Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women’s Football (aka ‘Football’) 2022/23

I don't follow football and have never bothered going to a match, but was out on the lash with quite a few of the Easton Cowgirls last week, who seemed a lovely bunch. So they're my team for sure.

I'm not sure if they win many matches though.

Bit of a disappointung match today. Lots of hard work but bugger all end product. Can see why brizzle are top of the league, solid in every area and well organised.

A decent consolation goal for Mia Enderby when already 0-3 down. She nearly got a second in injury time too, but ‘Twas not to be.

Another turnout of just under 1200, nice to be consistent.

Bit of a disappointung match today. Lots of hard work but bugger all end product. Can see why brizzle are top of the league, solid in every area and well organised.

A decent consolation goal for Mia Enderby when already 0-3 down. She nearly got a second in injury time too, but ‘Twas not to be.

Another turnout of just under 1200, nice to be consistent.
Not the best from Palace on Sunday either except it was against the slightly less mighty Sunderland, losing 0-2. Pretty scrappy toothless performance from Palace who were out-fought by Sunderland really and got hit on the break for both goals in the 2nd half. Don't know what the official attendance was my guess was around about 400 including 5 or so Sunderland fans.

Here's my exciting photo of nothing much from the first half when we were happy chugging along at 0-0:
IMG_20221016_120123.jpg

United Women will play their upcoming home Continental Cup matches against Everton and Aston Villa at Scunthorpe United’s Glanford Park.

i suppose that’s nice for the vast hoards of scunny blades, but I was looking forward to going to see the top flight clubs. There is a free coach for season tickets holders, but it’s a long bloody way.

United Women will play their upcoming home Continental Cup matches against Everton and Aston Villa at Scunthorpe United’s Glanford Park.

i suppose that’s nice for the vast hoards of scunny blades, but I was looking forward to going to see the top flight clubs. There is a free coach for season tickets holders, but it’s a long bloody way.
Was hoping to see your team v Palace on Sunday sadly got called off from the weather. Arrived at the ground in time to see the United players getting back on their coach 😣

Seeing as I'm back for a bit, just here to point out that Bristol Rovers WFC, reformed in 2019, have had two consecutive promotions and are in what looks like a four way battle for another one this time around.

2019/20 - top of the Glos county league when the season was abandoned
2020/21 - won the Glos county league by a country mile
2021/22 - won the South West regional league (Northern division) by miles
2022/23 - currently second in the the SW regional premier division

Four years after starting up again we're on the verge of National League football, which is pretty astonishing

I say "reformed" because the original BRWFC managed to reach two FA Cup semis 20 years ago before the club decided they couldn't afford it any more, cut them loose to be Bristol Academy for a bit and the club went on to become, erm, BCWFC.

The current club are very much overtly pro-LGBTQ+ (Pride & Pride Progress flags prominent, run an annual LGBTQ+ tournament with gender non specific entries, produced a special away kit in association with Bristol Pride), grassroots & community focussed (another kit features the St Pauls Carnival logo and green/red/gold colours, we have open trials for the club every summer, the players are extremely hands on with community stuff considering they're all amateur etc)

Entry is free, they're great to watch and we usually score loads of goals :D

Finally the manager isn't a certified danger which is why I watch them and have given up on the men's team entirely

Chelsea v Liverpool abandoned after 10 minutes today due to a frozen pitch. The pitch was declared dangerously unplayable at 9:30 this morning, the referee and both teams agreed that the game should not go ahead, supposedly the FA put pressure on to start, presumably because of television. Absolute shambles.

The women's game has made huge strides forward in this country in the last year or so but really needs to shape up here. We're playing top flight games on non-league grounds or training pitches - big test for how serious the authorities and clubs are about making the facilities match the rest of the product

Just about to watch Tottenham v London City in the FA Cup. Saw London City humiliate Palace 5-nil at Hayes Lane recently and they were very good at least as much as we were very bad, although they've since lost their manager to Angel City in the US. Haven't watched any WSL so don't know what Spurs are like but always hope for an upset.

Still better than the blades did today. Ouch :facepalm:
And even betterer than Palace who after generously giving Coventry not just their first win but first points of the season decided to follow that up with getting knocked out the cup 3 nil by Durham.

Looking at the Utd v Leicester game earlier it was disappointing to see so many male coaching type staff.
Moving on to the cup final, it great watching live footie from selhurst park. Sadly, I'm told it's not very good for women's toilets, very poor in fact.
Btw, really enjoying the cup final.

It's great. I have to confess I never really watched women's football before last summer. But I'm in old man's boozer right now and even all the old boys are watching it and shouting like it's a mens game.

That is not intended to be patronising, just so pleased there doesn't seem to be the novelty thing of women kicking a ball about as well as blokes.

The atmosphere's totally different in the ground, too. Everyone seems to be enjoying the football and there isn't the aggression from fans that you get with mens' matches.

Great game, really enjoyed that. More honest and less cynical than the men's game. As two sheds says, good atmosphere and a game I would be happy to take a youngster to. ( To be expected from selhurst 😉 ).

Anyone watching the Finalissima on ITV?

England v Brazil. The first time this has happened.

In the men's game it's only happened three times.

Its (I think) the winners of the World Cup v the winners of the South American version of the Euros.

It's only happened three times because in the men's game the South American teams usually win the world cup. Or so I'm led to believe.

1-0 England after 25 mins

It’s the winner of the Euro’s v winner of Copa America. USA are the World champs.

Decent game so far. Great team goal and almost a brilliant second. Far from over tho, etc etc

Its (I think) the winners of the World Cup v the winners of the South American version of the Euros.

It's only happened three times because in the men's game the South American teams usually win the world cup. Or so I'm led to believe.

Missed the first 18 mins, but England seem to be firmly in control. 👍

20230406_214258.jpg

My first pens in the flesh. Gutted they picked the other end.

Back
Top Bottom