Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The American mass shooting thread

I find the use of emoticons on the early pages of the thread (and others like it) quite weird. Why has it become normal to react to something the murder of 20 children with an animated purple face with its eyes popping out?

I know, let's ban emoticons.

Probably. It sounds fair enough anyway.

I really don't understand what objection anyone could possibly raise to being given a gun, for free, by the government.

because i have absolutely no need for a gun and have no wish to have one thanks............

do you really not think that it would escalate things ?

because i have absolutely no need for a gun and have no wish to have one thanks............

do you really not think that it would escalate things ?

No, I really don't.

Criminals will always be able to get guns easily. I see no advantages to ensuring that only criminals have guns.

I have never been in any situation where i could possibly need a gun ( and i doubt many people actually have either) so why would i need one ?

Actually they cant in the uk at least the most chaotic drug users cant at the moment.
Acutally did have a client who aquired an old colt .45 from somewhere thought it was a replica and was waving it about I took it off him thinking it was a replica.
Rather put off discovered it was real and loaded and in condition one if the bloke had pulled back the hammer it would have gone bang !!!!!!
Police made three attempts to interview him gave up because he was pissed every time :(

I don't see why mass shootings are being talked about as if they're a mostly American phenomenon - if Dunblane, Hungerford, or Cumbria had happened in the US, they would all have ranked among the 10 or 12 deadliest mass shootings in American history.
Because they are a fuckton more common?

Surely it's the number of incidents as well as the death toll?

I have never been in any situation where i could possibly need a gun ( and i doubt many people actually have either) so why would i need one ?

Just in case.

People often go on about how useless guns are for self-defence, how it's much more dangerous to carry one than not etc. But what's the first thing the police do if they think someone's life is seriously in danger? If someone's been getting credible death threats, for instance, or has dangerous political enemies?

That's right, they advise them to carry a gun (this is in the USA, obv).

Now, admittedly that's different from just anyone carrying, and to be honest I don't carry a gun myself, although it's legal where I live. But if I felt seriously endangered, I most certainly would.

Wouldn't you?

Just in case.

People often go on about how useless guns are for self-defence, how it's much more dangerous to carry one than not etc. But what's the first thing the police do if they think someone's life is seriously in danger? If someone's been getting credible death threats, for instance, or has dangerous political enemies?

Now, admittedly that's different from just anyone carrying, and to be honest I don't carry a gun myself, although it's legal where I live. But if I felt seriously endangered, I most certainly would.

Wouldn't you?

No.

i live in a country where guns aren't carried as normal, so if i felt threatened i wouldn't be threatened by a gun.

lets legalise rocket launchers, then if i was threatened i could carry one of those.

Just in case.

Wouldn't you?

That's not the first thing the police do if they think someone's life is seriously in danger in the US is it? If it is, it's less effective than moving to a secret location or having police protection.

In the UK, they obviously don't tell you to do that but I'm sure you weren't referring to our bizzies.

That's not the first thing the police do if they think someone's life is seriously in danger in the US is it? If it is, it's less effective than moving to a secret location or having police protection.

Yes it is the first thing they say, because I know someone they said it to.

It's not very easy to move to a secret location if you have a job and a family, and the police certainly can't protect you.

Just in case.

Wouldn't you?
no, I think it leads to escalation. I was attacked a few weeks ago- in the UK, it was a guy grabbing my bag, punching me and me ending up, upset and startled but fine, in a pile of leaves. Two people stopped to help me, police were called, it was all sorted within 2 hours. I'd fought so didn't lose anything
If there were guns all over the place-
- he wouldn't have just hit me once, in case I shot after him.
- one of his 2 mates may well have pulled a gun on me rather than laughing and running past
- I may well have shot after him
- Guy who stopped may have decided to do vigilante shit

..... it all spirals and escalates so very quickly.

E2A- I'd probably have been to scared to fight if I'd thought I'd get shot- so I'd be down one bag too!

it's such a bollocks argument, how many of the 100,000s of guns in legal ownership in the US are owned by people who were advised to carry them by the police.

phils 'mate' and the square root of fuck all else in the scheme of things.

Actually they cant in the uk at least the most chaotic drug users cant at the moment.
Acutally did have a client who aquired an old colt .45 from somewhere thought it was a replica and was waving it about I took it off him thinking it was a replica.
Rather put off discovered it was real and loaded and in condition one if the bloke had pulled back the hammer it would have gone bang !!!!!!
Police made three attempts to interview him gave up because he was pissed every time :(
Really? Because it's fairly easy to get hold of a firearm where I'm from.

That said, even with it's dodgy reputation there isn't actually that much in the way of gun crime in Nottingham. Mainly the only shootings that happen are young kids as the adult criminals still see it as a 'nuclear' option and carry mainly as a deterrent/protection against armed robbery if they carry at all.

Seriously? If you knew someone was trying to kill you?

What would you do then, hide?
So you're saying it would be most popular in a society wracked by fear? I'm not sure that terrified people are the ones I would want to have guns, look at the Trayvon Martin murder for example.

Yes it is the first thing they say, because I know someone they said it to.

It's not very easy to move to a secret location if you have a job and a family, and the police certainly can't protect you.

With the help of the state all those things seem perfectly possible. If the will and systems are in place. I don't know if they are or they aren't in Britain, but I'd imagined they were.

it's such a bollocks argument, how many of the 100,000s of guns in legal ownership in the US are owned by people who were advised to carry them by the police.

That's not the point.

The point is that obviously guns must be quite useful for self-defence, otherwise the police wouldn't advise people who've been threatened to carry one.

That's not the point.

The point is that obviously guns must be quite useful for self-defence, otherwise the police wouldn't advise people who've been threatened to carry one.

of course guns are useful for self defense. so are tanks. so are sticks.
they are also useful for offense.

where do you stop. its a bollocks argument phil, its not even good trolling by your standards.

With the help of the state all those things seem perfectly possible. If the will and systems are in place. I don't know if they are or they aren't in Britain, but I'd imagined they were.

Well they're not. It's not like the movies, the police don't have the resources to protect people who get death threats. They have to defend themselves.

Seriously? If you knew someone was trying to kill you?

What would you do then, hide?
If you really thought that carrying a gun could save your life, you wouldn't wait until you were threatened to do so. Unless your gun creates an instant bulletproof shield right around you, you need to be able to see the attacker and have a better aim and reflexes than they do.

You won't get that ability honed in a few weeks, let alone days. Or have you been spending the last few months in a shooting gallery instead of working?

That's not the point.

they don't advise most people who have been threatened to carry them. They certainly don't in New York State for one, and in most of the world. One person in one state doesn't make a rule

it IS bad advice. You're far more likely to have a personal handgun cause some sort of horrific accident than a situation in which is saves your life.

Not if you know how to use the gun. Which you could easily learn if they were legal. But not so easily if they're not.

Prohibition, whether of guns or drugs, always fosters ignorance of the prohibited. And with ignorance comes misuse.

Back
Top Bottom