly Swot, but I like them....
Open source Int twitter is going into overdrive with lots of indications that a very high readiness Russian formation is massing at the jumping on off points to take a second bite at Ukraine.

There are no exercises declared to NATO or OSCE. Might be something, might be nothing.

Open source Int twitter is going into overdrive with lots of indications that a very high readiness Russian formation is massing at the jumping on off points to take a second bite at Ukraine.

There are no exercises declared to NATO or OSCE. Might be something, might be nothing.

Hmmm

In Ukraine, Parliament on Tuesday approved a statement declaring an “escalation” along the front, essentially acknowledging that a cease-fire negotiated in July had broken down. It pointed to a “significant increase in shelling and armed provocations by the armed forces of the Russian Federation.” Fighting Escalates in Eastern Ukraine, Signaling the End to Another Cease-Fire

US Chair of the Joint Chief's of Staff rang his Moscow counterpart over it today, according to CBS and Moscow Times
U.S. watching "escalation of armed confrontation" near Ukraine's border with Russia

:(

I read earlier there has been a massive spike in interceptions of Russian jets by NATO members this week as well. Hopefully just testing given the new realities but the Ukraine build up seems a bit much for that.

there were scheduled exercises there IIRC recently.

The Red Army long held a doctrine (and a good one) of going to war almost immediately after an exercise - it got everyone ready, and the logistics looked right for the watchers.

Finish the exercise, plant a couple of non-specific stories in the press about it not going well with some Officers looking for new careers, give everyone a week to get their gear sorted out and fuel and ammunition replenished, and then you're ready to roll and no one suspects a thing....

Timing could be a thing here - assuming this thing is real - it's Easter, everyone is on leave, politicians are on holiday (such holidays as they can have), the basic mechanics of of any western response are harder and will take longer because of Easter.

Putin's gains have not come because he fought NATO and won, it's because he turned up and NATO didn't, so winning by default...

I rather doubt anyone in NATO wants to fight Russia over Ukraine, but the opposite is also true - Russia doesn't want to get into a fight with NATO because a) it will lose, and b) it will go bankrupt - the key to 'defeating' Putin is to not allow him an empty space to move into...

I'm sure the EU will swing in to action on this one, an emergency Zoom meeting a week next Friday followed by a vote two weeks later should put the fear of god in to Uncle Vlad.

We're I Putin, I would spend my days worrying about the mighty hammer blow Germany is preparing for anyone who invades European countries - literally billions of high grade pieces of silver... err, I mean Euro's are just waiting to flood his bank accounts.

Interestingly, while the Russian build up is absolutely real, and may or may not lead to something in Ukraine - or, about to be ex-Ukraine....

nerdy people who have the various flight tracking apps on their phones have noticed a significant number of NATO ISR aircraft spending time around the Baltic (a good few have also been hanging around close to Crimea and the the Black Sea).

Our friend trying to keep everyone on the hop?

Interestingly, while the Russian build up is absolutely real, and may or may not lead to something in Ukraine - or, about to be ex-Ukraine....

nerdy people who have the various flight tracking apps on their phones have noticed a significant number of NATO ISR aircraft spending time around the Baltic (a good few have also been hanging around close to Crimea and the the Black Sea).

Our friend trying to keep everyone on the hop?
Belarus

I think "Desperate EU leaders secretly agree to trade Ukraine for Sputnik jab" was just a Daily Express April Fool's story.

I admit that a few months ago that would have been my reaction - I'm not convinced it's true now, but I wonder if our friend thinks it's true....

Back
Top Bottom