Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your football "career" .

I played for the same team as Gareth Bale. FACT!

*although there was, admittedly, several decades between our appearances.

ADDITIONAL FACT!

My school was also the largest in Wales, the largest in Britain and the second largest in Europe (according to the school's last Estyn report) with 2400 pupils

I once referred to our school on here and was told This isn’t America. We don’t have High Schools.

Until it was pointed out that yup in Wales we do.

The legendary Harlesden Hammers, winners of the SWP Skegness International Football comp 1985.

View attachment 418666

wolverhamptons team in '90, named "bollocks to the albion" to both capture the zeitgeist and needle dudley branch, were knocked out in the first round. i think that time we also conceded twelve goals. was a right dirty match.

I went to an American Uni for a year in the 80s , they had open trials for the soccer 🥹 team. I thought , I'm mediocre in England but I could be a star over here 🤣 turned up for the trial to see loads of Mexicans who could actually play ffs , and I wasn't fit enough. I'd already had 2 years at Swansea uni , but the lifestyle wasn't great for football fitness , notwithstanding regular appearances for Mumbles 69ers (it was the 80s , we were students ffs). Anyhow, I wasn't selected, despite putting a penalty away with a certain panache.

Played a few games over there anyway for a team made up mostly of English lads , so I have played abroad 😎

ADDITIONAL FACT!

My school was also the largest in Wales, the largest in Britain and the second largest in Europe (according to the school's last Estyn report) with 2400 pupils

My son's high school has 4000 students. That blows my mind.

Ace thread.

Despite loving to watch football, I am utterly fucking useless at playing. Same with music; big part of my life but zero playing ability.

Having said that, in a PE lesson in about 1983 I did the best fucking 20 yard volley ever. Top left corner, goalie left nowhere. Stood there more dumbfounded than everyone around me.

Thought I'd quit while I was ahead. I was never going to top that.

I did however see an advert in a North India guesthouse to be manager of the National Tibetan FC in exile. I was reliably informed (by the bloke on the desk at Kungas) that as I'd been to Anfield, I was quite well-qualified. I saw them play. Got beat 2-1 by Dharamshala. It would've been quite a job.

Imagine it though. Beating China in the World Cup final, obvs.

Ace thread.

Despite loving to watch football, I am utterly fucking useless at playing. Same with music; big part of my life but zero playing ability.

Having said that, in a PE lesson in about 1983 I did the best fucking 20 yard volley ever. Top left corner, goalie left nowhere. Stood there more dumbfounded than everyone around me.

Thought I'd quit while I was ahead. I was never going to top that.
This Sunday, I played against a bloke who scored an absolute screamer against us a couple of seasons ago. He was left back and he ran on to a ball just inside our half and rocketed it into the top corner, first time. I had a joke with about with it
him, and after the game, he came to find me with his wife and kids. He's been telling the story at home for 18 months, with them doubting him and could finally introduce them to a witness.🤣The wife said I'd ruined her weekend

I play walking football at my local football league club most weeks now, after a "career" in Sunday league and 5 -a-side / works leagues. It's great, once you get used to it.

I might have to pick your brains if it works out that i lace up me InAlbertini boots again.

All of those who've shared their youth career - anyone else play with or against someone who 'made it'?

U15/16 level, I played as a centre midfielder alongside John Eustace. He was physically stronger, faster, more aggressive than everyone else, had a better first touch, could pick passes long and short, shoot from distance, and above all could read the game like no-one else. He really was fantastic - my job was to take the ball off our centre backs, draw opponents out and play around them with little passes, all so that we could get the ball to him in space with everything ahead of him.

He went on to get England U21 caps, play for Coventry and Middlesbrough (amongst others) and manage Birmingham City. A decent, solid if unspectacular professional - god knows what it must have been like to play with or against the likes of Gerrard or Lampard.

ADDITIONAL FACT!

Slightly off topic but not.

Not me, but my 13 year old (who I've banged on about enough), played for Brighton from 7-10, then Palace from 10-12.

He quit football because he heard a documentary about how only 1 in 100,000 players under 16 in the UK will ever get to play in the top ten tiers of football.

He was an amazingly gifted footballer, but it turns out his career choice (which I supported at a wrench - I just drive the car) has meant that he's being trained as the new Marcus Smith at Rugby. He even looks and moves like him.

Anyway, back to the main point editor . In a few weeks we're on rugby tour in Cardiff at St Peters RFC and the important thing is...

Wjeres good to go?

A couple of pics of the boy to sprinkle the thread with hope..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_152407_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_152407_WhatsApp.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231008_174751_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_174751_Facebook.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230505_212016_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_212016_Chrome.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220823-224643_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220823-224643_Google.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20220528-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220528-WA0002.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20210504-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210504-WA0005.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20211209-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211209-WA0001.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20220515-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20220515-WA0018.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220612_091254.jpg
    20220612_091254.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So when I was a kid football was the playground religion, and up to the age of 14 or so was the social caste decider. I wasn't really friends with anyone that wasn't similarly football mad until I was 15/16 (Ben was kept in the gang and serves a vital interpretor every 4 years when we need to understand wtf is going during the Rugby WC)

I played for my school and local youth team first teams, any opportunity I could...But it was mostly for the social opportunities. Cricket was much more enjoyable (and I was more impactful on) and frankly other sports were more interesting. But you played football because that was the law, and it's seeming omnipresence in my (and all those around me).

I was not bad at football - I know one end of the ball from the other...But I was friends with, and played with, players much better than me. I was also chubbier, slower and less confident on the pitch as most around me (off-pitch I was fairly 'life and soul'), so I began to struggle, and didn't like the struggle. And the struggle got worse as I got older (approaching 16 or so).

None of this would be a problem - I am still very good mates with all the people I want to from my old team(s), and my recollections of my shitness (you'll be amazed to hear) are only a memory of my own. And I don't miss playing one bit...But...My Dad used to really support me. I think he saw it as the first thing I genuinely wanted to be good at, and he wasn't pushy in any other facet of my upbringing, and absolutely wasn't a dick, he's a great human being, and I'm blessed that he's someone I genuinely look up to...But on Sundays being on the sideline shouting encouragement - and seeing the disappointment in his face (and his words, tbf, he did not hold back in expressing his disappointment :oops: and was not particularly a Dad that is gifted with an anything remotely chill) when I would get outpaced, or miss something, it killed him (not literally) every Sunday. And I was powerless to do anything about it - I was just shit, and slow. And whilst I could wear it at the time (I was otherwise funny and popular), as soon as I was old enough to look back and recollect and digest the years of him shouting and talking about his disappointment, it's one of those childhood memories that has had an impact that will stay with me forever. I think it's probably a big fact in me not having kids, tbh. I'd never want to my kid to have the feelings of letting me down like feel I did with my Dad.

Anyways, sorry for the slightly melancholic tale...I'm delighted to say the discovery of booze and nightclubs between 14-16 wiped out football in the space a season amogst most of my lot, and only the most dedicated football wankers (or legit soldiers that could go through a heavy weekend and still unfathomably turn up in your boots on a weekend morning) played after their first night in the park with a bottle of MD 2020 and the local girls-from-other-schools.

Back to the local side, as a team, we did have some successes - our very last game together as U16's (or whatever the oldest 'youth age' was) was a victorious cup final against a rival team that we had history and animosity with that was worthy of WWF fairytale (and the winning goal came from my throw-in, I hasten to add.).

Personally I had fewer triumphs, but (very famously - for me anyways) our first season (literally as a 6 or 7 year old or something :D ) I came from nowhere to be the leading goalscorer...Only to understand on awards night that there was no award for that achievement (wtf :mad:) But...One year...

So I won NO individual trophies in (the however-many 8? ) years I played for my local youth time (see earlier discussion about shitness and better players around me...) But one year...There was a Most Improved Player award. Tbh I think it was more of a sympathy award, but I fucking won it :eek:...BUT BUT BUT...And I can tell you the year, it was 1990. So I was 9 years old. And to add a bit of context to the tale, grew up in "South London" (=Bromley, close enough :oops: ). And someone at our team had links to Crystal Palace, and was able to get one of the side along to present the awards (and this is really random - we did not get a Pro to present the awards ANY other year).

So, picture the scene: A guy at our club has a chat with Crystal Palace a few months before awards night, Palace agree to send over one of their players. Awards night is towards the end of the year (you're all probably ahead of me now, right?), and as it happens, now after that Final against Man Utd...And bear in mind after that Final the entirety of all football following public as far as could be broadcast from the famous CP tower...Was Palace. Not to mention that it was a time when the world stopped for the FA Cup. Every Bakery, every garage, every small shop, had red and blue bunting. Everyone just seemed to put down their arms and I think, to a man and back the local side-done-good. I and most of the people from my part of the world could recite that Palace side that beat Liverpool 4-3 (9 months after the 9-0 drubbing) (btw, I'm a Tottenham fan. But I too, that weekend was Palace through and through...).

And look who they sent...THE LOCAL FUCKING GOD!!!! IAN WRIGHT WRIGHT WRIGHT

1712737913780.png

Literally one of my favourite photo's ever. My Dad only uncovered it during lockdown, I thought it had been lost forever. I (and everyone who won a trophy that season) was the envy of the whole 'hood (for a few weeks, at least). It is simply incomprehensible how much of a hero this guy was for everyone around us. I heard he had a couple of years at Arsenal after his career at Palace, but I don't really recognise that. Ian Wright is Palace (and found out later that my Mum worked with one of his ex-wives in Barclays Bank Beckenham, so we are practically, if distantly, related).

I got in a cab a few weeks back around 8am on a Sunday morning out of a night club... The driver told me he was from S London (as they do), and supported Palace. I said 3 words to test him: "And I'm feeling...?"...the driver honks his horn twice and shouts out GLAD ALL OVER. Honestly a blessing to have that memory.

All that said though, as a kid it's of course different, but Football is a game for dickheads :D . They say about Cocaine is that "it is a test: if you are still taking it, you have failed". I think the same of taking football seriously as an adult :D It's average sporting drama at best (Milan San Remo or a half decent Test Match easily eclipses it), but overshadowed with the most obscene financial doping, participated on by the very pit of humanity, and cheered on by reams of grown men not batting an eyelid to pay shitloads to watch and waste brainspace and emotion on these utter wankers falling over and doing their hair. I knew a guy who had a season ticket - his Saturday night mood was entirely decided by his teams result - I could never get it. People who get worked up on Twitter are idiots, but football season ticket holders are the original self-flagellators IMO :rolleyes::D.

Ok. Prompted by some of the recent posts above - players who’ve ‘made it’ and ‘my story’, here goes….

My old man was a professional/semi professional, then a pro-coach. Uncle was a semi pro too. Aunts and other uncle football fans…so you get the picture. I was born into it really. Loved it, ate, slept and breathed the game.

I was a game trier at best - School/Sunday team. Then I grew (5’10 at 14) and moved to Centre Back. From there it was a rapid rise teams-wise. Borough, London schools. Scouts etc. signed associated schoolboy forms with Tottenham (my team coincidentally and very, very happily). Highlight was captaining Spurs v Arsenal (who contained a certain Ray Parlour). From Spurs I went to Crystal Palace, then Sutton United. By 19 I was playing for pub teams and midweek 5 a-side. What happened?

Well, I didn’t grow any taller!! This prompted a move into midfield (my dad suggested MF or full back). To be honest, in midfield I felt the game was being played all around me. My main attributes were an ability to read the game and passing. Great at CB, where I either had time or bought myself time. I would never have made it to the top even if I’d reached 6’3 as I was slow. It’s not just straight line speed though with footballers but quick feet and acceleration - which I lacked.

I’m not therefore, one of those who bemoans not ‘making it’ and blaming everyone and everything but myself for not doing so. I knew I didn’t have what it took to make it to the top. I only regret abandoning playing the game for most of my 20’s (I went back to play a lot of Vets football in the end - and will be appearing at a tournament in the Algarve in September as mentioned by someone else above). I think I might’ve been harbouring some kind of disappointment deep down and perhaps some fatigue with it all by my late-teens. I got my coaching badges quite young and have done the odd bit of p/t coaching - mostly with my son’s teams.

Anyway: players I’ve played with - Jaime Redknapp (incredible touch and vision); Stuart Nethercott (Spurs & Millwall); Dean Gordon (Palace and Boro); Jimmy Glass (Carlisle Utd - only 3 games but worth googling); Andy Scott (Sheff Utd & Brentford) I trained with David Tuttle (Spurs, Palace & Sheff Utd); Sol Campbell, Nick Barmby amongst others.

Best players I played agsinst (aside from Parlour) are ones who didn’t make it for whatever reason but were incredible youth players: Mark Flatts (Arsenal), Oli Morah (Spurs & Sutton & England schoolboys) & Kenny Webster (West Ham).

In fact, having typed this out, my biggest regret was not taking a US College scholarship - about the right level for me at the time and would’ve been a fantastic experience.

All of those who've shared their youth career - anyone else play with or against someone who 'made it'?

U15/16 level, I played as a centre midfielder alongside John Eustace. He was physically stronger, faster, more aggressive than everyone else, had a better first touch, could pick passes long and short, shoot from distance, and above all could read the game like no-one else. He really was fantastic - my job was to take the ball off our centre backs, draw opponents out and play around them with little passes, all so that we could get the ball to him in space with everything ahead of him.

He went on to get England U21 caps, play for Coventry and Middlesbrough (amongst others) and manage Birmingham City. A decent, solid if unspectacular professional - god knows what it must have been like to play with or against the likes of Gerrard or Lampard.
In terms of people who 'made it' after I played with them, not that I know of

In the mixed 5-a-side I playd against someone who was apparently on Fulham's books. She definitely played a cut above basically everyone else.

In three-sided football I played against a few ex-pros (Danish league) in the first World Cup, then against Stefano Sorrentino in a Madrid bullring, who was 'keeper for Chievo at the time (though he played outfield :D ). Again, they were all just more comfortable on the ball, and kicked it really hard :(

Oh, and I work with a guy who I believe was in Fulham's academy.

Fulham thing is a total coincidence, and I've never actually played a game with him, though :(

Playtimes and lunchtimes at school.
Secondary was a blimmin Rugby playing school…I was always the smallest kid in the year.
Started work with regular after work Friday five a sides, and very moderate long term Sunday league football in the Woolwich and District League.
When I got too old to play, qualified as a class three referee, Sunday leagues and stuff all over South East London. The best teams to referee were always Veterans teams, decent standard, decent grounds, and players glad to have a referee.
The Laws of Football at the time were in a thin paperback which I used to have in my sock like a shinpad, if a player wanted to argue I would whip out the laws of the game and invite the player to tell me where I was wrong. My average mark was usually over 8/10.
A lot of players have never read the actual laws, that goes for the pro game too. For example the ball does not have to have been played forward for somebody to be offside.
My best asset was a loud voice shouting ‘play on’ when appropriate, and to give 8 yard decisions.

In three-sided football I played against... against Stefano Sorrentino in a Madrid bullring, who was 'keeper for Chievo at the time (though he played outfield :D ).
Bwa-ha, just came across the photos of this again. I promise you, in that moment, I was kidding myself I could do something about a shot from a Serie A 'keeper :facepalm: :D

1714774275719.png

Aaaaaaaaand, just for fun, here's a great shot of our 'pitch' for the day.

1714774350432.png

(I also totally forgot to mention that Sid Lowe was playing in that tournament, too :oops: )

Played for my secondary school on the left wing. In my second game I got substituted at half time by the P.E. teacher for being a bit too sweary on the pitch during the match. Never played for the school team again. I was eleven. ;)

At the same time, I played for a local boys club. We would get hammered every week. Usually double figures. If we got a corner in a game we insisted on doing a lap of honour. Would come home every week absolutely caked in mud, where you wouldn't take a bath, you'd just pick the dry mud off your legs. Absolutely loved it.

Back
Top Bottom