Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The debt the British people owe to Gerry Adams...

I hate the tories but I did gain some respect for the then prime minister John Major when the peace talks were offered by the IRA.. if Thatcher had still been in charge they would never have begun.. so fair play to Major and Adams.

i think the process actually began under thatcher after the anglo irish convention was signed just did'nt become public until later

i think the process actually began under thatcher after the anglo irish convention was signed just did'nt become public until later

true , she won hands down in the end . Got exactly what she wanted . 10 Hungerstrikers died agonizing deaths to stand in the way of British Ulsterisation , normalisation and criminalisation policies . Adams gifted them everything on a plate . All for sweet fuck all . Stormont operating is one thing but sinn fein fucking sitting in it is a sick joke .

The process started way back in (IIRC) '72, and never really stopped. It stuttered numerous times, but lines of communication were almost always kept open.

Point out any post on this thread that makes him out to be a saint, then.

We both know that you can't though, don't we?

Now fuck off and learn some punctuation.

The title of this thread. Gerry Adams fan boys, chip on your shoulder 2nd/3rd/4th generation irish =). Away and fuck yourself over my grammar =p

Can you tell me why mention of Liam Adams is not permitted and was deleted from this thread. If the British people owe Adams a debt then surely the biggest individual debt owed to him is by his brother? Liam owes Gerry big time for protecting him for years against allegations of raping his own daughter, which amounted to Liam being moved around various areas that were dominated by Sinn Fein's, kept in IRA safe houses, etc.

Follow the timeline and the allegations which are in the public domain to see 'who owes who'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8424502.stm

The title of this thread.
Reda the thread title in context with the opening post, Norbert.
Gerry Adams fan boys...
There aren't any "fan boy" comments on this thread. That's the point of it.
chip on your shoulder 2nd/3rd/4th generation irish =).
You or me? If you're talking about me, that's about 1600 miles/2500km too far west for my ancestors.
If you're talking about yourself, so what if you're a plastic?
Away and fuck yourself over my grammar =p
No, I don't think so, I'd much rather take the piss out of you about it. :)

No it's not, at least the Nationalist and Republican parts are not. Would you care to explain? Or would you find that too difficult?
Would you care to explain to me the difference? The republicans want a 'united ireland' and a lot of their supporters want 'the brits out now' which also to some includes the protestants who came over hundreds of years ago. The 'IRA' fought a national liberation struggle. I fail to see even if they get a united Ireland how this would benefit the working class in Northern Ireland and Ireland as they would still be living under the same rules of capitalism, unless they think if they got the tricolour flying from stormont everything is suddenly going to become rosey. Can you see where I am coming from?

Would you care to explain to me the difference? The republicans want a 'united ireland' and a lot of their supporters want 'the brits out now' which also to some includes the protestants who came over hundreds of years ago. The 'IRA' fought a national liberation struggle. I fail to see even if they get a united Ireland how this would benefit the working class in Northern Ireland and Ireland as they would still be living under the same rules of capitalism, unless they think if they got the tricolour flying from stormont everything is suddenly going to become rosey. Can you see where I am coming from?

Nationalist, is a term used to describe anyone in the 6 counties who regards themselves as Irish, usually Catholics, not all would automatically be in favour of a United Ireland.
Republican usually refers to those who support a physical approach to achieving a United Ireland though that has changed a bit with Sinn Fein's participation in the current political climate. I have never heard anyone advocate removing the Protestants from Ireland, that is a myth perpetuated by the DUP and Loyalists.

In the context of NI, during the troubles:

Nationalist = wanted a united Ireland through constitutional means. The Nationalist SDLP advocated a 'middle way', did they not, seeking a role for both the Republic and the UK in governing NI?

Republican = sought a united Ireland through armed struggle.

Unionist = wanted NI to remain part of UK with no role for the Republic in its affairs

Loyalist = fought an armed struggle to keep NI part of the UK

That's how I understand it. Is that wrong?

During the Troubles, the SDLP always gained a larger proportion of the vote than Sinn Fein, suggesting that most NI Catholics favoured their approach to winning civil rights over the IRA's methods. Now, Sinn Fein is the larger party, just as the DUP is larger now than the UUP. But Sinn Fein has now accepted the 'principle of consent' that the SDLP had advocated for many years before the Troubles ended, which effectively guarantees that NI will remain part of the UK for the foreseeable future.

So it seems that Sinn Fein got it wrong, that they eventually had to accept a principle that they had poured scorn on, that the SDLP was the best voice for NI Catholics during the Troubles, and that most NI Catholics thought this too. I'm still a little puzzled as to the nature of this debt that is owed to Gerry Adams. As pointed out above, you could equally demand recognition of a debt to Major or even to Thatcher, yet Thatcher rejected the SDLP's ideas outright. I would argue that she prolonged the Troubles, whatever her role in their eventual end. I think I would argue the same about Gerry Adams.

Back
Top Bottom