Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

4th July being mentioned. Would rather not as im off to festival that weekend and would interfere with usual general election party night. But - hey ho - looking forward to those shysters gettign their commupance.

Six more weeks of this shitshow and then so many cunts going in the bin. Got to hope it works out like this at least.

Wonder what the strategy is, calling it now? Just want it out the way so they can go on holiday or something? Trying to catch Labour out before they are ready, while divisions over Israel are still about? Getting in before Reform gather too much momentum? Seems strange to throw away power prematurely, usually unpopular governments limp on.

Fucks sake. I am separated from my work laptop till Saturday and I need to use it to request leave. I bet July 5th will be fully booked off by the time I can make the request.

Can't see why they'd go now. Nothing has popped up to help them - slightly lower inflation and not technically being in a recession isn't really going to cut it - and they're not budging the polls at all. Might as well cling on a bit more.

Suppose there's always the possibility they could manage to make things even worse for themselves. :D
Sunak doesn't want to be PM any more? They're going to lose whenever it's called, but he could have remained in No.10 for another six months. Guess he doesn't fancy it.

However, government insiders suggested that Sunak had been persuaded that with the economic backdrop unlikely to improve significantly before the autumn, and questions over the delivery of his Rwanda deportation scheme, he would be better off going now.

I guess there's sense in going before the whole Rwanda scheme blows up in his face.

Could just be damage limitation, choose best time to keep at least some seats. A good chance that most students will be disenfranchised as people traditionally move out on 30th June, doesn’t give much time to get shit together, particularly with exams going on in the interim (so no student door knockers either).

Could just be damage limitation, choose best time to keep at least some seats. A good chance that most students will be disenfranchised as people traditionally move out on 30th June, doesn’t give much time to get shit together, particularly with exams going on in the interim (so no student door knockers either).

Yeah this is the crux of it I think. Fucking cynical thing to do given that they're fucked no matter what.

Yeah this is the crux of it I think. Fucking cynical thing to do given that they're fucked no matter what.

It just means that the swing away from Labour will look less worrying in 2029 when the disenfranchisement of students will have been reversed.

That would just look pathetic, evne if it did happen. A plane with a couple of people. Good luck!
I'm no supporter of the scheme by a long stretch but now they've had today's inflation figures, the deportations are the only remaining "big sell". It will look pathetic if there's two rather bewildered looking men being put on a Boeing to Kigali, that's all Sunak has left!

They're going to make sure that a Rwanda flight happens as a reason to call the election. That's the whole point. Those flights are their manifesto.
I know but if it's going to be a bust anyway, can it just get called off before more peoples lives are ruined in their fake manifesto

They're going to make sure that a Rwanda flight happens as a reason to call the election. That's the whole point. Those flights are their manifesto.
I think they'll probably try to make out that the flights will be starting just after the election, and that's what we're all voting about.

Back
Top Bottom