Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tottenham Hotspur 2022-23

Did I hear that stat right? Kane's the first Premier League player to get 100 away goals? I'm surprised Shearer didn't get there, as he's got 260 of them in total.

Time for Doherty or Spence tomorrow? Will we finally get to see 3-5-2 with the suspensions/injuries/rotation required or will it be roughly the same side?

Time for Doherty or Spence tomorrow? Will we finally get to see 3-5-2 with the suspensions/injuries/rotation required or will it be roughly the same side?
Likely Perisic on the right with Sess on the left. Would like to see Spence have a go though, maybe off the bench.

3-4-2-1 again I reckon, Richarlison Kane Son up front.

ive watched two games in their entirety this season, newcastle today and man u the otheri think i'll leave it there!

Yeah we did. Yet again not a great performance, but still 3rd and within a short distance of the top 2 - not letting Man City run away, and Arsenal (while much better than I would have given them credit for before the season started) aren't so good as to keep up a City/Liverpool-like pace of 2.5+ points per game for the whole season.

Most important factors for me were that we scored 3 without the forwards registering, and that there's plenty of character and resilience in the squad.

Big game tonight, Marseille away with a draw good enough to go through. No Romero, Richarlison or Kulusevski; dilemma as to whether to play Dier on the right of a back 3 (Lenglet middle) or Sanchez (Dier middle), and whether to play Bissouma as a 3rd midfielder or Lucas as a 3rd forward.

It takes very little courage to fight back when all seems lost. More courageous is to go out and take the game by the scruff of the neck from the start

Frustrating. Such a good second half full of intensity and high pressing; but how much of that was down to Liverpool earning the right to sit back and not chase by their first half performance?

A lesson in finishing today by 2 of the very best in the business btw. Look at Salah's first and Kane's, how early they both got their shots away before defenders had a sniff of getting set for a block. Textbook.

Should have had 2 pens - TAA on Sessegnon, it wasn't shoulder to shoulder it was an arm extended into the back; also the very definition of a high boot, Lucas was kicked in the face late on.

But pens or no pens the reason we lost wasn't the ref, it was the incredibly passive first half (again). Can we go out in the next game and play that intensity from the start, and for the love of Ginola can we please sort out the right hand side. Play Doherty or Spence, get them up and running with Kulusevski.

I'm no Spurs fan, but as a neutral you should have had at least one pen today. i really dont understand on what basis VAR didnt over rule the ref on the first one. The irony being that Salah would have got that all day long.

Never in doubt, easy.

Rodrigo Bentancur is fast becoming a serious footballer. He's been excellent at controlling the tempo from deep with his unflappable style, but he's also starting to be more incisive going forward and has added goals at big moments.

What's stopping you buying Kulusevski permanently? Are Juve not selling? Have Spurs not got the dosh? Fullbacks seems to shit themselves when he runs at them.

What's stopping you buying Kulusevski permanently? Are Juve not selling? Have Spurs not got the dosh? Fullbacks seems to shit themselves when he runs at them.
Nothing stopping it at all, we have an option to buy next summer for a previously set price. The only reason we didn't take up the option this summer was that we had similar arrangements in place for Romero and Bentancur so we're spreading the money across multiple transfer windows.

Is there a more dispiriting combination of teams to support than Spurs and England?
Wales and Cardiff City, add in Ospreys Rugby, Glamorgan cricket and Washington Commanders and I get very little joy from my teams results.

Wales and Cardiff City, add in Ospreys Rugby, Glamorgan cricket and Washington Commanders and I get very little joy from my teams results.
Fair enough 1927. As a follower of those aforementioned sports, I feel your pain and I’ll check my privilege 😂

Cristian Romero (not Cesar Romero, as I keep calling him) is a bit of nasty fucker on the pitch, isn't he? It's a skill, that's for sure.

CXncBwMWcAAjzbM.jpg

😣

somehow still in top 5 so too early to panic but somethings amiss on the attacking side...Son not in his usual genius form stands out to me...

All looks completely flat. Thing is, we've got the players to play a high pressing, quick tempo game; let the oppo have the ball at the back but go hunting in packs as they approach the halfway line. Sessegnon and Spence as rapid wing backs with a high starting position, 2 midfielders with one sitting and one pressing higher up, Son with a license to go full speed beyond Kane every time HK drops deeper to act as the link man, Kulusevski as the ball carrier between midfield and attack.

All it takes is the extra fitness required to press that much further up the pitch and the handbrake taken off by the manager. When you think about it a high-fitness, high-speed, high-intensity, high-pressing team sounds a lot like one coached by Mr M Pochettino...

I find it hard to read these things, do you see Conte as applying caution to play?
Yep. When the opposition has the ball you can see all our players returning to set defensive positions, with the wingbacks pulling back to make a 5. There's never anyone breaking ranks to put pressure on the ball until the defensive structure is completely set, which to be so consistent has to be an edict from the boss.

Compare and contrast with the better sides of the Poch-era, or teams like the Liverpool of a couple of seasons ago, Man City, Barca (2012-15); they go after the ball as soon as it's lost, try to win it back withing a few seconds. The risk is that someone with a good turn on them (think Modric, Dembele etc) can evade a tackle to break the press and we're less defensively organised, the reward is an attacking starting position much further up the pitch (likely with an opposition midway through transitioning their players from their defensive to their attacking positions, i.e. disorganised). The upside to how we play now is being more difficult to play through, the downside is that in an attacking sense it leaves us the length of the pitch to travel from deep, we end up playing in front of their defence rather than having them retreating toward their own goal.

Back
Top Bottom