Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

First link on that video goes to another stunning interview - this time with Arkansas bigot. lawmaking bigot, I've posted it here:

Gun control protest results in expulsions

Tennessee statehouse expels Democrats for gun control protest

The Tennessee statehouse has expelled two Democratic politicians who led a gun control protest that halted legislative proceedings last week.
In a rare move, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted 72-25 to expel Justin Jones and 69-26 to remove Justin Pearson.
But an expulsion vote failed against a third Democratic lawmaker, Gloria Johnson, who joined the demonstration.
Hundreds of protesters have flooded the State Capitol since a school shooting.

The 27 March attack at Nashville's Covenant School killed six, including three children.
Justin Jones told the BBC that the move had left 70,000 people in one of the state's most diverse districts without representation.

He said an "extreme republican supermajority, almost completely a white caucus" had expelled the "two youngest black lawmakers because we stood demanding action on gun violence".
"The nation and the world are surprised and should be shocked because what they said was that democracy does not matter in Tennessee," Mr Jones added.

On Thursday, some Republican members said the Democrats' actions amounted to an insurrection, with House Speaker Cameron Sexton, a Republican, comparing the incident to the Capitol Riots.

"What they did today was equivalent, at least equivalent, maybe worse depending on how you look at it, to doing an insurrection in the State Capitol," he said.

Yep. Protesting the crazy gun laws is worse than January 6th.

:rolleyes::facepalm::mad:

My understanding is that only two of the three Democrats were expelled.

People should in no way infer anything from the fact that the two representatives who were expelled were black and the one that wasn't was white. That's just just random chance and not at all evidence of racism.

:mad:

I saw a Mother jones article about this yesterday and nearly posted it. Here are a couple of tweets from it:

e2a quite possibly a bit more context here:

When I see people in the USA talking about a “march towards fascism” these days, I know it will take a bit of reading to figure out whether the claim is coming from the right or the left.

It’s pretty scary.

My understanding is that only two of the three Democrats were expelled.

People should in no way infer anything from the fact that the two representatives who were expelled were black and the one that wasn't was white. That's just just random chance and not at all evidence of racism.

:mad:
Rep Johnson (who survived the vote) said in an interview that she reckoned race had a part to play in the decision. She said something along the lines of "look at the skin colour of who survived the vote and who didn't, race definitely was a deciding factor".

6 dead in Kentucky

as per the Congressmen for that state

more gun will sort this one out
Oh it gets better. When confronted by kids protesting against unlimited access to AR15's and assault rifles due to their use in school shootings, one of the republican lawmakers asked them "is there a gun you would prefer to be shot with?*" in some sort of feeble attempt at a gotcha question.

*that's a direct quote btw.

Fair enough, apols for tangent. :oops:

Maybe we need separate threads for mass shootings, non-mass shootings, en-masse shootings* and general US gun situation discussion.

* - not to mention Mass shootings (Catholic speciality), en passant shootings (aka drive-bys) and shootings by small children and animals
Maybe, if there's a new US forum, it could have a "Shootings" subforum, with threads for each type?

Don't make the mistake of looking at the comments on the Daily Fail. Much of it was less than compassionate for them since one of them contributed to Democratic causes. WTF is wrong with people? We're all human.
I wouldn't read the fail even if it was the last legally sanctioned literature on the face of the planet. Horrible as the articles are, the troglodytes that respond in their comments sections are far, far worse....

I wouldn't read the fail even if it was the last legally sanctioned literature on the face of the planet. Horrible as the articles are, the troglodytes that respond in their comments sections are far, far worse....

Cruelty IS the point.

I should probably follow you on turning off Daily Mail. I turned off MSNBC a couple of weeks ago. It was all AI written "articles" that seemed intended to generate controversy and division. The more I read those articles, the surer I became that AI is a bad idea (Humans are a bad idea all on their own). Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Elon Musk. Musk is just trying to slow down the competition with his assertion that AI is a bad thing. It looks like the main reason he bought Twitter was to have data to feed AI development. No one can really claim that he bought it to make money from Twitter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom