Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

I have spent a little time when I was young, travelling through the USA, and a lot more time on US political boards. I have come away with the impression that Americans are, in general, a friendly, kind, and remarkably generous people.

I have also come away with the impression that their entire history appears to be a series of self-congratulatory, nationalistic myths. Theirs is also very possibly the most nationalistic society on earth (and it wins against some serious competition,) so every American child, from the point at which it understands language, is told that theirs is the best of all possible societies, and in that way, unquestionably exceptional.

One of the persisting national myths is that the particular Puritans who infested the Mayflower and other vessels were escaping religious persecution in Merry Old England. This is a load of cobblers, as any research will show, and their aim was not to escape persecution, but to impose their particular brand of religious mania upon others. Neither the Brits nor the Dutch were having any, so they took themselves of to the New World, where there was more opportunity to impose that at the point of a musket.

Another myth which feeds into the national sense of exceptionalism is the story that a handful of locals, armed only with muskets, defeated the then might of the British Empire on the field of battle. None of their history makes other than passing mention of the French forces, land and naval, which, for example, outnumbered the Continental Army by better than three to one at Yorktown, and was almost solely responsible for the French/American victory. Neither is the Fact that French noblemen and, later, the French Crown bankrolled and supplied the American rebels with arms, uniforms, and the materiel with which to wage war.

All of which brings me to the perceived necessity of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. At that time, the newly formed nation may perhaps have had concerns that the British may attempt to reclaim their lost possession, or that some other powerful European nation, such as the Dutch or the Spanish (or even the French) might take advantage of the situation to expand their respective empires.

To that end, the necessity of 'A well regulated Militia' might have seemed obvious to 'the security of a free State'. A not unreasonable enabling clause to the following 'the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.' However, the American people, and more recently, the US Supreme Court, has seen the individual bearing of arms to be a God-given right, independent of the enabling clause (which was collective in intent).

The point of all this waffle being - irrespective what controls may be exercised upon the purchase and ownership of various classes of arms, until the 2nd Amendment is recognised as an archaic remnant of a danger long past, and repealed - the 'right to bear arms' will defeat any common sense attempts to rein in the annual carnage from gunshot wounds - currently standing at roughly 33,500. To put it in more dramatic terms - when Americans value the lives of their children more than some mythical 'freedom', there is a chance that US society will attain an acceptable level of civilisation (not to mention safety).

I have spent a little time when I was young, travelling through the USA, and a lot more time on US political boards. I have come away with the impression that Americans are, in general, a friendly, kind, and remarkably generous people.

I have also come away with the impression that their entire history appears to be a series of self-congratulatory, nationalistic myths. Theirs is also very possibly the most nationalistic society on earth (and it wins against some serious competition,) so every American child, from the point at which it understands language, is told that theirs is the best of all possible societies, and in that way, unquestionably exceptional.

One of the persisting national myths is that the particular Puritans who infested the Mayflower and other vessels were escaping religious persecution in Merry Old England. This is a load of cobblers, as any research will show, and their aim was not to escape persecution, but to impose their particular brand of religious mania upon others. Neither the Brits nor the Dutch were having any, so they took themselves of to the New World, where there was more opportunity to impose that at the point of a musket.

Another myth which feeds into the national sense of exceptionalism is the story that a handful of locals, armed only with muskets, defeated the then might of the British Empire on the field of battle. None of their history makes other than passing mention of the French forces, land and naval, which, for example, outnumbered the Continental Army by better than three to one at Yorktown, and was almost solely responsible for the French/American victory. Neither is the Fact that French noblemen and, later, the French Crown bankrolled and supplied the American rebels with arms, uniforms, and the materiel with which to wage war.

All of which brings me to the perceived necessity of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. At that time, the newly formed nation may perhaps have had concerns that the British may attempt to reclaim their lost possession, or that some other powerful European nation, such as the Dutch or the Spanish (or even the French) might take advantage of the situation to expand their respective empires.

To that end, the necessity of 'A well regulated Militia' might have seemed obvious to 'the security of a free State'. A not unreasonable enabling clause to the following 'the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.' However, the American people, and more recently, the US Supreme Court, has seen the individual bearing of arms to be a God-given right, independent of the enabling clause (which was collective in intent).

The point of all this waffle being - irrespective what controls may be exercised upon the purchase and ownership of various classes of arms, until the 2nd Amendment is recognised as an archaic remnant of a danger long past, and repealed - the 'right to bear arms' will defeat any common sense attempts to rein in the annual carnage from gunshot wounds - currently standing at roughly 33,500. To put it in more dramatic terms - when Americans value the lives of their children more than some mythical 'freedom', there is a chance that US society will attain an acceptable level of civilisation (not to mention safety).

As someone who was born and raised in the US, I'd say you observations are pretty apt. My choice as an adult not to live there puzzled everyone I knew, even the most progressive ones.

One thing though, I don't think the 'right to bear arms' was solely or even mainly granted to protect against foreign invasion. I'd suggest this rationale is another strand of the hagiography surrounding the 'Founding Fathers.'

Genocide of the indigenous population would not have happened, or at least happened so effectively if citizens hadn't been armed, and blessed by the government to expand settlement westward. This was also packaged, at least until recently, as brave settlers defending their pious families from hostile savages.

The ever present threat of slave revolt in the southern states was another driver. As an aside, the roots of police services in the US rest in the slave patrols formed to hunt, punish and return escaped slaves. (They were often called patty or paddy rollers - later morphing into the slang 'paddy wagon' for a police van.)

So, part of the mythology that underpins American identity includes white washing of the white supremacist and genocidal roots of law and traditions.

As someone who was born and raised in the US, I'd say you observations are pretty apt. My choice as an adult not to live there puzzled everyone I knew, even the most progressive ones.

One thing though, I don't think the 'right to bear arms' was solely or even mainly granted to protect against foreign invasion. I'd suggest this rationale is another strand of the hagiography surrounding the 'Founding Fathers.'

Genocide of the indigenous population would not have happened, or at least happened so effectively if citizens hadn't been armed, and blessed by the government to expand settlement westward. This was also packaged, at least until recently, as brave settlers defending their pious families from hostile savages.

The ever present threat of slave revolt in the southern states was another driver. As an aside, the roots of police services in the US rest in the slave patrols formed to hunt, punish and return escaped slaves. (They were often called patty or paddy rollers - later morphing into the slang 'paddy wagon' for a police van.)

So, part of the mythology that underpins American identity includes white washing of the white supremacist and genocidal roots of law and traditions.

One of these latter day progressive myths well and truly rumbled here - i remember sharing the Hartmann piece myself on here a few years back:

2nd Amendment Passed to Protect Slavery? No!

I am sure I agree with Hartmann about many aspects of public policy and the need for significant and reasonable firearms regulation. I suspect he might agree with my writings on the pro-slavery aspects of the Constitution. But, sadly, good public policy will not be helped by constructing a factually incorrect and misleading history of the Second Amendment that does not exist, writing about slave rebellions that never happened and totally misunderstanding the nature of the ratification of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

One of these latter day progressive myths well and truly rumbled here - i remember sharing the Hartmann piece myself on here a few years back:

2nd Amendment Passed to Protect Slavery? No!
I always thought "paddy wagon" arose out of the need to clean the streets of drunk Irishmen. While that's a fascinating article, and proves its point to my satisfaction at least, there's still the wider issue that the whole of the US consitution, and US law, is basically "what we have we hold" - so the militias weren't there directly to hunt escaping slaves, but were there to prop a social order based on slavery. . .

Reactions: CRI
I always thought "paddy wagon" arose out of the need to clean the streets of drunk Irishmen. While that's a fascinating article, and proves its point to my satisfaction at least, there's still the wider issue that the whole of the US consitution, and US law, is basically "what we have we hold" - so the militias weren't there directly to hunt escaping slaves, but were there to prop a social order based on slavery. . .
Of course - but getting it as wrong as the original Hartmann piece only helps to hide that fact - and that fact is what much of Finkelman's other work is designed to establish and bring into the light.

Well yes, acts are often symbolic and don't have to be actual. Just knowing that armed gangs of white supremacists are about ready to hunt you down, torture and/or kill you was probably a deterrent to escaping.

Today, knowing the police are rarely held to account for killing unarmed African American folks also constrains the exercise of civil rights for African Americans.

On another note, I'd never heard Irish people referred to as 'Paddy' when I lived in the US. I always thought it was a UK and Ireland thong. Maybe was used on the East Coast of the US, but I want familiar with it.

Last edited:
I think paddy wagon is to do with the nickname for Irish people, but more about the stereotypical Irish cops than the arrested people.

Well yes, acts are often symbolic and don't have to be actual. Just knowing that armed gangs of white supremacists are about ready to hunt you down, torture and/or kill you was probably a deterrent to escaping.

Today, knowing the police are rarely held to account for killing unarmed African American folks also constrains the exercise of civil rights for African Americans.

On another note, I'd never heard Irish people referred to as 'Paddy' when I lived in the US. I always thought it was a UK and Ireland thong. Maybe was used on the East Coast of the US, but I want familiar with it.

St Patricks day had turned into St paddys day when I was living there in the 90s green beer and every orish stereotype under the sun.

Teacher accidentally fires gun and injures three students in safety lesson

A teacher trained in weapons use has been suspended after accidentally firing his gun in a classroom in California, injuring three students.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a gun safety lesson for his administration of justice class at Seaside high school, near Monterey in northern California, on Tuesday.

The police say the teacher, who also serves as a reserve police officer, was pointing the gun at the ceiling in an attempt to make sure it was not loaded, when the weapon discharged.

Three students were injured by debris, including a 17-year-old whose father told local TV station KSBW that his son was hurt when bullet fragments lodged in his neck.

Alexander was placed on administrative leave both from his teaching job and from the Sand City police department, where he also serves.

naLHT7D.png

Three students were beaten with a paddle for taking part in the school walkout against violence

Students who walked out of their high school in Arkansas to join a nationwide protest by children against gun violence in schools were allegedly beaten with a wooden paddle by their teacher as punishment.

According to Arkansas Matters, the school superintendent in Greenbrier said the three students who walked out had not asked for permission to take part in the protest. They were punished for breaking school rules around leaving class and given the option of two days' suspension or paddling.

In some school districts of Arkansas, corporal punishment of schoolchildren by teachers is legal and still takes place, though only with the express permission of parents. Often, a wooden paddle is used to beat the legs or backsides of rule-breaking students.

Right now the homeless are being denied their second amendment rights.
Good on this guy for protecting them.
i wonder who he thinks is going to do the handing-out of the guns and ammo. the state of michigan? violates libertarian principle. the NRA? they can't do that. a group of "concerned citizens"? still can't do that. maybe he can go to the guy who knows the guy who sells them out of bags in his bedroom. the free market in action!

here's one to follow:

A Walmart employee called the police after Mr. Reynolds purchased ammunition, knives and other tools the employee deemed suspicious, and the tip led authorities to raid Mr. Reynolds’s studio apartment in the Collegetown neighborhood on March 7.

Inside, the police found a wide array of weapons and survival gear that left them stunned: an AR-15-style rifle, a shrapnel bomb fashioned from a firework, more than 300 rounds of ammunition for various guns, a bulletproof vest, a homemade silencer, trauma supplies and food rations.

Former Cornell Student With Weapons Stockpile Will Be Evaluated

Back
Top Bottom