Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory UK EU Exit Referendum

There was an income, quoted by government, below which people would be deemed unable to look after their families, but I think it applied to rest of world migrants rather than EU. It was quite high also, perhaps higher than average income.

But this has nothing at all to do with the referendum - and was, in fact, introduced by the stay supporters. I repeat, it has nothing to do with the referendum or its outcome.

No, indeed, was just a reply to FiFi's question about whether some workers are already going to have to leave.

?

The non-EU workers who’ll be deported for earning less than £35,000

doesn't apply to nurses, but people are being sent home as Fifi said surely.

You're correct there is this shitty rule for non-EU migrants. But FiFi was specifically talking about nurses, as you say. I also seriously doubt this rules will apply to EU migrants who are already settled here when and if we leave the EU. There is far too much to lose in terms of our relationship with other European countries.

To be honest, I'm not very confident in the future of the NHS in either case, Leave or Remain.
I don't trust any of them to maintain it, and many of the general public are not aware of how it is being carved up and flogged off now!

You're correct there is this shitty rule for non-EU migrants. But FiFi was specifically talking about nurses, as you say. I also seriously doubt this rules will apply to EU migrants who are already settled here when and if we leave the EU. There is far too much to lose in terms of our relationship with other European countries.
But you can't be sure, nobody can.

And yet the Brexiters seem to say that their aim is to level the playing field between EU and non-EU migrants

To be honest, I'm not very confident in the future of the NHS in either case, Leave or Remain.
I don't trust any of them to maintain it, and many of the general public are not aware of how it is being carved up and flogged off now!

But you can't be sure, nobody can.

We can't be sure of 80% of the claims made in this debate unfortunately. I guess this is why it is becoming such a divisive issue.

And yet the Brexiters seem to say that their aim is to level the playing field between EU and non-EU migrants

Which doesn't necessarily imply retrospectively denying UK-based EU citizens the right to settle. My guess it would apply to new applicants though.

We can't be sure of 80% of the claims made in this debate unfortunately. I guess this is why it is becoming such a divisive issue.
I never thought I'd say it, but I may just stay at home on the 23rd. :(
And I've voted in every election since I was 18yrs old, even the EU ones!

Really "the Brexiters" say that do they? All of them?

FFS can we just go one day without people coming out with this crap.
I count myself as a Brexiter but I still wonder whether there might not be some practical difficulty in determining who is and isn't a 'UK-based EU migrant given the extent of the coming and going that inevitably goes on and the temporary nature of much of the available work.Otherwise I do agree generally with the impatience expressed redsquirrel.

I see we are going to get another round of dire warnings from the IMF, Osbourne and other sundry self serving groups, bring it on, seems, given the poll results of the last week, most are seeing straight through their self serving 'warnings'
And most political analysts reckon, win or lose, a close result will finish Cameron and Osborne, happy days;)

I see we are going to get another round of dire warnings from the IMF, Osbourne and other sundry self serving groups, bring it on, seems, given the poll results of the last week, most are seeing straight through their self serving 'warnings'
And most political analysts reckon, win or lose, a close result will finish Cameron and Osborne, happy days;)
I think it is a little unfair your "self serving groups", don't you think every one who by now has a pro or anti position has worked out what it means to them and therefore why they have their own position?

What interests me is that if the audience of the ITV and QT debates last week were anything to go by, a lot of people have not yet made their minds up and I am not clear what is required to help them come to a decision?

I think it is a little unfair your "self serving groups", don't you think every one who by now has a pro or anti position has worked out what it means to them and therefore why they have their own position?

What interests me is that if the audience of the ITV and QT debates last week were anything to go by, a lot of people have not yet made their minds up and I am not clear what is required to help them come to a decision?

The ruling classes,the political, financial establishments are shyting their collective pants at the thought of us leaving, the WC have nothing left to lose so they are in a mood to give the 'sneering elites' a bloody nose, and that bloody nose is long overdue.
The fact that Corbyn,who has long held a dislike of the EU is (even half heartily) trying to support the remain party gives you an indication of the fear the 'establishment' has of seeing their gravy train hitting the buffers of public distrust, and aye, even hatred.

I think a lot of people have made up their minds but just don't want to admit it in public, for fear of pressure from the opponents of their views, the evening of the 23d will well be worth waiting up for:)

The ruling classes,the political, financial establishments are shyting their collective pants at the thought of us leaving, the WC have nothing left to lose so they are in a mood to give the 'sneering elites' a bloody nose, and that bloody nose is long overdue.
I don't count myself as part of the ruling classes but I see my future as part of a wider Europe.
The fact that Corbyn,who has long held a dislike of the EU is (even half heartily) trying to support the remain party gives you an indication of the fear the 'establishment' has of seeing their gravy train hitting the buffers of public distrust, and aye, even hatred.
And I don't see the EU as a gravy train.

I think a lot of people have made up their minds but just don't want to admit it in public, for fear of pressure from the opponents of their views, the evening of the 23d will well be worth waiting up for:)
I actually haven't found people being shy about their voting intentions.

Really "the Brexiters" say that do they? All of them?

FFS can we just go one day without people coming out with this crap.

That is Leaves position. Some 'get the 'best' from the world' horseshit. It stands at odds with what many leave voters interpret 'controlling immigration' as.

It will mean a contraction of the economy unless the unemployed are coerced into those jobs the less well paid EU migrants do now. Or it means business as usual.

Really that's the position of the RMT? That is the position of all of those on U75 who have stated that they will vote leave?

Well your position must be in favour of shipping refugees to Turkey, in favour of allowing human rights abuses against Roma, in favour of ever increasing neo-liberalism, in favour of imposing austerity on Greece, Spain, Italy etc

Liberals have really fucked up any opportunity that the left might have had to fight and centre the referendum on anti-neoliberal, pro-worker grounds.

Really that's the position of the RMT? That is the position of all of those on U75 who have stated that they will vote leave?

Well your position must be in favour of shipping refugees to Turkey, in favour of allowing human rights abuses against Roma, in favour of ever increasing neo-liberalism, in favour of imposing austerity on Greece, Spain, Italy etc

I'm not on the Facespace so I wouldn't be able to do this, but someone should make up a graphic listing all the reactionary and authoritarian things the EU has overseen/implemented. Maybe Urbs can start one of these 'meme' wotsits the yoot are all on about these days. The idea that the EU is 'progressive' in any shape or form should be challenged.

I'd rather they stayed in place, damaged and ineffective, a fucking liability for the Tories. A new broom might get away with all kinds of shit during their honeymoon period.

I think I missed the bit where anyone on the Leave side suggested we would do anything but turn our back even further on those things.

It's like top trumps this argument. Shout 'Greece' loud enough and angrily enough and all other arguments about the best we can get disappear.

It's true that the Remain side has lacked a coherent voice of any sort that seeks to address the maldistribution of resources though and for that reason it's going to lose and any progressive aspects of the EUs work with it.

Back
Top Bottom