Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory UK EU Exit Referendum

Yeh I got it all wrong the Sun loves the EU

IMO Murdoch's papers are giving it plenty of 'sceptic rhetoric, but they've not come out hard against the EU like you might expect. Murdoch, as ever, has his eye to the main chance, and is playing a waiting game.he knows that taking the wrong line could harm his business.

It's a shitty choice, be left on this little island with the lunatics we have in power, or be governed by faceless beuarucrats and have TTIP if we go to the EU, I don't want any option to be honest, Brexit or no Brexit, is there a third option?

IMO Murdoch's papers are giving it plenty of 'sceptic rhetoric, but they've not come out hard against the EU like you might expect. Murdoch, as ever, has his eye to the main chance, and is playing a waiting game.he knows that taking the wrong line could harm his business.

I think that his comment today about being listened to in Westminster but not Brussels was calculated to help Remain.

I think that his comment today about being listened to in Westminster but not Brussels was calculated to help Remain.
It was, apparently, quite an old quote that Hilton had remembered. Blair; I'd imagine.

"Britain’s possible exit from the European Union could pose a risk to the world economy, according to a leaked draft communique from the G20 finance ministers summit in China." Amazing how this "leaked" out.

The reported G20 Brexit warning will be welcomed by the prime minister David Cameron as he tries to make the case for the UK to stay in the EU when the referendum is held on 23 June.

His cause has been dealt a blow by the declaration of Boris Johnson for the leave camp.

But the G20 statement would come with the endorsement of not only his chancellor George Osborne but also Bank of England governor Mark Carney and would be the latest in a series of red flags from the business world. Others have included the The credit agency Moody’s and IMF chief Christine Lagarde.

Were you torn over the USSR?

Heh. More so as I get older!

Seriously though, with a wife born in one EU country and a daughter born in another plus all the many good experiences in my life that have been enabled by the "European project" its hard to vote "out". Even when I know "out" is the strategically better move.

Seriously though, with a wife born in one EU country and a daughter born in another plus all the many good experiences in my life that have been enabled by the "European project" its hard to vote "out". Even when I know "out" is the strategically better move.
We're losing you.

We've got nothing to offer you. The powerful always have things to offer.

The voting public is split on this vital question. Why shouldn't there be a referendum on it?
The referendum will be decided by 35% of the population who don't really care either way and will vote on the recommendation of the politicians they trust, which in 80% of referendums around the world those politicians are in the government they just elected. This referendum is likely to conform to that pattern* and those who want to leave won't accept the result anyway; "It was a government/establishment stitch-up," "they didn't campaign on the real issues." And the first piece of social or environmental pan-European legislation post-referendum will also produce cat calls from the likes of Farage who will tell you that "this is not what the British people voted on they voted for free trade and we've been conned again."

Belonging to the EU is not some sideshow but a fundamental issue about where you want to take the country. Any leader who calls a referendum on this issue is masking the fact that they are not in control of their own party. It's lucky for Cameron that most of the public don't care enough about the EU either way to question this weakness.

* Although Toby Young on Newsnight made the point that this referendum will be different to 1975 as the inclusion of Michael Gove and Boris Johnson will mean that Out campaigners can't be portrayed as cranks and chancers. :facepalm:

Last edited:
We have this referendum because Cameron needed a way to keep the Tories together during the last election. And having been elected with the referendum as one of their policies we have to have it. My hope was the Tories would not have been elected as that would have sidelined this issue.

Back
Top Bottom