Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

All cricket is a contest between bat and ball. Effectively, in test cricket the batsmen have 20 wickets with which to score their runs; in one-dayers they have X overs or 10 wickets in which to score their runs. Hence the switch in emphasis for the bowlers from taking wickets to containment, and the paradoxical effect of turning the shorter game into one that is defensive in nature, with defensive fields and defensive bowling.

Depends on your temperament, I suppose. Do you want to see batsmen flailing around trying to score in a hurry, or bowlers steaming in trying to take wickets. Me, I prefer the latter.

So it is about runs....

As I said...

On batting in test cricket:

You generally score about 100 runs per session. It's rare that it is outside of the 80-120 run range. IF you have a batsman that can break this consistently over several sessions THEN you have managed to turn defence into attack and create something awe-inspiring. That's bloody brilliant.

It's also rare, for the same reason that a truly excellent counter-attacking football team is rare. Brilliant, but rare. Judging all defence on the basis of the rare counter-attacking counter-example is no way to judge a game. Most defence in football is about killing the opposition strike force and most defence in cricket is about scoring 80-120 per session.

Given the consistency of test scoring, it becomes a matter of staying in for long enough to rack up the runs. It's up to the bowling team to get them out before they can manage it. Of COURSE you need to keep up this scoring rate, so scoring is important. But that's like saying that a football defence needs to be able to pass it to the midfield -- it's necessary but it will happen anyway so long as they do their fundamental job.

Test cricket is the simpler game, as can be seen from the stats. In tests, your average is the primary indicator of your value to the team. In one-dayers, you have to somehow combine the average with the economy/strike rate. In 2020, a bowler's average is very much a secondary stat compared to economy rate.

ooo, the slow bouncer. Whoopee fucking do.

Also, if you enjoy the short game then great, good luck to you. But I'm explaining why I don't get much from it and, in all likelihood, never will.
same goes roughly for me, I'm coming round to it, but it's all uphill. A part of me feels it's just wrong

So. based on everything that's happened over the last few months, Shane Watson is the only world-class player left in this aussie side. Depressing stuff, from their point of view. I seriously think if NZ played em at the mo they'd win.
I wouldn't even describe watson as 'world class'

I would. He pretty much singlehandedly took you apart yesterday. A small bit of assistance by one or two of his team-mates and it was game over.

So. based on everything that's happened over the last few months, Shane Watson is the only world-class player left in this aussie side. Depressing stuff, from their point of view. I seriously think if NZ played em at the mo they'd win.

You misspelled Mike Hussey

ooo, the slow bouncer. Whoopee fucking do.

It's just a glorified long hop really :D

Anyway, the thing I enjoyed most about the 20/20 yesterday was watching Ian Bell. Proper batting done with greater urgency. Marvellous to see and no cross batted slogs, baseball shots or scoops to be seen :)

I would. He pretty much singlehandedly took you apart yesterday. A small bit of assistance by one or two of his team-mates and it was game over.
No batsman can truly be called 'world class' when he only has one test century to his name

Anyway, the thing I enjoyed most about the 20/20 yesterday was watching Ian Bell. Proper batting done with greater urgency. Marvellous to see and no cross batted slogs, baseball shots or scoops to be seen :)

Yep, just immaculate timing.

He's fantastic to watch in all forms of the game.

Shane Watson is a decent cricketer, not sure what the phrase world class actually means but he wouldnt get in a world 11, Kallis is in a different class.

He's a decent batsman and an ok bowler, a very handy limited overs player and probably a decent number 6 in tests. He is not an opener and the fact he is the best the aussies have at the moment just shows their complete lack of talent.

He is also an utter moran when it comes to running between the wicket.

for all his faults, shane watson is actually my favourite aussie player. good lad and has a sense of humour and humility.

He's the only aussie player who'd challenge for a place in the English lineup - who are currently No.1 in the world according to my own personal rankings. The official rankings are fucking nonsensical.

England might possibly be the best team in the world at the moment, but such is the pace of the test schedule, that doesn't necessarily mean they should be number 1. This summer's series against Sri Lanka and India should tell us a lot. Beat those two, and I'll say they deserve the number one spot.

He's the only aussie player who'd challenge for a place in the English lineup

Yeah I'd go along with that. Now that Colly has retired he'd probably get a go at number 6, he'd then be promptly dropped after running out everyone else.

Brett Lee's the only aussie player with a top 10 hit in india with Asha Bhoseley so for that alone he's my number one

Back
Top Bottom